Encyrption coming to central virgnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Thank to Ice Blue Eyes post about encryption earlier I have been talking to local officials in Hanover County I have been assured that Hanover has no plans to further encrypt their system However you listeners of Metro Radio are not as lucky. Talked to officials in Henrico and was told their police chief is the one who will make that decision for them I called Chief Middleton myself and told me has made the decision to encrypt their system.I urged him to reconsider. He said he wouldn't do to his concerns about officer safety. I strongly urge citizens of Henrico to call their local elected officials with their disapproval of this decision.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Officer safety......BS!!!!!!!!

Betting some of those out on the roads actually working (Not from behind a desk) Would not mind having some folks looking after their 6 if things were to go bad on a call and the closest backup is 35 miles away.

Love how all these sissy department's need encryption. Maybe if they were BIG CITY Police then I could see SOME but not all encryption.

Scanning as we knew it is almost over!

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Have you seen the size of HPD? They certainly are NOT a small, sissy department, nor is backup an issue. While I don't agree with encrypting all police communications, I can certainly understand Chief Middleton's reasoning behind doing so.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Have you seen the size of HPD? They certainly are NOT a small, sissy department, nor is backup an issue. While I don't agree with encrypting all police communications, I can certainly understand Chief Middleton's reasoning behind doing so.

Sorry, I am originally from Chicago these are all smaller departments compared to what I am used to.

There really is no need for encryption unless it is tac/ detail channels. Period.IMO

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Central Virginia Encrpytion

To all hobbyist in Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield. You Need to contact the elected officials in your respective counties and cities to voice your displeasure over the probability of your system being encrpyted in the near future They are in the planning stages of the new system and now is the time to speak before the system is purchased and becomes operational

SCPD

QRT
This issue has been exhausted allot. It is my understanding eventually all law enforcement within the usa is to do it.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
To all fellow hobbyist in central Va we should try to setup a meeting so we can discuss this issue among ourselves I am open to discuss a time and a meeting place where we can all meet and discuss this issue

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Regional radio encryption

I was just curious.Has anyone made any attempt to make contact with any officials in the counties and city of richmond about how much encryption they plan on putting into the new regional radio radio system once it is purchased and implemented.. We still have time to let our voices be heard.These politicians want our vote . So please try to engage these people about our concerns Tell your friends and neigbors about our concerns and urge them to make phone calls our behalf .I thought maybe we should alert the local media about this issue to see what their thoughts are since i am pretty sure they also use scanners to monitor breaking news stories.Maybe they are doing this because of the media. I really do not know. All i can say is we all set back and do nothing we might start selling our scanners now while we can still get a fair market price fort them. So please engage your local government officials before we lose this great hobby we all love so much.So if you so accept this challenge lets start ringing those phones or showing up at Board of Supervisors meetings and let our voices be heard God bless you all and lets get the ball rolling before it is tool late Please reply in this forum and let us know what kind of responses you recieve .Good luck and God bless all of you Thank you so much for your time and efforts .

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Interesting that someone thinks HCPD HQ is in Richmond. Why would a county PD's HQ be in a city?

A lot of Virginian's don't know that we're unique in the US in that all of our cities and counties are completely independent of one another - in other parts of the US, not only are countywide PD's unusual (SO's would be more common), but having the county facilities located in a city within the county wouldn't be unusual either.

The only other completely independent city/county relationships are Baltimore City & County, St. Louis City & County, and Las Vegas & Clark County.

Sorry for the sidebar...

Anyway, I can also confirm that Henrico PD will be 100% encrypted. Henrico Fire will not be running encryption.

Last edited:

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber

Thank you Box Alarm for your post .From what i have read in the past i believe you are a current or retired Henrico firefighter.I am a resident of Hanover County but i would like to thank you for your service to the County Of Henrico. I look forward to future response from you on this matter. I dont understand why HPD needs to go full encryption.
They are already the most encrypted agency in the area, even more than the VA State Police.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Officer safety is the new buzzword in Law Enforcement. They must have noticed how well it worked in BS'n folks in the fire service that they stole the idea. The only people that they are fooling are the tax payer.

My advice is if you want to be safe, don't be a cop or a fireman.

SCPD

QRT
Be happy! Where I live TETRA digital is in use... everything in public safety is encrypted. The only things really left to listen to is the few users who are still analog... but those are quickly moving to DMR and other digital formats... eventually scanners will be obsolete. Life goes on.

If you can't beat em' join em'

SCPD

QRT
Just a little bit of advice, telling the Police Chief that encryption is not what scanner listeners want, probably won't convince him. Officer safety is a number one priority now a days.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber

I would love to hear from all public safety personel who read these forums and discussions on opinion of encrpyting of public safety communications.I bet most will say they would rather have money in their paychecks than local government wasting money on fancy mancy encrypted radio systems.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Encryption in Richmond Area

I was just thinking most of these decision makers in our local governments are elected to their offices by us the taxpayers. I bet most of them would like to hold onto the offices that we the people elected them to. I believe most of us who use this great forum believe there should be transparency in our government. Well it looks to me that our government from the Federal right on down to our local county/City officials are forgetting that we the people put them in their offices and we can also remove them just as easily. Ask Eric Cantor. I have been wondering if we should bring this issue to the Tea Party leadership in our respective counties. Just curious what my fellow hobbyist in the Richmond area think of this idea. Look forward to reading your feedback in this great forum we have. I know the local Police Chiefs are not elected. But it is my understanding that they answer to the Board of Supervisors in their counties.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Since the radio systems are purchased with Capital Improvement money, it doesn't come out of the employee's paychecks.

You all forget that as long as the PD perceives that unencrypted radios are aiding the bad guys, even if it's not, then they're going to err on the side of officer safety.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Box Alarm for the information.I stand corrected.But I will never give up my views about 100% encryption of all PD communications. I would be curious to know how many criminals have been arrested using a scanner/phone app in the commission of a crime? I am sure the police department has records?

Status
Not open for further replies.