Encryption in Marion county?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishn1

I'm taking a trip to Ocala, and Silver Springs and would like to bring my scanner if I can listen to Police, Fire, EMS and so on. Are the Public safety frequencies encrypted ?

lsh1885

Marion County isn't encrypted I don't think. At least someone is streaming Ocala and Marion County Sheriff/Fire on Broadcastify.

KC0MPD

Marion Co going Encrypted

I heard today that Marion County radios are in the radio shop being reprogrammed and the entire system will be encrypted. I don't know about the City of Ocala's system.

whooey

Maybe going ENC partly due to the "Ocala Police Scanner" group on Facebook. 48,357 members as of this post. Marion Co had 350K population 2014, so roughly 14% of the county in that group. I personally don't have a problem with the FB page, but it is a VERY active group on Facebook. :D

trooper890

I heard today that Marion County radios are in the radio shop being reprogrammed and the entire system will be encrypted. I don't know about the City of Ocala's system.

Sadly, I think you are on to something. The Kingdom of the Sun and the City will likely join the dark counties sooner than later.

wrngnmbr6

Maybe going ENC partly due to the "Ocala Police Scanner" group on Facebook. 48,357 members as of this post. Marion Co had 350K population 2014, so roughly 14% of the county in that group. I personally don't have a problem with the FB page, but it is a VERY active group on Facebook. :D

LMAO. Small world. I created that group. Actually I'm at 50,200 members now. I'm sure we'll get the blame for the encryption but I don't really believe that. There's an app for here which wasn't there when I created the group 15 months ago. I also think it's been in the works for a while. Almost all surrounding counties are already encrypted. I can confirm that MCFR did upgrade their radios this past Tuesday. The only thing in the clear is primary dispatch. Just about everything else is encrypted. So I hear the call go out and nothing else. My sources tell me that MCSO will be doing something similar or be 100% encrypted. I also know for a fact that OPD has new radios just not in use yet.

whooey

LMAO. Small world. I created that group. Actually I'm at 50,200 members now. I'm sure we'll get the blame for the encryption but I don't really believe that. There's an app for here which wasn't there when I created the group 15 months ago. I also think it's been in the works for a while. Almost all surrounding counties are already encrypted. I can confirm that MCFR did upgrade their radios this past Tuesday. The only thing in the clear is primary dispatch. Just about everything else is encrypted. So I hear the call go out and nothing else. My sources tell me that MCSO will be doing something similar or be 100% encrypted. I also know for a fact that OPD has new radios just not in use yet.

Dang man that sucks. I hope Alachua never throws the ENC switch, I hear that's the plan though. :(

NC1

I used to live there, and the MCSO / OPD do like to spend taxpayer money on the next new gadget.

And even if it doesn't work they will still take 100 of them.

Encryption will happen probably within the next year or so.

airems

I used to live there, and the MCSO / OPD do like to spend taxpayer money on the next new gadget.

It's already here. MCFR is already ENC everything but their primary dispatch TG. :(

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

LMAO - Really ? I don't think its that funny. Lets see how many members you have in six months .

NC1

It's already here. MCFR is already ENC everything but their primary dispatch TG. :(

Well, I guess now that place is a desert as far as public safety scanning is concerned.

I used to like hearing what was going on in my particular neighborhood. A couple times there were things going on around me, so I avoided going that way on my way out. Once there was a shooting right down the street and one of the shooters was still loose (the other was shot dead by the homeowner), so I went inside my house and locked up. The scary part is I was getting ready to go for a walk around the block when I heard it dispatched.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
LMAO - Really ? I don't think its that funny.

I agree. I don't even live there and it ticks me off.

You Marion residents need to blow up their Facebook page and let the local news know about their decision to encrypt virtually everything.

Polk Sheriff Grady Judd said something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing here) clear routine dispatch keeping his deputies honest, and maintaining trust between the public and law enforcement. Guess other sheriffs don't see it that way.

Last edited:

HenryDavid

Is encryption a Big Brother moment?

Effectively the curious citizen can no longer listen to his government in action.

National security has gone too far.

w6sev

Encryption?

I've been listening for the past hour or so and all I've heard is MCSO Dispatch 1, 2, & 3, as far as Sheriffs go. Also MCFR Dispatch. Otherwise it's been pretty quiet.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
For what its worth ST Lucie county also switched to a new system and PD & FD will be encrypted when fully in use and i think some PD is already from what i heard, it seems like florida is trying to be the encryption capital of the USA. its not a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.