Enlighten me about MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Z1V6

Guys I was listening to a REDDI report that involved CSP, Castle Rock, Douglas County, Palmer Lake and El Paso county that turned into a stolen car drag net early this AM. Why do the jurisdictions not use Mutual aid channels to talk car to car instead of using the delay of each dispatcher and the unbelivable delays involved with this?

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
All of those jurisdictions have the ability to go to a MAC, but it comes down to knowledge & planning. Many officers don't know what channels are in their radio or where to find them. It also takes the lead agency to ask everyone to switch in the middle of a high stress incident. Although it could be done better, typically law enforcement agencies don't get on a common talkgroup until well into the incident if ever.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Guys I was listening to a REDDI report that involved CSP, Castle Rock, Douglas County, Palmer Lake and El Paso county that turned into a stolen car drag net early this AM. Why do the jurisdictions not use Mutual aid channels to talk car to car instead of using the delay of each dispatcher and the unbelivable delays involved with this?

You mean this one?

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...news/170629-el-paso-county-pursuit-paged.html

CSP was using a MAC channel for this pursuit but the communication of such is often slow at best some comm centers monitor MAC channels and others do not and most mobile users to not include MAC channels in there scan banks. It also does not help when there are 21 channel options statewide, even those are broken down into regions it surely was much easier when it was just 155.475 or 154.280 or 155.340 or such.

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I listened to it. It went pretty well.
On some radios (mine included), the MAC channels are so buried, it takes forever to find them.
I listened to both the MAC side and the local side of things and the delays were not "unbelievable", IMHO.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
All of those jurisdictions have the ability to go to a MAC, but it comes down to knowledge & planning. Many officers don't know what channels are in their radio or where to find them. It also takes the lead agency to ask everyone to switch in the middle of a high stress incident. Although it could be done better, typically law enforcement agencies don't get on a common talkgroup until well into the incident if ever.

Exactly and at least in our radios the MAC's are spread out in many different banks and even for someone who has an interest I still had to develop a cheat sheet for everything and create a laminated spreadsheet of all the different bank not easy for the average end user.

Jim<

04Z1V6

Jim this was a silver Honda that they had tracked from running a plate during a reddi report from the I-25 188 south to the exit at the elpaso, douglas county line, no chase they just sat on it and converged after everyone got in position. It was close to the other pursuit time. Thanks for all the reply's.

eyes00only

Just to prove that there is no such thing as a stupid question:
What is a REDDI report?

JK

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
A REDDI report a lot of the time is the same thing as a BOLO (be on the look out) or an APB (all points bulletin), just depends on the agency and who they're dispatched by.

04Z1V6

I hear BOLO's every now and then, I think with computers in most cars they are rarely used. The APB was a teletype that was then broadcast. The REDDI started with the *CSP but has seemed to evolve into all rolling reports called in from drivers "Report Every Dumb Driver Immediately" You could jump in here any time Troop.

Troop

the computers are used...Every BOLO that is aired is also sent to our computers. They are required by policy to aire every BOLO and REDDI over ther radio...Even if there are no area cars on duty. BOLO and APB are about the same thing....Think it just depends on where it comes from....i've seen teletypes listed as an all points...and a be on the look out.

speard

Premium Subscriber
The issues of using a MAC channel are mostly a training and knowledge issue of both the telecommunicators and the responders. Its a knowledge issue for both to remember that the MAC channels are there; and a training issue for the communicators to know how to patch/simulcast it.

The FIRST call I make during an incident is to CSP, reason being is that most criminals get into a vehicle and leave. Troopers are on the major thoroughfares. CSP has caught dozens of criminals over the years for me.

jfab

CSP and Westy had a short pursuit early this morning, they where using MAC 3
Thanks Charles! I was about to start a whole new thread ranting and raving on why I couldn't hear that pursuit, only heard Broomfield dispatched to assist! Should have turned on the MACs!:D

Warbirdhunter

Thanks Charles! I was about to start a whole new thread ranting and raving on why I couldn't hear that pursuit, only heard Broomfield dispatched to assist! Should have turned on the MACs!:D

It was good listening James, till the stop sticks started attracting Po Po cars. Then it just got sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.