Enhancing a 2.4g receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I require internet access nearly all day for my work and I travel almost anywhere. From the city to the suburbs and even past the banjo playing folks down unkept dirt roads (no offense intended to anyone). I am currently using the Verizon Jetpack 4G for internet access, which does a decent job. But there are places times when access is nowhere to be found (I'm going to one of those places tomorrow actually) for miles, which is frustrating. Is there anyway I can increase my receive using the Jetpack? There are no external antenna ports on it, just a charging/tether cable line.

I have heard and read where putting the receiver in front of a parabolic antenna/ satellite dish would result in some gain. But a dish on the truck would not be practical ( if it where up to me I would put one on though :) ). I could always make a biquad antenna and use the laptop (in the truck) and hope I can 'borrow' someones internet for a short while. But thats frowned upon and not reliable.

So basically what are my options of optimizing reception for my 'internet box'?

KZ9G

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the jetpack does not have an antenna port hidden. They are tiny. All of the ones the guys have at work have little antenna ports and they use an adapter to a extermail antenna on their truck.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
VZW 4G LTE is going to use 700MHz and AWS (2.1GHz). AWS licensing is more regional whereas 700 assignments are nationwide.

Which JetPack is this? Many have a covered antenna port. What I used to do was purchase a pigtail which then connected to an NMO mount with tri-band antenna.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I looked around for antennas in the past, but I stopped when I couldn't find the antenna ports on the jetpack. Today I looked again and I found the ports (I thought they where buttons lol).

I'm loving researching and making antennas, so I'll have to try my hand at a 2.4g antenna and see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.