Eneloops & the 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

I just purchased 8 of the standard white Eneloop AA's and the Maha 4-bay charger for use with my 436 & future scanners.

I know this is a popular option for a number of you out there - what charge level are you guys using on the Eneloops? I've seen people mention the second charging speed level, but I wanted to get recommendations from you.

One set of 3 will always be 'ready-to-go' spares...

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Guys,

I just purchased 8 of the standard white Eneloop AA's and the Maha 4-bay charger for use with my 436 & future scanners.

I know this is a popular option for a number of you out there - what charge level are you guys using on the Eneloops? I've seen people mention the second charging speed level, but I wanted to get recommendations from you.

I've found that the lower the charge rate the longer the batteries will last in the scanner. I normally try to stay in the middle. ie: if the charge rates go from 200 to 800, I stay at 400.

marksmith

I use 500, which is the second charge rate in my charger, and the black high capacity eneloop batteries.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

W2SJW

Database Admin
I decided against the blacks, due to the much reduced lifespan & the fact that a scanner isn't a high current draw device. I believe it was $16.99 for an 8-pack of them.

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6

marksmith

I decided against the blacks, due to the much reduced lifespan & the fact that a scanner isn't a high current draw device. I believe it was $16.99 for an 8-pack of them.

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6
Understand your point on the lifespan, but I have been using several sets for a couple years and they give me a couple hours more run time than the white ones.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

garys

Premium Subscriber
As an alternative, I've been using the Sunlabz 2800 Mah batteries along with the Panasonic BQ-CC17 charger. The Sunlabz received excellent ratings and the CC17 allows 1-4 batteries to be charged at a time.

I'm just adding that for the consideration of people who haven't made a replacement decision. I found that the Eneloops didn't have that long a life span or that long of a useable capacity.

SOFA_KING

As an alternative, I've been using the Sunlabz 2800 Mah batteries along with the Panasonic BQ-CC17 charger. The Sunlabz received excellent ratings and the CC17 allows 1-4 batteries to be charged at a time.

I'm just adding that for the consideration of people who haven't made a replacement decision. I found that the Eneloops didn't have that long a life span or that long of a useable capacity.

Good tip, thanks. I'll be looking into that.

I finally had it with my Maha Wizard One. None of my batteries did well on it. And it wouldn't recondition like it was supposed to. Once battery resistance got a little too high, it would do NOTHING at all with those cells. Useless! Yet I could charge those cells in a cheap Duracell charger and use them for many more charge cycles. Even the charger in my WS1040 did a better job on my cells. The Maha was a bunch of hype that literally didn't deliver. Probably shortened the life of the many cells I used in it. Even the 2700 ma Powerex batteries that came with it did poorly and died quickly.

Has anyone used a Nitecore charger? I never hear it mentioned on this forum, but I have heard many of my ham friends say nothing but good about them.

Phil

Ed6698

Good tip, thanks. I'll be looking into that.

I finally had it with my Maha Wizard One. None of my batteries did well on it. And it wouldn't recondition like it was supposed to. Once battery resistance got a little too high, it would do NOTHING at all with those cells. Useless! Yet I could charge those cells in a cheap Duracell charger and use them for many more charge cycles. Even the charger in my WS1040 did a better job on my cells. The Maha was a bunch of hype that literally didn't deliver. Probably shortened the life of the many cells I used in it. Even the 2700 ma Powerex batteries that came with it did poorly and died quickly.

Has anyone used a Nitecore charger? I never hear it mentioned on this forum, but I have heard many of my ham friends say nothing but good about them.

Phil

Either you had a defective Maha unit, or using batteries that were questionable to begin with. I have 2 of the Mahas for over 3 years now, once I get the HIGH warning on any battery, those batteries are disposed of. I only use Eneloop Pros in my scanners, they all have lasted beyond my expectations. Sounds like to me you are trying to charge abused batteries in it and expected them to be salvaged by the Maha. The Maha charger is one of the best chargers out there.

SOFA_KING

Either you had a defective Maha unit, or using batteries that were questionable to begin with. I have 2 of the Mahas for over 3 years now, once I get the HIGH warning on any battery, those batteries are disposed of. I only use Eneloop Pros in my scanners, they all have lasted beyond my expectations. Sounds like to me you are trying to charge abused batteries in it and expected them to be salvaged by the Maha. The Maha charger is one of the best chargers out there.

"Sounds to me you are trying to charge abused batteries" ???

Uhhhh...Assumption, and very wrong at that.

No, I actually bent over backwards to not abuse the batteries, never charged them at high rate (max charge rate by the 0.2 rate they instructed), did full discharge before full recharge, and even periodically refreshed my cells, and this overrated charger did a poor job on every brand of battery I put in it. I have had it for about 5 years, and it didn't do a good job. Defective charger? Maybe, but that doesn't say much good about Maha. I use MANY chargers for my other two-way radios (just drop in and it does the rest) and never had short battery life...always a good long use charge, and many years of usable battery service. Nothing even close to that on this Maha garbage. And why would I want to "dispose" of a battery if it can still provide service by using a simple charger for many more cycles? This Maha junk was a battery killer that made battery resistance HIGH in short order. Worst charger I ever used, and I have used many.

Why am I even wasting my time explaining this? Just another "you must be doing something wrong" post where someone assumes you are stupid, and they are smarter than you. Not helpful at all. Just because some like to be followers of only one type or charger (due to a one sided opinion)? And not consider other options?? Where is the objective open mindedness???

All I wanted to know was if anyone used the Nitecore charger, and what they thought of it. It's never mentioned here (maybe due to follow the crowd mentality), and highly regarded in other circles. So how about it? Any Nitecore users here?

Phil

SOFA_KING

No Nitecore SOFA_KING, but I have an Opus BT-C2000 I really like. Nitecore looks interesting though.

Thanks, sibbley. :)

That one I heard of, and looks to be a good possible alternative. Another consideration I have is the ability of charging Li Ion batteries. They are becoming more popular due to advancements in chemistry that are making them more affordable. You can get enormous capacity out of small light weight cell phone packs theses days. I'm surprised we still use this ancient NiMH technology in our "modern" scanners.

I'll take another look at the Opus. ;)

Phil

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Guys,

For several years now, I've gotten away from charging batteries in the radio. I get a much better charge on the batteries in less time, and it also helps keep the internal circuitry in the scanner from getting too hot as the added charging current is going through it.

At home I use this one, which can do up to eight AA or AAA cells:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000LQMKDS

And for travel I use this one which will do up to four AA or AAA cells:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JHKSMJU

Both charge cells individually rather than in pairs, which is a definite plus on the more recent Uniden offerings with three cells. I've had excellent luck with both.

W2SJW

Database Admin
So far so good in the last 2 weeks with the Eneloop standards & the Maha charger.

I usually go for days at a time between turning the unit on to listen, so I wanted LSD batteries. I was using 2300mAh Energizer Ni-MH batteries with the 15-minute rapid charger (they would get REAL damn hot!). I put them on the Maha for a refresh-cycle, and they barely rated out at 1800mAh due to the years of abuse.

I only paid $16.99 for the 8-pack of the Eneloops, so if they don't work out, it's not that big of a loss...

brj67bug

I really enjoy the education that everyone posts here. Thank you. I do not ever post but this is my contribution for the batteries

I use kentli 2800 lithium rechargeables. I read a lot of reviews and my research showed that digital cameras last longest with these batteries. So far after a month of use they have lasted the longest out of all the multiple brands

here is a link to amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/KENTLI-2800m...r0&keywords=kentli+2800+lithium+rechargeables

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Eneloops & the 436HP

I used Eneloop Pros charging daily in my maha, and they lasted me around 2 years before they started loosing capacity. I replaced them with EBL 2800 mAh due to the great reviews and being half the price of the Pros for more capacity. A little over a year, and still working just as well as my past Eneloop Pros.

EBL 8 Pack High Capacity 2800mAh AA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSHLC82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5R8OybY6BRBG6

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Eneloops & the 436HP

The Maha was a bunch of hype that literally didn't deliver. Probably shortened the life of the many cells I used in it. Even the 2700 ma Powerex batteries that came with it did poorly and died quickly.

The Maha has been great for me. The 2700mah Powerex batteries are disappointing. They had good capacity at first, but only lasted about 4-5 months charging daily. Since then I have used the Maha with great success with Eneloop Pros and most recently EBL 2800mah.

All I wanted to know was if anyone used the Nitecore charger, and what they thought of it. It's never mentioned here (maybe due to follow the crowd mentality), and highly regarded in other circles. So how about it? Any Nitecore users here?

I have used a Nitecore D2 charger for 18650 flashlight batteries for about 2 years. No complaints. I have never used it for AAs since mine is only the 2 slot model. The D2 does not functionality of the Maha like charge rate, refresh, discharge, breakin etc.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
i recently bought 8 eneloop pros and a bc-700 charger. it seem the two banks on the right take longer to charge batteries and puts them to higher volts, like 1.5 or 1.52 and puts more mhamp in them (seems to thus far, i randomize which batteries go into which of 4 slots). keep in mind i have charged all the batteries i have around here, and NONE yet have been charged again after use and using the new charger. hoping has been a coincidence.

does anyone think the charger may be defective? if i return ito to amazon, maybe i can get the maha u are talking about instead.

the eneloops have laster longer thus far in my scanner, as people have noted. so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.