End of free TV??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

You are right - this is insane!

I suspect there is more to this story than the US Gov is letting on.

I would not be surprised if they want to sell more of this tv spectrum.

brandon

Database Admin
Probably a TV license tax similar to what they do in the UK

N

N_Jay

I love all the suspicion.

About 10 min of reading gives the whole story.
1/2 about the idea to sell the frequencies and 1/2 because over the air TV is dying do to loss of revenue.

James_Bond_007

Premium Subscriber
this is all about eliminating TV channel 5 & 6 which should have been done long ago. it should get re allocated to digital broadcasting where AM & FM stations would migrate to the new "digital band" instead of trying to squeeze in this "In Band On Channel" crap. these new digital stations could be squeezed into 50-100khz bandwidth instead of the present 200khz. the only catch is to actually remove the old AM and FM stations from their old frequencies when they go digital on their new channel. then you reallocate 1600-1700 to TIS, LPAM, and part 15 intentional radiators. 530-1590 would be reserved for clear channel AM's 50kW class and part 15 carrier current unintentional radiator stations. these stations run 100mW and 10 Watt into shortened verticals respectively and LPAM has yet to be created. then you reallocate the Educational portion of the FM band to Non-Comm extend the Educational part of the band to 97.9. from 98.1 to 107.9 would be LPFM and a newly created license free service similar to what new zealand has. these analog holdovers would provide information during times of emergencies and would be strictly non profit. chl's 5 & 6 would become the new commercial FM Band. all these allocations would have their own sub bands within the broadcast bands. this way you don't have part 15 stations interfering with licensed services, or LP stations interfering with High Power Stations.

oh yes. by opening space on the AM band we can go to a full 15khz audio bandwidth in AM Stereo and get that great AM Sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.