Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeb

There is a person in the DFW area ( I believe Denton) that had told me all LE had to be encrypted by September 1,2021. What is significant about that date I have know idea thats just what he said.

Thanks for the reply

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is a person in the DFW area ( I believe Denton) that had told me all LE had to be encrypted by September 1,2021. What is significant about that date I have know idea thats just what he said.

Thanks for the reply

Well, if you talk to him/her again, find out some details, and preferably a web link to something from the FCC, DHS, etc. Like I said, none of us have heard anything. If it's true, they are not doing a very good job notifying the people that actually need to know.

And none of it would address the thousands of analog only systems that are out there still running. Most agencies have zero budget to roll out new radios to support it.

radiopro52

Thanks for the reply

Maybe he was only referring to LE in the DFW area? Surely not nationwide hopefully, but anything is possible in 2020.

marksmith

Time to stop listening to anything said by such person. Clearly credibility should be a factor in any future utterances. No such policy or date exists. It would not be affordable for a huge swath of the departments out there, just as one consideration.
Require more proof in future discussions.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that the renewed focus on police actions could help to fight the encryption movement? (Ex. the “we need transparency“ argument). Or am I grasping at straws?

fredva

Feed Provider
Is it possible that the renewed focus on police actions could help to fight the encryption movement? (Ex. the “we need transparency“ argument). Or am I grasping at straws?
That's deviating from the OP's question a little bit, but I think it could go either way. The transparency argument vs. claims that police couldn't stop some of the looting, arson, road blockages, and attacks on officers because bad people were hearing their communications. There are already threads on that topic (in the California forum, for one), so it may be better to address that question elsewhere.

tyler3328

Some of the systems in Texas are undergoing updates. New Cores, Sites, TGs, and counties joining or moving off and many features that haven't been able to be used due to outdated equiptment. There may be a mandate by that particular system that says agencies connected must have a capability of encryption. Some systems have a region wide Key and then agencies have separate keys for their TAC channels. With that some Agencies maybe going secure and Admin is telling everyone to have the option for interop purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.