Enercell vs Radio shack

mrlthse

Greeting All,
The question I have is this:
Does anyone know the difference between an "AC Adapter" Made by enercell (labeled "I.T.E Power supply")
and a similiar "AC Adapter" Made by Radio Shack (with a labeled "Class 2 transformer")
They are both 6V 300MA.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If the above responses are covered, look for the country of manufacture. May have even come from the same factory.

mrlthse

Providing links to both would help greatly...
Links, What links to what...
I don't understand your question.
I am asking if anyone knows the difference
between these two AC Adapters (Wall Warts)
One is much larger than the other by at least twice the size and weight,
And is labeled as a class 2 transformer, the other has no such label.

mrlthse

Links (URLs) to both products. Or do you own both and have them in front of you? Pictures?
These are vintage (But still in service unit) therefore I have no link available to me
or a means of taking a picture of them at this time.
I do have both of them in front of me and can answer any question you have.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It would also be helpful if you could provide the product numbers for each. Found on the labeling, numbers for power supplies are generally "273-xxxx".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Without something else to work off of, no one will be able to assist you.

Size difference ~may~ be an indication of the design.

Usually the wall warts are defined by the following:
Voltage output
Current capacity
Regulated or unregulated.
Linear power supply or switching power supply.
The cord end type
The polarity of the cord end.

So, you are saying that the voltage output (6V) and current capacity (300ma) are the same.
One is twice the size (roughly) of the other.
If they both put out 6 volts at up to 300ma, but one is regulated and one is not, that could be your difference. Way to check would be to test the voltage under load and with no load. A regulated power supply should stay pretty level, voltage wise. An unregulated power supply may have a higher voltage when not under load, and a lower voltage depending on the load.

Switch mode vs linear power supply would be hard to determine without opening it up.
A switch mode power supply usually will accept a much wider voltage range, like 90 volts AC to 240 volts AC, and it'll say that on the enclosure.
A linear power supply will only work properly at one voltage, in your case, 120vac.

Again, photos would be worth a thousand words...

mrlthse

It would also be helpful if you could provide the product numbers for each. Found on the labeling, numbers for power supplies are generally "273-xxxx".
I thought I did that in my first thread, Let's me try it again:

It is a "Enercell" AC ADAPTER CAT NO. 273-314
Special Note: I.T.E. Power Supply.

And, The one is a RADIO SHACK AC ADAPTER CAT NO. 273-1758
Special Note: Class 2 Transformer

My request is does anybody know the difference between these two wall adapter (Wall Wart)

One of my local Ham Club members told me, the difference is that the first one is a "switching Power Supply"
Can anyone verify that statement?

mrlthse

Without something else to work off of, no one will be able to assist you.

Size difference ~may~ be an indication of the design.

Usually the wall warts are defined by the following:
Voltage output
Current capacity
Regulated or unregulated.
Linear power supply or switching power supply.
The cord end type
The polarity of the cord end.

So, you are saying that the voltage output (6V) and current capacity (300ma) are the same.
One is twice the size (roughly) of the other.
If they both put out 6 volts at up to 300ma, but one is regulated and one is not, that could be your difference. Way to check would be to test the voltage under load and with no load. A regulated power supply should stay pretty level, voltage wise. An unregulated power supply may have a higher voltage when not under load, and a lower voltage depending on the load.

Switch mode vs linear power supply would be hard to determine without opening it up.
A switch mode power supply usually will accept a much wider voltage range, like 90 volts AC to 240 volts AC, and it'll say that on the enclosure.
A linear power supply will only work properly at one voltage, in your case, 120vac.

Again, photos would be worth a thousand words...
Greeting,
I am using these Wall Adapter on a voice activated tape recorder.
Question, How can I tell if either one of these wall adapter or regulated. they are or or not regulated in this case.
FOOTNOTE: I have a Radio shack Pro 163/4 police scanner, when using the wall adapter supplies with the scanner there is a HUM coming from the speaker. However, with a 3Amp regulated Power supply there is no HUM.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
The smaller one is a switching (aka noisy) power supply, while the larger one is more likely an actual transformer. The older transformer type power supplies are generally more robust and longer-lived than the switching type, and though they may not make as much electrical noise/hash/trash as a switching power supply, they sometimes make an audible hum when plugged in.

I.T.E. stands for "information technology equipment", meaning it may have powered router or switch or some other networking device.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Based on the product numbers you posted, the 273-1758 is a 6V 300mA AC/DC adapter whereas the 273-314 appears to be a 9V 300mA AC/DC adapter.

mrlthse

Based on the product numbers you posted, the 273-1758 is a 6V 300mA AC/DC adapter whereas the 273-314 appears to be a 9V 300mA AC/DC adapter.
Oooops, My error.
Your correct....
It's so small (compared to) I must have misplaced the 6V unit
I'll look for it and get back to Ya.
Thanks for pointing this out...