Encryption of police radio is criticized

Status
Not open for further replies.

icis_monitor

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2GA-59) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

911 caller held in Pasadena police shooting - latimes.com
Looks like the 911 caller is going to jail. This story is shady on both sides.

So policemen respond to a call for an armed robbery and find someone matching the suspect description and the suspect reaches towards his waistband. you are right. the officer should have done nothing and waited to get killed himself. makes sense to me.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2GA-59) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

icis_monitor said:
brianearlspilner said:
911 caller held in Pasadena police shooting - latimes.com
Looks like the 911 caller is going to jail. This story is shady on both sides.

So policemen respond to a call for an armed robbery and find someone matching the suspect description and the suspect reaches towards his waistband. you are right. the officer should have done nothing and waited to get killed himself. makes sense to me.

Sorry to rile you up man but I just have to see proof that the suspect was reaching for his waistband, especially in a shady situation like this. Although I doubt they will release the dash cam footage anytime soon.

Last edited:

karldotcom said:
Maybe he was reaching for his scanner....

Hahahahahahhaha!!!

JoeyC

The cops have a really tough job in situations like this.
Reporting party says there is a gun and the suspect reaches for something when confronted. Going on that info should a cop wait and see and possibly take a bullet himself? I think not. He who made false report and ADMITTED it should be duly charged. Involuntary manslaughter sounds appropriate.
Would an unencrypted police signal have had any effect on this situation or its outcome? Of course not.

DPD1

So they requested a transcript of the radio traffic for the event, and they gave them the most rudimentary breakdown of each call that went out that evening/morning. lol

Well, the Chief may be an idiot, but apparently he's a psychic idiot.

JoeyC

Ack, at least they could have charged him with 148.3 false reporting of an emergency but it sounds to me like we're playing to the race cards. Most likely they'll release him from the immigration hold too under the premise that they scooped him up illegally or some other BS.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
The Pasadena police weren't the ones stealing peoples laptops, etc. but somehow THEY are the "lawless gang". I have no idea why the times (aka Pravda West) print that nonsense.

icis_monitor

Hmmm. I see who's going on here:

Good kids are out late at night burglarizing a car and attempting to steal a laptop
Victim calls 911 and says that he has been robbed at gunpoint
Police catch up to criminal who is running because he thinks he was doing something wrong
Victim reaches for his waistband ostensibly to pull up his baggy pants (fashion statement gone wrong)
Police, fearing for their own personal safety shoot to stop the threat.

dower, I think this is what is meant by lawless gang.

icis_monitor

I think I'm just as confused. The title is '...shot point-blank...'. All seven shots showed no soot or stippling, which means that it wasn't at extremely close range. Thinking back to what I was taught about 'Point Blank' range, it is not a contact shot like the entertainment industry makes us think. It just means a shot that doesn't have to be adjusted for long range accuracy by adjusting your sights.

At least these guys got their shots right. The LAPD guys who shot up those Lamborghinis just of the 101 should have to go back to firearms 101.

DPD1

The ironic thing is that many people might actually support them. But when you lock everybody out, you also lock out your supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.