Encryption On & Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
As I was getting ready to leave the house yesterday I got a wildcard hit on 2209 on my PRE-500. The ID# was 2209. Today I looked that number up and it shows Finney County Dispatch Out of Garden City. Some times the transmission was encrypted & sometimes it was in the clear. It was for sure Law Enforcement cause they were asking for a DL check and a Tag Check. The dispatcher (I'm guessing) was always encrypted, I did hear the Officer some times he was encrypted and some times he was not. Maybe hope for other encrypted channel's encryption fading in & out?

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I was in Garden City Ks., TG 2209 which is Garden City Dispatch was transmitting in the clear both dispatchers and officers. I know on the KSICS it shows that it is encrypted but they were in the clear yesterday.

Also TG 2225 which is Finney County SO Dispatch the dispater was encrypted but the deputies were in the clear. This was more than one deputy talking in the clear. Today I'm hearing both dispatcher and deputies in the clear. Sounds like it a bunch of civil paper serving going on. 3 deputies checking out at different locations and only staying for a couple of minutes. So I'm not sure what is going on there.

I had read on the forum that Garden City / Finney County was going all encrypted even streets & trash service. so far I have not found that to be totally true.

n0lqt

Sounds like a County Commissioner or someone similarly placed got a new scanner for a birthday or something and put a "bug" in the Comm Chief's ear as it were....

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
I think finney county found that having every thing encrypted is not a good idea during blizzards. There was major trouble communicating between county & city & Highway patrol the last 3 or 4 days I heard several KHP Troopers tone being pissed off due to having to talk around the encryption when major roads were closed and motorist were stranded and needed help. There maybe a change coming when this blizzard action is reviewed.

ts548

I think finney county found that having every thing encrypted is not a good idea during blizzards. There was major trouble communicating between county & city & Highway patrol the last 3 or 4 days I heard several KHP Troopers tone being pissed off due to having to talk around the encryption when major roads were closed and motorist were stranded and needed help. There maybe a change coming when this blizzard action is reviewed.

Sounds like the system needs a new system admin. If setup the correct way you shouldn't have to talk "around" encryption.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
KHP & Finney County Not Jiving

Kansas Highway Patrol out of Garden City is still having trouble talking to Finney County SO and Garden City PD due to the encryption. I am hearing traffic from Troopers asking KHP dispatchers to call finney county & Garden City to ask if they need help on things almost on a daily bases.

I hear Troopers talking with other counties direct. On a major fire in Haskell County last weekend that had 83 highway & 160 highway closed for a while. The trooper was talking with deputies and haskell county dispatcher direct.

Maybe Finney County will relize that encryption is causing some problems with inter agencies communcation.

Status
Not open for further replies.