Encryption starting to bum me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Yesterday the local Military Fire and Police (DOD P25 380-400) in my area decided to switch over to encryption. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I’ve been monitoring them for over two years and I have 95% of the talkgroups Identified, when at 0850 Monday morning I hear a call on ATG for Fire and Police to switch over all radios to encryption at 0900. Needless to say I was hoping I heard them wrong, but I wasn’t. I’m really starting to hate encryption,:mad:. It’s bad enough the Florida Highway Patrol is on MACOM EDACS (SLERS) and the adjacent county will be switching the Fire and Sheriff over to SLERS soon. With the DOD system I still have tons of talkgroups to monitor but who is to say the others won’t follow suite later on. Police and Fire were the best ones to monitor.

DPD1

I agree, it's disturbing. I've heard many people say over the last 15 years or so... "If they don't want me to listen, they should encrypt it". I guess they're calling our bluff.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Encryption starting to bum me out

You got a lot of company there my friend, sign of the times.

FLRAILMAN

RadioDaze

Welcome to my nightmare. Now all I can do is wonder what Eagle is looking for with their Night Sun beaming down on my neighborhood. If the Fire Department isn't in on it too, I usually never find out. Been almost 10 years like this now.

DPD1

I'm not implying that OC has anything to hide. As far as I know, they don't. But what I've found interesting is that, during these times when trust of the government by the public is at an all-time low... A time when conspiracies and fears of the government taking our rights away are at a fever pitch... You'd think something like that would be a huge red flag to those people who believe these things. And yet, you don't hear anything at all. I mean, if I was totally paranoid about the government keeping secrets and abusing power, I think not having any way for the public to know what they're doing would bother me. But I don't recall any of those types of people even bringing it up. In fact, you can go on youtube and find videos of scanners, with comments from people saying they think it should be illegal to have them. It seems to be one of the few things the general public actually thinks SHOULD be secret. Just kind of odd.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Orlando Police Switched in April of Last year, since then the local media has tried to punish them by making sure they report every incident of officer issues, hell even the Police chief Val Demings who was so bent on encrypting lost her weapon and shield and vest when her car was burglarized at her home in a gated community, but to no avail, the recent shooting made the issue very clear when they asked for the citizens help, i and several others responded to her that if they hadn't encrypted we would be more willing to help but since they shut us out we figure that was a big screw you.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Encryption starting to bum me out

I'd like to know the (REAL) story behind that "missing gun" smoke job.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

radiopro52

So far I'm lucky not to have any of my local police departments use encryption. If they want to say something that they "can't" say over the radio they just use their cell phones. But I'm sure something will happen one day that will make them switch over. It can happen at anytime.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Just look at it from the user side though, If you were implementing a new digital system, the vendor offered you ADP encryption at $10.00 per radio that provides complete security for your public safety transmissions, wouldn't you go for it?

Of course you would and I can bet you it will become more of the norm than the exception, especially with those buying Motorola systems.

Highpockets

Just look at it from the user side though, If you were implementing a new digital system, the vendor offered you ADP encryption at $10.00 per radio that provides complete security for your public safety transmissions, wouldn't you go for it?

Of course you would and I can bet you it will become more of the norm than the exception, especially with those buying Motorola systems.

$10.00 per radio. :confused:

brandon

Database Admin
Yeah ADP is cheap and works perfect to block the scanner user. I am not a fan of encryption either (as a hobbyist) but can see where the user would opt for it.

pasadenamd

Anyone ever think we will be able to listen encryption? Was it like this when things switched to digital? Did people think they wouldnt be able to listen to digital?

DPD1

Soon... we will all have some very expensive weather radios! :-(

Well, lets not go too gloom and doom... By far, the majority of the spectrum is still wide open. And that won't be changing in our lifetime.

radiopro52

Anyone ever think we will be able to listen encryption? Was it like this when things switched to digital? Did people think they wouldnt be able to listen to digital?
Many digital transmissions still can't be monitored with common scanners, just APCO 25. But that might change in the future because it's not illegal to listen to something digital. However, it is illegal to listen to encrypted transmissions, so you'll never see a scanner on the market that will be able to do so.

scnnr

Wow I see that the pessimistic posters are at it again. I just bought two new scanners over the past couple of months the PSR 300 & 500. The furthest thing from my mind was worrying about whether or not the Local City Services or RCMP were going to go full time encryption.

Cheer up folks. You bought your scanners for personal enjoyment of monitoring your local services. Nobody said it would be guaranteed for ever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.