Encryption coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobweb100

Please forgive this newby for all my newbyness. I listened to police scanners for years. Got a digital scanner when they went digital. When Robertson County TN went to a triple trunking system years ago there were no radios that would pick it up with none in the foreseeable future. I went on to other hobbies and forgot about for It very long time. I recently became interested again when I learned things have really advanced since that time. I was going to purchase a TRX-2 but figured I should just wait for the TRX-200. My only concern now is so much of the country going encrypted including rumors that Homeland Security D7 May be going that way. That’s a lot of money for something if I can’t listen to the public safety frequencies. Any thoughts or knowledge on this looming threat?

W5RGP

D7 is about to switch over to the state system is the rumor
They are and have been fed up with Greer communications for years
The contract is up I believe in March or April
Look for some changes around that time

And the whistlers do not trunk track nxdn or dmr
If your waiting to make a purchase I’d wait a little longer the uniden sds200 is due out in a couple months from what we have been hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobweb100

D7 is about to switch over to the state system is the rumor
They are and have been fed up with Greer communications for years
The contract is up I believe in March or April
Look for some changes around that time

And the whistlers do not trunk track nxdn or dmr
If your waiting to make a purchase I’d wait a little longer the uniden sds200 is due out in a couple months from what we have been hearing

Thanks for the reply. I had read that D7 was switching to state but wasn't sure if they would encrypt. I will wait till at least then to see. From what I've seen on TRX-1 and 2 as well as the TRX-100 and 200 they do support nxdn and drm although I'm not sure the scanning method is the same or true nxdn as the Unidens are. I am definitely keeping the Uniden in mind but have been leaning TRX-200 due to lower cost and there are people in D7 using the 1 and the 2 with no issues.

W5RGP

The whistlers scan dmr and nxdn as conventional
They do not trunktrack either of these type systems
Yes I know several people that are happy with what they are hearing on the d7 system with their whistlers
Until I put my 436’s or 536’s beside their whistler and they see they are missing about 75% of traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.