• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Encryption - secure communication between different manufacturers

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Except its already in the radios... so there is no 'cost' to make anything more expensive.

Not always. Some radios do have the ability built in. Some radios need an add on module.
I run a lot of Kenwood radios at work. Some of them require an add on Secure Cryptographic Module to do AES256.
And I've got some Harris gear, and that's an added feature, but the hardware is already in the radio.

Figure in export controls, so giving it away with all radios creates some challenges.

And then there's key management software/key loaders, etc.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Maybe the red flag is that many radio shops are insecure about their place in communication moving forward... especially as so many other forms of mobile communication are taking their marketshare. I do believe there is a place for these shops and professionals... butI also think they should be leading a push for things like AES256 (in the US at least) and standards between manufacturers... especially as more and more manufacturers are closing down.
AES on LMR adds cost. Many modern day radio buyers are turning to consumer platforms like Chinazon to buy cheap garbage but want real performance. One only has to look at this very forum to see "professional" businesses trying to cobble together repeaters from junk off Alibaba and Chinazon, combined with the lowest common denominator CCR and expect APX8500 (shown above) performance and comsec.

The LMR shops have no problem sending qualified people in to cleanup the feces pieces scattered about and charging appropriately for it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the client does not want to be locked into anyone specific... including having to deal with a specific local dealer... (and as I mentioned, I am not trying to be a dealer myself).

If they sold them directly or on amazon... I would happily evaluate them.

Again... I do appreciate you suggesting them :)
U

Maybe your client needs to be educated?

rescuecomm

His client's employees are doing things or training for things that will make main stream radio guys crap their pants or get ***** slapped for talking too loud. That's why he can't be too specific about details.

Just reading between the lines.

ssilicon

Premium Subscriber
A lot of secure locations don't allow people to have cell phones within them. We have a many Government Agencies that you can't bring in any electronics or cell phones that I deliver to in Maryland, Northern Virginia and DC. The staff members have to use agencies radios or landline phones to communicate.

The
If it is such a sensitive area that they don't allow cell phones, I would think they would also be very particular about what radios were in use. Seems like the wrong tree here.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If it is such a sensitive area that they don't allow cell phones, I would think they would also be very particular about what radios were in use. Seems like the wrong tree here.
Indeed they are not going to allow a vendor to pass the reception area with an unapproved radio, especially one from China. I think the OP is dreaming and we are feeding his dream.