Encryption of police radio is criticized

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonMalice

Pasadena Police to broadcast calls for service in the clear; encrypt afterward

Just got this message from the Pasadena Police Department on June 14, 2012.

The key graf:

**The technical information for the Pasadena Police Department's talk group is 39760 or 2485, depending on the make and model of the digital scanner. The public will now hear the initial call for service broadcast; however, follow up transmissions will be encrypted. **

(I thought their system wasn't trunked, but doesn't the existence of a talk group mean it is?)

----------

Advisory: Pasadena Police Improves Access to Public Information

The Pasadena Police Department is increasing its public information efforts by providing more crime statistic information on its website and the radio frequency codes for the public to listen to radio calls for service.

On Thursday, June 14 the Pasadena Police Department will release the programing information needed to listen to the Pasadena Police radio. Pasadena Chief of Police Phillip L. Sanchez said, "I am pleased to provide access to the department's information sharing networks, which includes the police radio talk group code. Listeners will hear the initial broadcast to include call type, location and time of occurrence. The technology solution strikes a balance between open communication, victims’ rights and enhancing emergency response."

The technical information for the Pasadena Police Department's talk group is 39760 or 2485, depending on the make and model of the digital scanner. The public will now hear the initial call for service broadcast; however, follow up transmissions will be encrypted.

The Pasadena Police Department is also reminding citizens that crime data is available on the department's website. The community can check for specific crimes within a day of the reported incident on Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!. Information can also be obtained by viewing posted crime statistics on line at City of Pasadena or by subscribing to NIXLE. Closed calls will be updated twice daily and will contain information from the most recent five-day period. For safety and privacy reasons, incidents involving minors, sexual assaults and other sensitive call types will be excluded from the daily postings.

The log can be seen at City of Pasadena.

NEWS RELEASE
PASADENA POLICE DEPARTMENT 207 N. GARFIELD AVE.
PASADENA, CALIFORNIA 91101
PHILLIP L. SANCHEZ
CHIEF OF POLICE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information:
Lieutenant Phlunte’ Riddle
(626) 744-7875
For full details, view this message on the web.

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
From what I am reading this is good news to the scanning industry. It's about time that one city starts to move in the right direction on allowing honest citizens to listen to their police communication. Hopefully this starts a new trend on other cities to broadcast police dispatch.

I do honestly believe that 99 percent of the population that listen to police and fire communication is a hobby and we do like to know what is going on in our own counties and cities. The other 1 percent there is nothing we can do with them except let them eventually stick their own foot in their own mouth.

Hopefully other cities will follow. I think it is good for citizens of Pasadena. Not all people are bad people. There are more good people in the world than bad ones. The majority of the bad people cant afford high tech trunking scanners and the others are already in prision.

Good News I think. We will see what happens in the next few weeks. I tried to listen to the talkgroups listed above tonight and nothing is coming through yet.

Any feedback please post.

DPD1

Hmm... I'm not sure exactly what they are setting up. Is this going to be similar to the old LAPD 'hotshots' channel? Kind of sounds like it. It's better than nothing I guess, but just barely. But at least it looks like the public pressure had a little bit of an effect.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes that TG#2485 has been going for a few weeks now. In the Db already.

Not very exciting to listen to however, as you can go hours without a high priority call and then all you get is the most basic info - eg - "415, 123 Main Street."

JonMalice

So I uploaded the freqs and proper setup info to my Pro-96, but I've heard nothing at any of these channels for an hour -- not on the encrypted Pasadena PD channels or the unencrypted fire department channels on the same system -- even though the display shows frequent activity for multiple talk groups. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You will not see scanners marketed with any kind decryption ability ever in your lifetime, and probably not mine either.
That would be like waiting for Kia or toyota to introduce a high performance big block v8 into the market!

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.