Encrypted Towing TGs on Lakeshore Elect#4

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, let's say I'm JP Towing. I don't really want the competition hearing my dispatcher give me calls. Why? Often, the "first on scene" gets the tow...therefore, lost money.

That said, the "encryption" used on Toronto 1 (1F20) is simple voice inversion scrambling, provided by an ad-on board from Selectone. 200 bucks and you're decoding them.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
200 bucks? You can decode them for free routing your scanner audio through your computer using one of the many speech inversion programs out there.

(So I have heard anyways) :)

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Yes but the setup is kinda space consuming in the cab of a tow truck, when its work related and work has you sitting in a truck for 12 hours the $200 option seams to be a good route to go.

Works well for the radio shop too...sell the equipment to prevent people from listening to you, then sell the equipment to allow you to listen to your competitors.

slipslope

I found some new talkgroups in use, perhaps these could be added to the database?
http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2496

all these sound like they're using that voice inversion scrambling - all towing I believe

32848 - courier
16240 - non-english
33696 - transport
41488 - chinese
38672 - transport
35104 - security

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, to put names to some of those talkgroups:

49264 - Superior Towing
32848 - Impact Courier Services
47600 - Tor-Can Waste Management
32432 - Recyco Environmental Inc.
11984 - Diamond Head Sprinklers Inc.
16240 - Impro Construction Services
50640 - Hatzoloh Toronto
41488 - Tai Foong International Ltd.
38672 - Tri-R Piano Movers
43888 - Arizon Disposal
35104 - Cable Systems Inc.
41680 - York Auto

pathalogical

exkalibur said:
Well, let's say I'm JP Towing. I don't really want the competition hearing my dispatcher give me calls. Why? Often, the "first on scene" gets the tow...therefore, lost money.

That said, the "encryption" used on Toronto 1 (1F20) is simple voice inversion scrambling, provided by an ad-on board from Selectone. 200 bucks and you're decoding them.
If I personally call JP Towing and request their service, but XY Towing shows up first because they "heard" the call on their scanner, or, they happen to be driving by and see my vehicle in distress, can't I refuse XY and wait for JP ? I don't think I'm obligated to let the "first on scene" hook up to my car.

slicerwizard

Of course you can, but most folks couldn't care less who tows them. First come, first serve; nobody wants to sit on the side of the highway. Time is money and all that jazz. Besides, those generally aren't the calls being stolen.

wyldman

It's the accident tows that they want.They get paid big $$$$ to tow it,and clean up the scene.An accident tow can pay $200 and up depending on what is involved.That is only half of it though,as a lot of guys get pretty good kickbacks from the bodyshops when they bring in a damaged vehicle.I have a friend who is a "chaser",and he gets another 10% of the total insurance damage claim for bringing in a vehicle.On these newer vehicles,with such high repair bills,he can easily make up to another $1000 just on the kickback.

That's why these guys are so crazy to get to the scene.Usually,first on scene is first in line to get the tow.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
You do have the right to refuse XYZ towing if they show up first even though you requested ABC towing. However, if it's on a highway and a Police Officer shows up, he/she can demand that you take the first available in order to get you off the highway. You hear it a lot on the 401 and such where someone called CAA but they're going to take forever.

pathalogical

wyldman said:
It's the accident tows that they want.They get paid big $$$$ to tow it,and clean up the scene.An accident tow can pay $200 and up depending on what is involved.That is only half of it though,as a lot of guys get pretty good kickbacks from the bodyshops when they bring in a damaged vehicle.I have a friend who is a "chaser",and he gets another 10% of the total insurance damage claim for bringing in a vehicle.On these newer vehicles,with such high repair bills,he can easily make up to another $1000 just on the kickback.

That's why these guys are so crazy to get to the scene.Usually,first on scene is first in line to get the tow.
So that's why some go through red lights and blow stop signs.

wyldman

pathalogical said:
So that's why some go through red lights and blow stop signs.

Yes,that's why.For them the odd ticket is cheaper than not making it on scene first.They don't make any money if they don't get the tow.Problem is,they cause more accidents and injuries in the process.Just stupid IMHO.

bluesman905

pathalogical said:
If I personally call JP Towing and request their service, but XY Towing shows up first because they "heard" the call on their scanner, or, they happen to be driving by and see my vehicle in distress, can't I refuse XY and wait for JP ? I don't think I'm obligated to let the "first on scene" hook up to my car.

"first on scene" would apply more to an accident, not to a truck you called for a tow/lock out etc.....

wyldman

One thing to note,in case it ever happens to you........

While the police may instruct a towing company to remove your vehicle from the scene against your will,they are only require to remove it from the scene,NOT tow it to a shop,collision reporting center,or storage compound.If you want it dropped,they have to drop it where you request (as long as it safe\legal).They do have a right to charge you,and demand payment.Don't worry,you will be reimbursed by your insurance company.

DO NOT let them tow it to a storage compound,or their lot.Stuff will go missing,or get stolen (stereo,airbags,rims\tires),and this will drive up the claim.When this happens,they will tend to write it off,so then they collect more storage until the wreck is finally removed from their lot by the insurance company.I have also seen them scavenge good parts off of one car to get parts to repair another ! Another rip off.If it is repairable,they will try to keep it there as long as possible to collect the outrageous pound fees from your insurance company.It's not worth the hassle,so get it towed elsewhere.

You also have to be careful in letting them tow it to a collision shop of their (the tow truck drivers) choice.A lot of these shops will have a deal set up with them to charge storage anyways,and will drag out the claim for as long as possible.These shops also try to inflate the repair bill and get more $$$ out of your insurance company,and then do poor quality repairs.They have to pay the tow trucks their cut too.

Your best bet is to have it towed home,or to a repair shop you trust.Once at home then you and your ins co can decide where to have it repaired.

Sorry to get off topic......but thought it might help someone someday.

pathalogical

wyldman said:
One thing to note,in case it ever happens to you........

While the police may instruct a towing company to remove your vehicle from the scene against your will,they are only require to remove it from the scene,NOT tow it to a shop,collision reporting center,or storage compound.If you want it dropped,they have to drop it where you request (as long as it safe\legal).They do have a right to charge you,and demand payment.Don't worry,you will be reimbursed by your insurance company.

DO NOT let them tow it to a storage compound,or their lot.Stuff will go missing,or get stolen (stereo,airbags,rims\tires),and this will drive up the claim.When this happens,they will tend to write it off,so then they collect more storage until the wreck is finally removed from their lot by the insurance company.I have also seen them scavenge good parts off of one car to get parts to repair another ! Another rip off.If it is repairable,they will try to keep it there as long as possible to collect the outrageous pound fees from your insurance company.It's not worth the hassle,so get it towed elsewhere.

You also have to be careful in letting them tow it to a collision shop of their (the tow truck drivers) choice.A lot of these shops will have a deal set up with them to charge storage anyways,and will drag out the claim for as long as possible.These shops also try to inflate the repair bill and get more $$$ out of your insurance company,and then do poor quality repairs.They have to pay the tow trucks their cut too.

Your best bet is to have it towed home,or to a repair shop you trust.Once at home then you and your ins co can decide where to have it repaired.

Sorry to get off topic......but thought it might help someone someday.
I have heard of all these scenarios you've pointed out, luckily, not by experience.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I would like to know who the police officer is telling a tow truck driver to move my vehicle off the roadway? If I want a certain tow compay to remove my vehicle off the roadway I'm sure as hell aren't paying two different tow companies. If the police advise a tow company to remove my vehicle off the roadway then that police service better be willing to pay the tow slip.

wyldman

Gymbag said:
I would like to know who the police officer is telling a tow truck driver to move my vehicle off the roadway? If I want a certain tow compay to remove my vehicle off the roadway I'm sure as hell aren't paying two different tow companies. If the police advise a tow company to remove my vehicle off the roadway then that police service better be willing to pay the tow slip.

Unfortunately,you do not have a choice.If your vehicle is on a public roadway,they have everyright to remove it,as they see fit.Do you think if you just parked your car in the middle of the street they wouldn't remove it ?

If your preferred towing company is present when the officer requests the damaged vehicles to be removed,then you have every right to use them.It's only if your towing company is not there (it usually takes a while to get a regular tow truck out to the scene),then the cop will designate the chasers to remove the vehicles.You still have a choice,of which chaser you want to use,but that's it.

If it does happen,at least try to drive it,or push\pull\drag it to a safe place off the road.At least that way you will not get dinged the $200 accident scene hook up fee,and you can wait for your towing company to arrive.

Last edited:

slipslope

Wow! Thanks for those company names for the freqs! Do you mind if I come back to the trough again?! These are all the active freqs on this system:

1456 - security
4336 - courier
4400 - transport
4688 - courier
6160 - outdoor maintenance
7312 - transport
10576 - courier
17040 - transport
20304 - courier
21936 - transport
22064 - courier
32224 - towing
32096 - security
33696 - transport
34656 - inverted
36336 - construction
36496 - courier
36656 - courier
37520 - security
40752 - towing
41392 - towing
44304 - courier
45680 - courier
48048 - towing
48112 - courier
48624 - courier
50736 - courier
50768 - security
51472 - inverted
51632 - inverted
51504 - inverted

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Sure why not :)

These were posted on (I think) the old Ontscan boards way back in the day, as such some of them could be out dated or have a different user, but. here you go :)

1456 - Aqualine Fire
4336 - Good-Lookin Delivery
4400 - Execu-Speed Ltd.
4688 - Breakaway Courier
6160 - McKeys Landscape Services
7312 - Pronorth Transportation
9456 - F. Santino Haulage
10576 - Up Front Courier
17040 - Absolute Express Messenger
20304 - Atlantic Courier & Cartage Ltd.
21936 - Chair-Man Mills Ltd.
22064 - Millenium Express Inc.