Eneloops & the 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Very good to know, Sib. Thanks! That charger is definitely on my list. I think some EBL 2800's are also on my list for when I finally get a TRX-1...which I hope will be sometime in the near future.

Speaking of "maximizing battery capacity and run times", today is shootout day. Yes, I have been looking forward to this test. I finally bagged a BCD325P2 (love it) and ran my mediocre Duricell Ion Core pair for 8 hours on the 325 with the backlight on steady for the last 5 hours (it got dark). It was my first run on this scanner, and I didn't really expect it to run that long. Not the best scientific test, so I'm going to do it right today.

At 0745 hours I loaded my BCD325P2, BCD436HP, WS1040 and Home Patrol 1 all with fully conditioned Odec 2450 batteries from the Opus BT-C3400 charger. All scanners were powered on at exactly 0800 hours. Backlights are operated on squelch opening only, and traffic is very low with only my fed stuff scanning. This will be a best case scenario. The HP-1 backlight is set to Auto Dim, and record is ON. It's usually the record feature that causes the battery low alert to come on at an unusually high voltage (too high IMO), but we all like the recording feature. One would have to believe it would run longer with recording turned off. The 436 is at minimum voltage cutoff. I am wondering which one will quit first, the 325P2 or 436. The WS1040 will probably run into the late night hours.

I'll report the results when it's all concluded. This will be the real conclusion of Opus and Odec real-world results. ;)

Phil
Good luck on the 325P2 scanner,let us know how that works out......

SOFA_KING

Good luck on the 325P2 scanner,let us know how that works out......

I did. Post #360 has all the numbers. The BCD325P2 lasted 8 hours and 45 minutes. Traffic was low, so this was a best case scenario. But I have been getting over 8 hours even with a bit more traffic. The next test will be the "busy trunked radio system" longevity test. That should cover both ends of the spectrum on demand.

I'm in the process of ranking all the Odec cells so I can match sets to best work in whichever scanner that needs more capacity (like the 325P2). It takes a bit of time to fully discharge, fully charge at 500 mA, take charge current/time/resistance measurements, and then discharge at 300 mA (roughly what the 325 draws...maybe a bit more) and record the final numbers for capacity and time. After that I will pair up the matched sets and start charging them for the next test...then let 'em rip. That will be done on all the same scanners I did the low demand test. Should be fun to see what we get, but I'm happy with what I have seen so far.

One correction on the low battery alert for the 325P2...the alert comes on at 1.20 volts and the scanner quits at 1.00 volts. I think Uniden did all they could to stretch the two batteries. I would have liked to have seen this scanner have two more cells in parallel (adding only two cells worth of length to the bottom), a bigger speaker with a stronger audio power amp, backlit keys, and a color display like the 996P2...Essentially a 996P2 handheld. But I have to say, it's a "cute little radio" as it is. Now all I need is a good case for it to protect it from scuffs. I plan on wearing it everywhere.

Phil

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
have wondered how the 335p2 would do on two batteries. i do NOT own one, but am interested in run time nonetheless. I may purchase one at some point and thus be able to contribute discussions about it. there is a TON to scan here, so I could always dedicate it to one system or another if anything else.

SOFA_KING

The verdict is in!

The BCD325P2 loaded with my best Odec 2450 batteries running nonstop on back to back analog and P25 county trunked system traffic ran from 8:00 am to 3:30 PM. That's 7.5 hours run time with the volume set at 12 and the backlight coming on when the squelch breaks on new channel activity. It did better than what I expected. I never listen to all that constant TRS noise. For what I do like to hear, I would easily get better than 8 hours run time. I can live with that!

ODEC CELL MEASUREMENTS:

CELL 1 (SET 3 # 2)
Charge rate = 500 mA
Charge time = 5 hours 40 minutes
Charge mAh = 2719
Internal resistance = 58 mO
Discharge rate = 300 mA
Discharge time = 8 hours and 36 minutes
Discharge mAh = 2553
Additional 200 mA discharge time = 7 minutes
Additional 200 mA discharge capacity 20 mA
Total capacity = 2573 mAh

CELL 2 (SET 3 # 1)
Charge rate = 500 mA
Charge time = 5 hours 39 minutes
Charge mAh = 2714
Internal resistance = 62 mO
Discharge rate = 300 mA
Discharge time = 8 hours and 38 minutes
Discharge mAh = 2562
Additional 200 mA discharge time = 6 minutes
Additional 200 mA discharge capacity 17 mA
Total capacity = 2579 mAh

Correction to my correction on 325P2 low battery alert and cutoff voltage (I don't know why I keep messing this up). Low alert starts at 2.20 volts, and shutdown happens at 2.00 volts.

Phil

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

Just a little run time update on busy TRS mixed mode (analog and digital) system testing with the Odec 2450's charged with the Opus BT-C3400:

BCD436HP = 10 hours and 45 minutes. Volume at 10 and backlight on squelch.

Home Patrol 1 = 7 hours and 30 minutes. Volume half way up and backlight set to auto dim.

Those were worst case scenarios. See previous posting for best case scenarios.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.