Encryption and Digital Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmiladim

Good Afternoon

Silly question but being newer at this I thought I’d ask. Is encrypted and digital the same thing or does It mean that it can not be heard at all if it’s encrypted?
Thank you
Milan

nd5y

They are not the same thing.
A digital voice channel can be clear or encrypted.
If it's encrypted you can't hear it on a scanner.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
And are Police and Fire starting to go that route or is it rare?

Thanks again

Police very often switching to full encryption. Fire, sometimes. Very much dependant on the region. Some places are wide open, some are closed tight.

usmiladim

Is is more common for police to be encrypted or is it also the fire department’s? I enjoy listening to Squad calls so I’m hoping they stay open down the road.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is is more common for police to be encrypted or is it also the fire department’s? I enjoy listening to Squad calls so I’m hoping they stay open down the road.
Law enforcement communications are far more commonly encrypted than Fire/EMS. If you take a look at any trunked radio system in the database, looking at the "mode" column. Modes DE (or TE) denote full-time encryption, whereas modes De (or Te) with a lowercase 'e' denote part-time encryption enabled upon demand

DJ11DLN

Kind of depends on where. In my home area there is very little encryption so far and at this point I'm not hearing anything about agencies making plans to start using it, or ones who have encrypted TAC/OPS/whatever planning to expand it either. And one local SD that had one of the latter in the past has put it back in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.