Encyrption coming to central virgnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I am also wondering what the local media knows and thinks about total encryption of all PD communications. I bet they have a lot to say about this and I bet very little would be positive.I bet they use a scanner to monitor PD coms just as we do .I am not a news director for none of the local TV or Radio stations in the area.But i would bet they have a scanner in their news rooms to monitor breaking news and traffic alerts I may be wrong but I doubt local PD gives them an immediate phone call when a situation in the area is developing..If they do not already know whats coming maybe they will start talking to local elected officials about what is ahead of us.I bet when reporters and cameras show up these Police Chiefs and local officials may think twice.Of course we all know the will play the officer safety card.Thank you for this great forum .God bless

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I think the phone apps are more of a problem than law abiding scanner/hobbyist.I think the state or federal government should pass laws that make phone apps illegal to sell.Now I know what will be said.That criminals will get their hands on phone apps despite them being illegal.Regarding encrpytion not able to be cracked. I do not believe that it is impossible.I just read that the German Government was able to monitor supposedly secure communications that Secretary of States Clinton and Kerry were using.So do not tell me that encrypted radio communications can not be monitored.I bet as we have this debate someone has already figured a way to defeat it.I know that is illegal but do you the criminal element cares.

SCPD

QRT
A good system utilizing otap/otar/re key on a frequent basis is where that comes into play. One thing is where at first it is done over time things become lax and someone puts it off or forgets about it. If the tools are used properly it will combat that type of problem. Will it solve it probably not but methods are taken to curb it. As for them 3 letter agencies it's possible. Specially in intelligence. But there are counter measures for that to combat that sort of eavesdropping. It could be a never ending discussion.

beastieboy101

I am also wondering what the local media knows and thinks about total encryption of all PD communications. I bet they have a lot to say about this and I bet very little would be positive.I bet they use a scanner to monitor PD coms just as we do .I am not a news director for none of the local TV or Radio stations in the area.But i would bet they have a scanner in their news rooms to monitor breaking news and traffic alerts I may be wrong but I doubt local PD gives them an immediate phone call when a situation in the area is developing..If they do not already know whats coming maybe they will start talking to local elected officials about what is ahead of us.I bet when reporters and cameras show up these Police Chiefs and local officials may think twice.Of course we all know the will play the officer safety card.Thank you for this great forum .God bless

Check out these behind the scenes video of one of the DC local radio stations scanner setups. Pretty crazy setups. I am sure they are going to hate anymore encryption up this way. Especially if DC fire/ems goes encrypted like the DC police already are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSU03iBddNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKSKxq8rMkc

Last edited:

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
This ought to be a major issue with the local media here in central Va.What do the police have to hide from the media public .I think it has to with something possibly happening here in Central Va like happened in Ferguson Missouri.I also read about the Little Rock Arkansas police going 100% encrypted and their local media is very upset. Maybe our local media should pay attention to whats happening out there and also in Washington DC where local PD is 100% encrypted.Now i hear DC Fire Dept is going encrypted.The American Revolution started with a few people protesting British tyranny .I think it is for citizens to let our voices be heard in an open public forum.Maybe the local officials will pay more attention.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Look people its late I am tired of several of my posts being deleted. I am about to give up raise the white flag quit fighting the issue let this hobby die.Feel like i wasted my money on this site .Should have joined the NRA My county says they are not encrypting.You people in RICHMOND/HENRICO/CHESTERFIELD and lets not forget poor ol cash strapped COLONIAL HEIGHTS.I think I am going sit back a while and let your citizens take on the encryption issue. think I will spend my money on GUNS and AMMO.Good luck to you all.By the way i am going to ask everyone not to spend money in your localities.Bring your money and businesses to HANOVER

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Look people its late I am tired of several of my posts being deleted.

and the moderators are getting tired of having to clean up after you because you can't follow the rules.

The only posts that have been deleted were two in the Community Announcements and News forum because you couldn't follow the rules for posting in that forum.

I have also taken several threads that you started in this forum on the same topic and merged them into this thread.

SCPD

QRT
My apologies for the mistakes i have made .They were never intentional.

Have you ever considered going down to your Elected officials and telling them all this? I highly doubt your opinion will matter to the Police Chief or system administrator when it comes to the topic of Encryption.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I live in Hanover County.When this issue first leaked out a few months ago in the the VA forum i thought i read that HANOVER COUNTY was going to encrypt.I began talking to Board of Supervisors members.They told they were not aware of this issue.I have been assured by top official in this county the only channel that the will be encrypted is Interop because Henrico is going full encrpytion by 2018.Thank you Hanover County for realizing how valuable an asset scanner listeners are.Cannot say same about Henrico.I urge your citizens to call your Board of supervisors if you do not agree with 100% encryption.Let your voices be heard before it is too late .Richmond / Chesterfield/Colonial Heights you need to do the same. So start making those phone calls NOW IIIIIIIII. before it is too late.GOD bless you all.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago I was having a friendly conversation with two HCPD officers.Conversation was very pleasant until I brought up the subject of encrypting of the new radio system that is suppose to be in use by 2018.You should have seen the look they gave me.They suddenly said they had to go.I wonder if their officers have recieved a memo not to speak about the subject.A couple week ago had the same conversation with another HCPD officer and we talked at length about the subject.Said he had no problem with public listening in. Even said members of own family listening in.Also said he did not fear for his safety because of listeners.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if their officers have recieved a memo not to speak about the subject.

Law enforcement officers, EMS providers, and firefighters don't generally know nearly as much about their radios and/or radio systems as people think. They just know how to change channels and press the button on the side. I would very highly doubt that a regular street officer knows much about the new radio system, especially how encryption will be used.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind many times the "Rank and File" aren't really asked for their opinions about things. I've encountered that many many times over a whole lot of years.

Just one example from eons ago. A new fire chief that didn't approve of code 3 responses by anybody unless specifically authorized by command took over. He got policy set in his town, in violation of state law I might add, restricting anybody from rolling code without that authorization.

This was to the point where the city police would pull over any ambulance running code without city's permission.

The rank and file absolutely hated it mainly because it always delayed responses by the ambulances to the scene. This was quite serious too as it applied to any type of call even full arrests.

It also meant no ambulance could respond code from anywhere within their city to another location outside his city either. This was especially important because the major regional hospital was within that city. Lots of times would get pulled out to run a fire call from there into county's area and this stopped us.

So point being it could be just a very few top level people have a hair up their a$$ about it and the regulars don't give a darn. That's the way it is out here. New Sheriff had a hair and got money wasted on a crap system that provides encryption so people can't hear the barking dog calls. Only one or two deputies at most have a problem with "Scannerland" as they call the public. Its only the new Sheriff who drove the whole thing with essentially no support from deputies.

Fortunately he went with one of the "Rest" for that new system and it doesn't work worth crap. LOL

One guy with power can totally screw the whole pooch.

Last edited:

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Another thought occured to me was I was told by Hanover Officials that the only channel that will be encrypted by them will be interop channel with Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield when they all encrypt their new system.Will this new encrypted system have interop with Va Stars Radio . Looks like they look into a system like the ORION system that is used in southeast VA To me that would make more sense.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Would like for hobbyist in Central Va to consider what is going on in Little Rock Ark.May be we ought think about what we as a group should look into the legalities of this issue before it is too late.We have a lot more time than they did.Do not forget there are elections in November and i know police chiefs are not elected but others who have a say in the matter are ie Board of Supervisor Members.

gcgrotz

A lot of Virginian's don't know that we're unique in the US in that all of our cities and counties are completely independent of one another - in other parts of the US, not only are countywide PD's unusual (SO's would be more common), but having the county facilities located in a city within the county wouldn't be unusual either.

The only other completely independent city/county relationships are Baltimore City & County, St. Louis City & County, and Las Vegas & Clark County.

Sorry for the sidebar...

Anyway, I can also confirm that Henrico PD will be 100% encrypted. Henrico Fire will not be running encryption.

Sorry I'm late jumping in here but I have to add a note on this. Until a few years ago the Albemarle County PD was in the city of Charlottesville, in the back of what is still the County Office building. The County Court is still in the city also, where it has been for 200 years.

Also, wasn't Henrico's Courthouse in the city for a couple hundred years too?

W4UVV

Virginia has only 35 independent cities

A lot of Virginian's don't know that we're unique in the US in that all of our cities and counties are completely independent of one another - in other parts of the US, not only are countywide PD's unusual (SO's would be more common), but having the county facilities located in a city within the county wouldn't be unusual either.

The only other completely independent city/county relationships are Baltimore City & County, St. Louis City & County, and Las Vegas & Clark County.

Sorry for the sidebar...

Anyway, I can also confirm that Henrico PD will be 100% encrypted. Henrico Fire will not be running encryption.

Not all Virginia cities are independent. Only 35 Virginia cities are independent. The rest are incorporated within their respective counties.

John
W4UVV

kc4jgc

.... The rest are incorporated within their respective counties.

John
W4UVV

Those are called "towns". Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent; I was just noting an inaccuracy on the wikipedia page on the link provided above.

Back to the subject at hand.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.