Encrypted Towing TGs on Lakeshore Elect#4

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I used to have the same attitude. One winter a few years ago, I spun out on the highway and dinged the guard rail. Well, the "first available" showed up. I told him that I had called CAA, he told me he had to remove it. So, when the OPP showed up, he told me I could choose from the tow charge to get it off the highway, or have a stay in his hotel for the night. If you read in the Highway Traffic Act, a police officer does have the right to have your vehicle taken off the highway by a tow company at the officer's choice, which is almost always the first available.

Gymbag said:
I would like to know who the police officer is telling a tow truck driver to move my vehicle off the roadway? If I want a certain tow compay to remove my vehicle off the roadway I'm sure as hell aren't paying two different tow companies. If the police advise a tow company to remove my vehicle off the roadway then that police service better be willing to pay the tow slip.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If somebody can verify these talkgroups, then we'll put them in the database.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You have a scanner and you have a set of ears.

Listen to the talkgroups and determine if the traffic matches the business.

You yourself said the list was outdated. Might as well verify things and make sure the database is as accurate as we can get it.

slicerwizard

It's highly unlikely that talkgroups have been reused for other customers on that system. Doing so just makes the bookkeeping harder for Fleetcom and you run the risk of former customers trying to key up their old radios and bothering current users. It also makes it impossible to reactivate old customers by just enabling their talkgroup in SAC.

DaveH

Mike_Oxlong said:
You have a scanner and you have a set of ears.

Listen to the talkgroups and determine if the traffic matches the business.

You yourself said the list was outdated. Might as well verify things and make sure the database is as accurate as we can get it.

The TG list has pretty impressive, but how old is it?

I concur, it is the price of having a good database that is
relatively free of outdated stuff. I would start with someone
running Trunker for a few days, weeding out TGs that have no
hits. Then quickly check each one out to verify its activity.
May take a bit of time, but would make a good group activity.

Personally, I put commercial TG ID'ing to a low priority, due
the sheer amount of effort it takes to positively ID the users.
This list provides a huge leep ahead, cutting out most of the
hard/boring/frustrating part.

Dave

slipslope

between the two lists, all the talkgroups listed are active. there's probably a few more, but not that I heard.

re: towing...

yesterday I heard on the radio where the police found a car that was idling with the keys locked inside. they ended up getting JP towing to retrieve the keys and the officer sent the keys over to 14 division station to be held for the owner. JP came and got the keys out of the car and didn't charge. I don't think a ticket was issued either.

I was surprised to hear this, and was impressed by the effort put in by the police and JP towing. I hope the owner understands all that effort.

pathalogical

slipslope said:
between the two lists, all the talkgroups listed are active. there's probably a few more, but not that I heard.

re: towing...

yesterday I heard on the radio where the police found a car that was idling with the keys locked inside. they ended up getting JP towing to retrieve the keys and the officer sent the keys over to 14 division station to be held for the owner. JP came and got the keys out of the car and didn't charge. I don't think a ticket was issued either.

I was surprised to hear this, and was impressed by the effort put in by the police and JP towing. I hope the owner understands all that effort.
I'm heard the exact same call as you did !!! He didn't need a tow, just someone to get into the vehicle. JP is a contract tow, so I guess they are the very first to get the call.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, Fleetcom doesn't recycle talkgroups. So, as long as those talkgroups have been seen recently (Which they obviously have), then the user information is correct. Once a user leaves 1F20, their talkgroup is "retired", so to speak.

bluesman905

slipslope said:

It's not as uncommon as you may think for a driver to help out a situation without $$ involved. Blocking lanes for safety etc....

It's also not such a bad idea to have a few Hwy Coppers know you as a good guy, maybe one day your second on scene and the first is some retard that is known for being the opposit. :)

Wreckmaster

I drive for the guy's with the city of Ottawa West police contract,it is standard proccedure to not charge for "infant" lockouts or to unlock vehicles used for crimes, or if the officer needs entry to investigate,before it is towed,,,also,we never charge for the other common lockouts,like "locking the key's in the cruiser" or unlocking cars with the e-brake set,so we don't have to dolly them.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
ve3nsv said:
200 bucks? You can decode them for free routing your scanner audio through your computer using one of the many speech inversion programs out there.

(So I have heard anyways) :)

Any suggestions on what software will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.