Encryption Coming to Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

caldwest

From the board minutes of the Consolidated Dispatch Center's October 2019 meeting.

" Law Encryption for Radios ‐ Board members were reminded that the July Board meeting, the Board voted unanimously for the NCIC/Records Channel, Each Agency’s Primary OPS channel(s) and Incident channels 1 & 2 to be encrypted on or about March 1, 2020. Bill Tunick stated that all LE Radios will be cutover at the same time. Incident 3 will be in clear mode. We will notify agencies of the date and we’ll ask on duty and off duty to switch over to encrypted channels on that day. Information will be provided ahead of time with instructions to all officers regarding what they will need to do on their radios (flip switch to secure mode). "

Traffic seems normal today, but it is sad news for scanner enthusiasts who are also law enforcement supporters.

N4DJC

Another one down, I‘m surprised Anderson County isn’t encrypted...yet. Just a matter of time I guess.

GearJammersc

To bad guess fire and ems will be left? To bad not like Saluda Co every thing still on VHF or UHF lol

caldwest

Update . . .
Charleston County law enforcement radio traffic remains normal as of today. Over the past several days I have heard units being dispatched 'on special assignment' to the radio shop.

GearJammersc

That's true most information in my area they tell them did they get patient information on MDT or check the notes. So really no patient information given other than Height weight male or female that could be anyone.

Tobydog

Horry County encrypted the EMS to hospital links first of this year citing HIPPA regs. It is something most do not like but I understand as my work radio is fully encrypted on all zones. Just sign of the times

caldwest

Horry County encrypted the EMS to hospital links first of this year citing HIPPA regs. It is something most do not like but I understand as my work radio is fully encrypted on all zones. Just sign of the times

I don't have statistics or data, but my bet is that scanner owners have done far more to assist law enforcement and first responders than those who might use our hobby for criminal intent. Speaking for myself, I have provided information (thankfully received) to law enforcement based on what I monitored. As an aside, a few days ago I monitored a local PD 'talk channel' where two officers agreed that 'sensitive channels' should be encrypted, but not all.

jpm

The fire department tone outs for the EMS calls is not a HIPAA violation because the patients name is not reported during the dispatch. A retired Firemedic with common sense here. People don't clearly understand the HIPAA rules. The patient reports to hospital questionable but again no patient information given as well. I have the same incidents with co-workers at the cardiac center I work at that don't comprehend the HIPAA stuff. I hear BLS transmissions on the VHF MERCI calls to the ER.

jpm

Patients name must be used for a HIPAA violation. No name no violation. I'm confused as to your response. Will be in Myrtle Beach in July. Can't wait with the Motorolas down there.

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
I know Lancaster County dispatches EMS calls in the clear on the Palmetto 800 then assigns them to encrypted OPS channel 6 for any further communications. If fire & EMS interact on a call it is on a non-encrypted OPS channel.

BMedcom

Correct. HIPAA does not prohibit EMS communications to dispatch or the hospital even when it involves patient information. In fact, it specifically allows such "incidental disclosures." See https://naemsp.org/NAEMSP/media/NAEMSP-Documents/Annual Meeting/MDC references-multi-year/MDC-OTHER-REF-21-Legal-opinion-EMS-patient-communications.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1mo5HXN7XTkovET0WV4mTpa8ZK6VpGKK6fGcUKPB2FIlQybpVoO7jdcDI
Correct, HIPAA does not apply to med patch communications, and never has. Even when a patients address is given on dispatch. HIPAA being used as a reason to encrypt med channels or EMS talk groups is often used as an excuse when they don't want people being able to listen, or by leaders who don't understand the true HIPPA laws. Most people I know that discuss these things, simply want encryption not for a safety reason, but because they want to black out the public and scanner owners. I am not knocking safety at all, I know there are times where it is warranted, but I have been in public safety for right at 15 years, and most places simply go dark to keep people from hearing. There is never a need for an entire City, or County, every channel or talk-group to go dark, it is just not necessary.

BlackhawkCB

KM4TQD
Premium Subscriber
Correct, HIPAA does not apply to med patch communications, and never has. Even when a patients address is given on dispatch. HIPAA being used as a reason to encrypt med channels or EMS talk groups is often used as an excuse when they don't want people being able to listen, or by leaders who don't understand the true HIPPA laws. Most people I know that discuss these things, simply want encryption not for a safety reason, but because they want to black out the public and scanner owners. I am not knocking safety at all, I know there are times where it is warranted, but I have been in public safety for right at 15 years, and most places simply go dark to keep people from hearing. There is never a need for an entire City, or County, every channel or talk-group to go dark, it is just not necessary.

I agree 100% its illogical and I think it is totally unnecessary

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
What’s up with the new Fire Ops A and B talkgroups in the database ? Are they now assigning units to one of these after dispatch instead of an Incident channel ?

BMedcom

You can also expect to see most of the med channels left open. The only exception in Charleston or Charleston County would be the ones that only their agencies use. For example when it was stated above that Horry County encrypted all med patch talkgroups. That is the case, however, all County and local agencies inside Horry are on their P25 system that they use specifically for the hospitals. If it is their system and their units, they can encrypt them. As for all of the med channels, such as VHF 340, all VHF and UHF med channels, the ones that are the same across the State and some across the Nation. Those are owned and maintained by the FCC and the States. There is never to be any kind of encryption on those. If there were, we would be out of luck taking long trips or out of area transports. We use med channels in the area all the time, and none are encrypted and will not be other than the Counties. In theory though, and how the laws read, no med channels or talkgroups need or should be encrypted.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
What’s up with the new Fire Ops A and B talkgroups in the database ? Are they now assigning units to one of these after dispatch instead of an Incident channel ?

I added some explanations of Charleston County fire and EMS talkgroups at the top of their respective talkgroup groups on the RR database page for Palmetto 800. Based on my little bit of listening, Ops A and B are more used for admin communications. Fire units are assigned an Incident channel as part of their dispatch for response/ops communications. The most commonly used Incident channel for fire responses is Incident 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.