End of an era in Smith Falls

bpsmicro

The Smiths Falls OPP Comm Centre has just made their final transmissions. All remaining talkgroups have been transferred to Orillia as of 11:14 today.

Over the past while I've been hearing lots of dispatchers make "so long and thanks for all the fish" end-of-shift broadcasts. A bit sad, but hopefully all will land on their feet and/or retire. There were a couple of mentions of other services getting some of them. You can tell a few of them are a bit choked up, and those of us who've been scanning for a while can certainly understand why.

Now, lots of new voices to get used to. :)

gary123

Consolidation claims another victim. Eventually we are going to end up with a "call centre" scenario. All dispatching being out of one huge facility so far removed from the service area that they unaware of the local environment and conditions they are dispatching into.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to OPP dispatch for the past almost 30 years. Other than getting used to different road names in a different region, I think they'll be just fine. North Bay has been dispatching Renfrew County for some time now and they've been doing ok.

Consolidation claims another victim. Eventually we are going to end up with a "call centre" scenario. All dispatching being out of one huge facility so far removed from the service area that they unaware of the local environment and conditions they are dispatching into.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I can remember listening to the OPP back when they were on 42 MHz and each detachment had their own dispatchers. Tillsonburg detachment only had a day shift dispatcher/secretary. Evenings and weekends it was either Woodstock OPP or St. Thomas OPP (yes Woodstock not Oxford OPP and yes St. Thomas not Elgin OPP) had to listen and dispatch Tburg OPP. Heard a lot change over the years. The main thing I’ve heard is the dispatchers “butchering” up the name of some of the local streets. The officers on the road keep the Comm Centres/dispatchers up to date on the local road and weather issues.

mrweather

I can remember listening to the OPP back when they were on 42 MHz and each detachment had their own dispatchers. Tillsonburg detachment only had a day shift dispatcher/secretary. Evenings and weekends it was either Woodstock OPP or St. Thomas OPP (yes Woodstock not Oxford OPP and yes St. Thomas not Elgin OPP) had to listen and dispatch Tburg OPP. Heard a lot change over the years. The main thing I’ve heard is the dispatchers “butchering” up the name of some of the local streets. The officers on the road keep the Comm Centres/dispatchers up to date on the local road and weather issues.
Growing up in Windsor, I remember listening to dispatchers from Essex, Chatham and Sombra (and sometimes Petrolia if conditions were right). Good times. :)

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I saw a video floating around on social media where the dispatch gave the final farewell for Smiths Falls PCC. Just a sign of the times I guess, doesn't seem that long ago that Chatham went dark.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They said the sky would fall when they closed local comm centres like Burlington and Chatham. Then they said the sky would fall when they closed regional comm centres like Aurora and Mount Forest. Now they're closing Smith's Falls but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't going anywhere.

Noseybody

I'm still seeing and hearing radio IDs associated to Smiths Falls Comm Center show up for Ottawa/Lanark. I thought they shut down?

I have still been hearing the occasional officer call for Smiths Falls out of habit. And today (Jan 26/23) I heard a dispatcher (that I have not heard since Smiths Falls PCC closed) saying he had not dispatched for a while and will likely say Smiths Falls out of habit, because that is where he last worked. He said he was definitely in Orillia.
Fast talker. Always going above and beyond to help the officers. Chris I think might be his name? He was dispatching PAPA units today when I heard him today. The last big event I heard him was a while back for India units, suggesting where arriving officers should go for containment. And it worked :) They lost some great dispatchers when it closed.

They said the sky would fall when they closed local comm centres like Burlington and Chatham. Then they said the sky would fall when they closed regional comm centres like Aurora and Mount Forest. Now they're closing Smith's Falls but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't going anywhere.
I never heard any of the sky was falling claims, but I will say there were a few serious incidents that arose after Smiths Falls PCC was closed that I heard.