Encryption Coming to Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
This is actually one of the better written articles on the subject of law enforcement encryption I've read. Perhaps it's my confirmation bias, but the fact that there was an attempt to get comments from all sides - the agencies themselves, as well as a media member that seems to understand the role scanners do (or do not) play in their news gathering efforts, and government transparency advocates - is quite impressive and rare these days.

I think it's notable that only one agency representative - from Sullivans Island - was willing to comment, and he showed notable ignorance on the technical aspects of encryption. This should be a red flag for citizens and taxpayers in the affected area.

I thought so too.

A few things, I never understood the argument that listen to a scanner would provide accountability in situations like George Flloyd, what could have been said differently to where a brief radio transmissions wouldn't results in a knee on his neck?

whether a few incidents of citizens with criminal intent did indeed happen which were not commented on, I guess we'll never know how much but its used more often than not as reasons for encrypting. I know some in law enforcement have always snubbed the "outsider" citizenry when it comes to law enforcement activities, they just plain old don't you want to know their official business no matter how routine or mundane it may be

IMO, these days transparency of body camera footage and the quick accessibility is what I'd like to see in terms of police accountability. Many area agencies Ive listened to over the years have heavily moved to "call me on my cellphone" more than anything else. Many bodycam footage have been "lost", heavily redacted or just held back for months on end from being released with clear intent on covering up

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I’ll say it again...how many of these agencies have take-home cars for their officers. I’ll assume the majority since I see those marked units parked in their driveways. So, you want to encrypt for “officer safety” so criminals don’t know where units are...but it’s ok to tell them where the officer and his/her family live by the marked unit in the driveway ? I haven’t found a Chief or Sheriff that has been able to defend that hypocrisy when I ask.

Soundman

I am at the beach I was look forward to hear stuff .But everything is encrypted . :( I am shocked the small beaches are encrypted .I am glad I don't live hear . It sucks for people that live hear . Encrypted Tac Swat but Dispatch is just wrong . Sorry all guys. Charlotte has take them off the free online .

Last edited:

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
The justification for encryption is paper thin. Jay Bender is the longtime and widely respected attorney for the South Carolina Press Association, who puts it in its proper perspective.

caldwest

The justification for encryption is paper thin. Jay Bender is the longtime and widely respected attorney for the South Carolina Press Association, who puts it in its proper perspective.

A well written and informative article? Yes. Will it change anything? No. Each law enforcement agency in Charleston County made the decision to encrypt . . . thus becoming secret police that turned their backs on some of the most supportive law-abiding citizens that they had.

BMedcom

Two notable lines from the Live 5 article:
"The change is happening now because of “the proliferation of police scanner smartphone apps,” according to Charleston County Public Information Officer Shawn Smetana."
But also:
"no agency in Charleston County has offered a specific example of a criminal using law enforcement radio communications to impede police operations."

At least Fire/EMS is still in the clear.
To weigh in on your post, I can speak on this with some experience from being on calls with law enforcement. The short answer is, this does not happen as much as you would think. Sure we may see it on the news once in a great while, but the truth is, most criminals are not organized teams, and they don't go to the trouble of planning or using these types of apps. The answer to that question or thought about how often a crime is committed with a scanner, or a scanner is app, is, next to none. Now, as I stated in my last few posts on this topic, I've been affiliated with more than one dept or area that were in the middle of the political side of forcing an entire City, and County system to go encrypted, and more times than not, local officers would be on scene, and during a search you would over hear the higher ups say, look, a scanner app. The person in question may not have even had their phone unlocked or open, but just because the app was there, "they could have used it, so this justifies our push for encryption." Responder safety is one thing, I get it, but these decisions to encrypt entire depts, are made to keep everyone in the dark, plain and simple.

doctorbubba010

Learner
I believe ultimately from reading this, many of you are right. It seems this is More of a SOA (Save our butt) if anything happens. With that said, wouldn’t you think that big names like uniden are not developing as we speak ways to get back in the door? Is there a reference to the actual system Charleston went to?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I believe ultimately from reading this, many of you are right. It seems this is More of a SOA (Save our butt) if anything happens. With that said, wouldn’t you think that big names like uniden are not developing as we speak ways to get back in the door? Is there a reference to the actual system Charleston went to?
Charleston is still on the Palmetto 800 P25 system. They just went encrypted on almost all law enforcement TG's. There is no getting around it, no
"IN's" Uniden or Whistler, or AOR can do. Only the leadership in Charleston County can change it. And that will not happen unless the leadership changes again and the next folks in charge decide to go another way.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Charleston is still on the Palmetto 800 P25 system. They just went encrypted on almost all law enforcement TG's.

Did Folly Beach PS go encrypted (TG 1900) go encrypted? If not, FWIW they may be the only police department that is not encrypted in the county.

If the encryption movement was driven in coordination with the Charleston County Consolidated 9-1-1 Center, it may "only" be the law enforcement agencies they dispatch for - which of course is all local law enforcement agencies other than Folly Beach (which has their own dispatch center, although 911 calls are initially answered at the county communications center and then transferred to Folly Beach dispatch).

Dan

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually very surprised that EMS hasn't gone over to encryption, they have in many areas citing patient confidentiality and HIPAA.
EMS agencies ARE NOT REQUIRED under any circumstances to employ any level of encryption. EMS giving patient info over radio is considered an incidental disclosure and are covered under HIPAA. I have pulled this quote directly from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website (Incidental Uses and Disclosures):
The HIPAA Privacy Rule is not intended to impede these customary and essential communications and practices and, thus, does not require that all risk of incidental use or disclosure be eliminated to satisfy its standards.
Patient names are NEVER supposed to be given through any radio communication system, encrypted or clear. Any identifiable patient info (Name, DOB, SSN, etc.) transmitted over an encrypted system is a violation of HIPAA because it is not point to point secure meaning that other responders, dispatchers, or any other agencies with access to that channel and are not directly involved with the care of that patient can still hear that traffic. If this sensitive info is required to be sent over then that's what cell phones are for. All of our med units have a smart phone with a list of direct phone numbers to whatever ER we need.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, its ONLY the VA MC's that use any such data over the air. SOP for them: First Initial, Last Initial, Last Four of SSN ALWAYS asked for as proof of patient having VA eligibility. Totally retarded as ALL VA folks have a friggin VA CARD! All they have to do is verify the danged card and stop violating the same danged Federal Law about using the SSN as ID that everyone keeps violating daily! Other than this, only the FI/LI are asked for by some ER/ED as verification they are aware of a transfer patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.