Encryption ..the end of the road for scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullmax

I've read a lot of news articles online of various states starting to encrypt their digital public safety systems.

I'm starting to think that within the next 10 years, a majority of systems in most average sized cities will be encrypted.

It's not just police too, a lot of systems are interconnected (Fire,EMS,transportation, ect.) and hence will all be under an encrypted system.

Does that mean the end of RR?

JoeyC

Does that mean the end of RR?

If you are one of the "the sky is falling" crowd, then maybe. However, this gentleman is giving an opinion, and an opinion that is not based on facts. Have no fear, RailRoads, RadioReference.com and monitoring will be here for many years to come.

Bullmax

If you are one of the "the sky is falling" crowd, then maybe. However, this gentleman is giving an opinion, and an opinion that is not based on facts. Have no fear, RailRoads, RadioReference.com and monitoring will be here for many years to come.

LOL ya I know. Encrypt or not, I'm sure there will be still a way to get around it. :)

arvellabill

I have been in Police work over 30 years Ihave worked on the street when a scout car had a radio that was simi dupl, that is the radio dispatcher could only hear the calling car and the calling car could only rear the dispatcher. I worked in Anacostia when we had call boxes on corners for beatcops [not all corners though] at that time this was our only communication with Hq. When repeators begin we heard the same thing. "we won't be able to listen to them, all radios were crystal and you heard either one or the other not both.I had one of the original duel radio it was called a Jolly Roger it had AM FM amd two police crystals. I left DC and went to Pr. George co. they had one of the first repeater systems like the district 1 station [freq.] for the entire county/city this was hardly enought and tring to get the "RADIO" on a weekend was almost a lost cause. Well back to what I started answered this, post, at this time the police had encryption abilitys but they seldom used. When a policeman is in trouble, he doesn't care if the person who responds is a cop or not. Its just the inexpirenced officer who doesn't have the experence to realize it. There are soome thing that you can't learn in collage, the problem today is most supervisory officers up to the chief are just that. They had friends to get their job , they had friends to push them up the latter to that position, now they are making the decission about the work. I have been out of police work since my injury so I know very little about the local departments. But I don't look for an end to scanning. My email is arvellabill@yahoo.com

medic9351301

Banned
most smaller agencies and voul fire departments do not have the bucks to install and maitain these types of systems, if they do decide to go that route i guess there will be grants from fema, or hs or in my area most dept are sharing sites or simulcast to the repesctive system , just my 2 cents

DPD1

Wait... Volcanoes... Earthquakes... 2012... It's all coming together now... The Mayans were actually predicting the end of scanning. I think I remember seeing hieroglyphs of a little guy getting mad and throwing his radio against the wall.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
1. Scannerists can assist public safety agencies.

2. Encrypting police radio systems could lead to terrible government oppression.

3. Scannerists are more in-tune with the real world than average folks.

Perhaps these 3 ideas can be the basis of opposition to encrypted radio systems.

Peter Sz

SCPD

QRT
Maybe you missed my "FOR EXAMPLE" Right in the beginning, I never said it would happen!:roll::roll:

What might that be? Ham radio?

Yep. I haven't owned a HAM transceiver for 20 years, but I make sure to renew my license every ten years. If and when all public service transmissions are encrypted, I'll get back into amateur radio just to ensure that I can still have a radio in my hands. I've been listening to police/fire broadcasts for 40 years. If in another 10 years that goes away entirely, well, I can say I had a great hobby for 50 years. Times change. I'm sure you no longer play vinyl records on a turntable, use an 8-track player or record things on cassette tapes. So find out what you can listen to and go from there. Guys are talking to Australia on 2 meters using Internet VOIP.

Dave
KA6TJF

STEVIE39

Yeah, I'm sure not everybody is going to have encryption- besides doesn't it need better signal coverage?

Yep it sure does need better signal coverage. Distance is the enemy of encryption via digital. I live in a rural area of Australia and we are still using UHF/VHF analogue on Fire, Police and Ambulance systems because digital will need a whole lot more repeaters, HH units and digital encryption doesn't come cheap. We have people in power here who need justification for spending big slabs of public money on sophisticated radio systems which may make some services pretend they are secret squirrels when they are not. Our police in the 'outback' still use SSB HF. Most State capitals here have some encryption bands for Police, but it may be a while before we get it out here. By that time some nerd will have stumbled across how NSA can monitor everything without even trying.

It's NOT the 'End of the Road for Scanning' and won't be for a long while yet folks.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
:roll: Oh geez... is this still being discussed?!! :eek:

I'm requesting a wake up call when you guys are done...
schla17.gif

Scandxer

Its a new day. Time for a new encryption thread!

As Chicken Little is alleged to say, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" :D
Larry

I think threads about encryption+scanning should be encrypted :lol::p:twisted:

If you are one of the "the sky is falling" crowd, then maybe.

The end is near, the end is near!!!

Wait... Volcanoes... Earthquakes... 2012... It's all coming together now... The Mayans were actually predicting the end of scanning. I think I remember seeing hieroglyphs of a little guy getting mad and throwing his radio against the wall.

:roll: Oh geez... is this still being discussed?!! :eek:

I'm requesting a wake up call when you guys are done...
schla17.gif

You guys are funny.. The minute a fellow hobbyist says..

"Hey guys I think this whole scanner hobby thing could be encrypted soon."

You guys always chime in with the school yard antics, attacking that person either directly or indirectly or trying to change topic tone and seriousness by making silly comments like "The sky is falling" or "Oh God not Another Encryption thread.."

It's predictable and getting quite old.

There are some on this forum, for whatever reason, that actually WANT encryption and will do anything, even borderline trollish antics, to make you feel bad or wrong just because you posted something about Encryption.

This is a forum to post opinions. Respect that.

So with that said..

Here's MINE..(P.S. It's just my opinion and it's subject to change, although I'm sure others will probably attack me personally for it.)

Full out Police encryption is inevitable with today's Terrorist/ Domestic Terrorist mentality.

The Militarization and brainwashing of our Police by the Feds and Military Industrial Complex in the name of "Domestic Terrorism" is apparent today with things like the MIAC report, Fusion Centers, ETC...

You see folks, WE Americans, are the new "Suspected Terrorists" in this emerging Police State.

Political Dissenters or anyone the gets in the way of the push for Globalization, will be the New Terrorist or "Extremist".

I'd hate to say it but we may just wake up soon day soon and read in the News headlines..

"The Terrorist monitored local police via the internet website RadioReference.com onto his cell phone."

I mean all the Government would have to do is plant a Scanner capable cell phone on one of there phony Terrorist working for the cia and this site would be shut down fast in the name of "Homeland Security".

Well anyway, to summarize, I can see Police transmissions being encrypted in the name of Homeland Security one way or another.

Once they connect our fun and innocent hobby of monitoring scanners, with Terrorism, then it will be lights out.

Now if you would have asked me this question before 9/11 my answer probably would've been ...

"You are Crazy. The sky isn't falling!" :)

Last edited:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Something is intensely weird about the USA these days. Our President, who has (?) 10,000 nuke weapons at his fingertips, seems to be pathologically afraid of some guy who might be living in a cave somewhere. [ Maybe it is the guy from Monty Python - "What is your favorite color?" ]

Of course - we know that "terrorists" do exist. They do blow up subways and planes. But perhaps a little perspective is in order.

Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.