Encrypted radio monitoring KSIC System

Status
Not open for further replies.

westsac95691

Premium Subscriber
I have a RadioShack Pro18 and keep getting a busy signal on the KSIC system until I skip the channel and then sometimes I get quite a bit of radio traffic. I noticed when I listen to feeds from Broadcastify one has absolutely all garbled traffic and the other feed has a little bit of traffic but never the busy tone is it something I’m doing wrong when programming the radio that I keep getting the busy signal ?

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
The TRX series and maybe others have a few options when encountering an encrypted signal. One is to pass the "garbled" audio which apparently the feed provider is doing. Your radio is set to provide a phone-like "busy signal" when hearing an encrypted talkgroup. You have the option of locking that TG out or skipping it - check your radio manual. This should only happen on encrypted talkgroups - other talkgroups should come thru fine.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
What you should take away from what has been stated above is encrypted transmissions cannot be monitored by any receiver (outside of those intended to be on the system). Looking at the KSICS (and any trunked radio system on RR as that), take a look at the "Mode" column in each table. Any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" is fully encrypted and therefore can't be monitored ("busy signal" is heard on later model RS's & Whistlers). Unfortunately there is no way around this. Those talkgroups ID'ed as mode "De" (lowercase e) are partially encrypted (usually enabled upon request). Only those talkgroups here ID'ed as mode "D" should be able to be monitored full time (in the clear). Hope this makes sense

westsac95691

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "busy signal"?
The radio will stop on a Talkgroup known to be encrypted such as the Reno County area and have several beeps like the sound of a telephone busy signal and stop scanning until i manually press buttons to start scanning again
What the busy signal sounds like

nsrailfan6130

It does that here in Michigan. There are several TG's on the MPSCS (Particularly the Narcotics TG's) that will have a busy signal .
The radio will stop on a Talkgroup known to be encrypted such as the Reno County area and have several beeps like the sound of a telephone busy signal and stop scanning until i manually press buttons to start scanning again

dgruver911

Like was said above, you CANNOT listen to encrypted signals on a scanner. Reno Co SO and Hutch PD are both full time encrypted. It does no good whatsoever to even program those into your scanner. You'll never hear anything.

Swat_SW

Premium Subscriber
Hello All I was scaning on my BCD996P2 and came across 2 TG that I can not find out who they belong to 37129 and 37065.
I am at Bonner Spring Ks Heard on Marrs System any help would be welcome

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Hello All I was scaning on my BCD996P2 and came across 2 TG that I can not find out who they belong to 37129 and 37065.
I am at Bonner Spring Ks Heard on Marrs System any help would be welcome

37129 most likely belongs to BPU since it is in that range of TG assignments

37065 WyCo Emergency Management, although it could possibly be used by any WyCo agency.

Are they encrypted or clear voice? What time of day were you monitoring?

HH

westsac95691

Premium Subscriber
Like was said above, you CANNOT listen to encrypted signals on a scanner. Reno Co SO and Hutch PD are both full time encrypted. It does no good whatsoever to even program those into your scanner. You'll never hear anything.
Actually I hear roughly 1/3 of the transmissions of the encryption in Reno County on the Broadcastify stations and now my radio I didn’t know my radio had this feature and just now turned it on but you can change it from listening to the encryption noise or change it to tone sound (busy signal) or have it to where only the understandable transmission comes through. Yes it sucks to listen to broken transmissions but when you are in the journalism business you take what you can get 🤷‍♂️
but again “fully encrypted” ? no that’s not true at least to my understanding of what the word “fully” means

Status
Not open for further replies.