Encryption question

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleflag

I need to update to a digital scanner as my county system just went full digital. Our law channels are now fully encrypted while fire is still in the clear. If I get a new Whistler TRX-1 will the scanner still stop on encrypted transmissions and if so can I lock out those talk groups? I'm not even sure what type of noise one would hear if the scanner stopped on an encrypted transmission. Thanks.

jackj

I am not aware of any modern digital scanner that won't allow you to lock out talk groups. It might be easier to lock them out using the computer's programing but you should be able to do it on the scanner too. My PSR-800 has the option to skip any talk group that's encrypted but still hear traffic on that talk group that isn't..

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
will the scanner still stop on encrypted transmissions and if so can I lock out those talk groups?
As with many things - it depends.

The radio will stop on encrypted transmissions. However, for some encrypted activity, you have the option to tell the radio to ignore them and/or lock them out on both import from the library as well as "as you go". Having said that, I believe both Whistler and Uniden don't seem to know how just yet to know a P25 Phase 2 talkgroup is encrypted so I believe you'll hear those talkgroups and your only option will be to lock them out when you hear them. Just keep in mind that some talkgroups are full time encrypted while others keep be in the clear sometimes and encrypted at other times.
I'm not even sure what type of noise one would hear if the scanner stopped on an encrypted transmission. Thanks.
The default sound from a Whistler is a busy signal tone (like on the telephone) but you have some options.

Melv7956

How do I get my trx-1 to ignore encrypted dmr channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.