Encryption for the state eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droid316

does it look like most of Wisconsin Police Frequencies will eventually become encrypted so we can't listen to them?
It looks like a few counties already are total encrypted. Does anyone have an up to date list of all encrypted counties?
I did look, but couldn't find it.. thx

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
The whole state, I doubt it. Some PD's and SO's will here and there, especially on Tac channels, but I doubt you'll see the whole state go encrypted on main dispatch channels. The reason a lot of places don't is cost and interoperability. If you want encryption it adds a whole level of expense to the equipment being purchased and a lot of places don't have the money. Another thing to consider is a lot of smaller PD's and SO's are starting to use SMART (the LEO equivalent of MABAS) the only encryption you can use is standard P25.

Droid316

The whole state, I doubt it. Some PD's and SO's will here and there, especially on Tac channels, but I doubt you'll see the whole state go encrypted on main dispatch channels. The reason a lot of places don't is cost and interoperability. If you want encryption it adds a whole level of expense to the equipment being purchased and a lot of places don't have the money. Another thing to consider is a lot of smaller PD's and SO's are starting to use SMART (the LEO equivalent of MABAS) the only encryption you can use is standard P25.
here in stevens point the city police dispatch channel is almost completely encrypted now, started in feb it seems.. every sound is that stupid scratching chirp.. the sheriff is about 50 percent.. not as much listening as i used to do.. i have been listening for over 30 years to scanners. now that hobby is soon dwindling away. for me anyway.. i liked to listen to hear what was going on in this small town.. well, less transparency now these days. i am typing hearing the scratching now, so i am irritated, sad and mad....

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
here in stevens point the city police dispatch channel is almost completely encrypted now, started in feb it seems.. every sound is that stupid scratching chirp.. the sheriff is about 50 percent.. not as much listening as i used to do.. i have been listening for over 30 years to scanners. now that hobby is soon dwindling away. for me anyway.. i liked to listen to hear what was going on in this small town.. well, less transparency now these days. i am typing hearing the scratching now, so i am irritated, sad and mad....
I thought Stevens Point was just going P25 with no encryption?

Some people assume that if their equipment cant receive transmissions - that they're encrypted...

Happens a lot...:whistle:

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
What are you using to monitor SPPD with?

Droid316

i have a home patrol 1 and my cousin has a home patrol 2. my friend has a uniden sds200? and said encryption is more and more.
i was fine until february.. a few other of people around point have same issues... i am pretty sure my scanner which is old can pick
up most and the others can pick up phase 2.. still having problems. it's that scratchy digital noise.. i am pretty sure it's encryption

Some people assume that if their equipment cant receive transmissions - that they're encrypted...

are you in point? then you for sure can help and make tests. otherwise.. it's going mosty encryption it seems.. especially to the 5 of us in the group i am asking around that live in point.. their scanners are better than mine lol lt just started in february It's a small town. i am hearing the noise of encryption now. and just texting my cousin and same thing on his hp2

also forgot to say, I am on this forum to find out if others around my area have same problem now with more encryption. If it is my scanner and i need an upgrade to a newer one that will pick up everything then that would be great since i was looking to buy a new scanner. But since some other people have newer, better scanners than I do and not working; I lost hope lol. If somebody is in area and has a new scanner that can pick up the transmission, please let us, me know.. And then if it is an equipment problem for all of us, I will get another one that can pick up the transmissions instead of scratching. We are still checking...

I live in Portage County and the stpd dispatch has more encryption to us now, and also the Portage county pd dispatch... Since February
and that is a certainty since i have scanner on most days and nights for years... scanners used homepatrol 1-2 and sds200? so far

Status
Not open for further replies.