• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Encryption Requirements to Change P25 CAP Approved Equipment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

toastycookies

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security today announced a change in the Project 25 Compliance Assessment Program (P25 CAP) listing of grant-eligible radio equipment for first responders. In order to be fully compliant with all P25 CAP requirements, radio equipment that requires encryption must use Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256. Equipment that uses proprietary or other non-standard encryption capabilities without also providing the standard encryption (AES 256) capability does not meet the requirement specified in the Project 25 Compliance Assessment Program Encryption Requirements Compliance Assessment Bulletin (CAB).

"Interoperability is a critical issue for first responders, said DHS Acting Under Secretary for Science and Technology Dr. Robert Griffin. “The problem posed by using variant, non-standard encryption capabilities exacerbates the interoperability challenge.”

Full article @ https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-tec...cryption-requirements-change-p25-cap-approved

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Thales P125 is a good radio, but quite old and not readily available on the used market. Batteries are difficult to find and costly. I have one with FPP in fairly good condition, but prefer my EFJ 5100 (also FPP/AES), and since they use the same battery as a Motorola XT3000, there aer more affordable batteries and used radios available.

RFI-EMI-GUY

this will cost big money for many who don't have or use (AES) 256 on other radios to match the new ones.
Nothing stopping an agency from buying P25 radios without AES256 encryption, just don't expect any federal grants. Truth be told, the federal grants don't do much to offset the additional expense of buying P25 gear. If an agency chooses to implement DMR instead and work interoperability on conventional channels and via an interoperability switch or console patch, they can save some big money.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

prcguy

Every few weeks there seems to be Thales T25 handhelds on Ebay well under $200 and new batteries are available. I think the last one I got in perfect condition without a battery cost me $75. I could sell you a bunch of new batteries in the $150 range and make a profit.
prcguy

The Thales P125 is a good radio, but quite old and not readily available on the used market. Batteries are difficult to find and costly. I have one with FPP in fairly good condition, but prefer my EFJ 5100 (also FPP/AES), and since they use the same battery as a Motorola XT3000, there aer more affordable batteries and used radios available.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Every day there are 15 to 20 5100's on eBay, with many more accessories. Today there are 3 battery chargers and a lot of 10 cases for Thales p25 and 156 items including radios for efj 5100

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Nothing stopping an agency from buying P25 radios without AES256 encryption, just don't expect any federal grants. Truth be told, the federal grants don't do much to offset the additional expense of buying P25 gear. If an agency chooses to implement DMR instead and work interoperability on conventional channels and via an interoperability switch or console patch, they can save some big money.

I got clarification on this the other day from DHS/CAP; this is the P25 Compliance Assessment Program and what this particular notice applies to is grant funding of radios. If the radio is being purchased with grant funds, it has to be P25-ready and at least be capable of AES256. If encryption is provided in said radios, it must include AES256. Can't use grant funds to purchase DMR radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

(snip). Can't use grant funds to purchase DMR radios.

And why bother with the grant process when DMR radios and systems are a fraction the cost of P25.

Frankly P25 has not created the competitive marketplace that it was intended to create. This was due to 20 years of posturing and market manipulation by the two giant manufacturers. Meanwhile ETSI DMR developed in other markets to the extent that the technology performance, function and competition has surpassed P25.

prcguy

As far as I know there is no DMR used by the groups affected by the requirement. P25 is here to stay with many Govt agencies.
prcguy

And why bother with the grant process when DMR radios and systems are a fraction the cost of P25.

Frankly P25 has not created the competitive marketplace that it was intended to create. This was due to 20 years of posturing and market manipulation by the two giant manufacturers. Meanwhile ETSI DMR developed in other markets to the extent that the technology performance, function and competition has surpassed P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.