AR-DV1 Enhanced Sound On The Cheap

MStep

Sometimes when I set up my DV-1 for stand-alone operation on my desk, that top mounted speaker can be very bassy and difficult for these old ears to decipher, especially if I am sitting in front of the unit.

Short of experimenting with a number of different external speakers (and certainly less expensive and risk free), this is an on-the-cheap (like real cheap) fix that may help with other radios with top firing speakers as well. You can also quickly test what the difference will be simply by cupping your hand at appx 45 degree angle over the speaker.

A simple piece of corrugated cardboard like many Amazon items arrive in, cut to about 4x4 inches or so, with a few legs cut into the cardboard and just placed atop the speaker so that it sits at a 45 degree angle. This projects the sound forward and also reduces the bass and adds some additional treble, at least to my old ears.

It's such a cheapo fix, but if it helps even one person to achieve easier listening, I won't be embarrassed. As we always say, YMMV.

Attachments

• DV1Speaker.jpg
    DV1Speaker.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 32

palmerjrusa

Sometimes when I set up my DV-1 for stand-alone operation on my desk, that top mounted speaker can be very bassy and difficult for these old ears to decipher, especially if I am sitting in front of the unit.

Short of experimenting with a number of different external speakers (and certainly less expensive and risk free), this is an on-the-cheap (like real cheap) fix that may help with other radios with top firing speakers as well. You can also quickly test what the difference will be simply by cupping your hand at appx 45 degree angle over the speaker.

A simple piece of corrugated cardboard like many Amazon items arrive in, cut to about 4x4 inches or so, with a few legs cut into the cardboard and just placed atop the speaker so that it sits at a 45 degree angle. This projects the sound forward and also reduces the bass and adds some additional treble, at least to my old ears.

It's such a cheapo fix, but if it helps even one person to achieve easier listening, I won't be embarrassed. As we always say, YMMV.

Great idea!

I wonder if someone aluminum foil would improve the sonics even more, i.e. reflection of higher frequencies...

G8OEO

Enough of this cheapskate nonsense get your wallet out and do things properly….