Encrypted TG's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Here in Verm and in Sioux Falls HP has gone encrypted on their HPcar2car TG's, and yesterday in SF I noticed a unit on SF swat was using encryption.. has anyone else noticed other TG's going encrypted lately?
(also, you may still hear traffic on the car2car channels..the individual user has to turn on the encryption)

SCPD

QRT
Ive heard the HP's talking about the encryption saying "you need to turn your encryption off" (one cant hear the other), and I can tell by the sound of the transmission that when their using encryption , its truly encryption unfortunately

dabiker

I have been hearing the same stuff as you are the encryption is getting used more and more lately for some reason. It seems as if they have something to hide and don't want the public to hear where they are and what they are doing. The hp units are also using it in the mitchell area as well. I have heard the state trappers using it as well as the game fish and parks are using the most of all. I get tired of listing to it gets annoying after awhile.

KC0LOE

The state patrol recently installed new radios in all of their cars. They are encrypting all of the talk around channels, DCI channels, and HP headquarters\district office channels. Its first I've heard of GFP encrypting their GF law channels. I don't hear much GFP traffic on the Yankton or Vermillion GF law channels though.They have the ability to talk in the clear of encrypt. Seems like they are choosing mostly encrypt lately.

SCPD

QRT
Are there any plans to encrypt the regular SRC TG's, or any other TG's for that matter? And what do they use the district TG's for?

KC0LOE

I have not heard anything about encrypting SRC channels. District office\headquarters channels are used by supervisors: Lieutenants, Captains, etc. Thats what i've been told anyway.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
The trooper that stopped me in sturgis this year had an xtl2500 with the "SEC" button in the display menu. Although it was not turned on. Since he was in a hurry to get me out of his car (i was not drunk. he was trolling for a DUI arrest.) I didnt get a chance to ask him about it. I bet this is more of motorolas tossing in ADP for free or next to free on newer astro25 radios.

Does anybody know what algorithm they might be using?

WpM

Bon Homme County Encryption

It started last week and most traffic is unreadable.

B_Mitchell

Same here out West.
The car to car talkgroups are sometimes encrypted, usually one of the trooper is encrypted and the other isn't encrypted. Also hearing encryption on the GFL talkgroups as well.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
OK, so when I hear that digital sound on my HP-1 on the SD system, is that encryption? I was under the impression that the HP-1 skipped over encrypted traffic.

There's no chance that Mototurbo is being used on the state system is there? One of my scanners was picking up a mototrbo transmission and the other was on a SD system transmission in which all I could hear was the digital hash -- and they sounded very similar. Thoughts?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Most of the reason for encryption these days (at least for ADP encyption) is that the cost is lower than what it use to be. You were looking at $600-$1000 or so per radio plus any nessesary infrastructure upgrades. ADP (which only works in digital modes) can be ordered for $10 with a new radio. ~$75 for a fielded radio. Anything stronger such as DES, AES etc is back in the $500+ range.

In addition, encyption sounded like voice behind static (most of the time) when using analog. With digital, their is no reduction in voice quaility so for the users its seamless.

KC0LOE

More and more agency's are using encryption. Bon Homme county is now using encryption on the car side. Dispatch is in the clear, so far. I am also hearing a lot of it on Minnehaha's county's talk group. HP talk around, GFP, and DCI talk groups. There is talk that all the talk groups are going to be encrypted except the inter-agency talk groups(just rumors so far). The Yankton PD has been using Provoice with digital encryption since the mid 90's. The way things are going, our digital scanners might be useless in the near future.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I know this is 3 years old but is there any more Encryption going on

Oddly enough...no. HP's will still encrypt their convo's on the east side of the state..but not so much the west. Sioux Falls PD Swat and area DCI units encrypt their convo's, but everything else is in the clear.

I think that in the coming years Sioux Falls Police with encrypt their radios. I personally feel that the people over at Tea Storm Chasers https://www.facebook.com/teastormchasers/?fref=ts have pushed the cities hand in this matter. They post anything and everything that they hear on social media and the local PD is sick of it.

Here is another new story from April 2016 that doesn't necessarily mention Tea Storm chasers but it is in the undertones SF Police Chief Talks Scanner Encryption After Sioux City Considers Idea | KDLT.com South Dakota News - News, Sports, and Weather Sioux Falls South Dakota

As for as the rest of the state goes I dont think much more has gone on regarding encryption... anyone else noticed anything?

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I live in West Central Minnesota and monitor the Northeast part of the state from time to time, mainly monitor Summit, Webster and Hillhead, and almost everything is 99.9% in the clear. Mainly I listen to the main Talkgroups for Fire, Law, EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.