EOT devices heard in Amelia, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_kd4adv

I have had various scanners over the years from the BC-235XLTin 1998 on up to the Pro 2052 in 2000 and now the PRo Pro-92 and Pro 97 in 2006.
I live in Amelia County, VA.
My amateur radio callsign is KD4ADV

I rarely hear voice comms from trains that pass thru Amelia.
Maybe "dark territory"
The only time I have ever heard any are when they are at the Maplewood Landfill near Jetersville.
Sometimes when passing thru the Burkeville area in Nottoway County, I hear them on 161.190 MHz FM.
Other than that, I still catch the EOT Devices on 161.115 MHz FM.
It sounds like DTMF tones. I don't know if sound is the same today as it was when I first heard them.

I often hear CSX voice comms in Chesterfield County, Virginia on 161.100, 161.520. 160.230 and 161.590 MHz FM.

DPD1

For EOT you want 457.9375 and 452.9375, unless you have the NS through there... They use the 161.115. The DTMF is actually part of the DS system on the road channels. Those signals usually cut through a lot better than the voice, so there's usually time when you only hear that.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Featuring the TrainTenna Railroad Radio Antennas -

JESSERABBIT

sean_kd4adv said:
I have had various scanners over the years from the BC-235XLTin 1998 on up to the Pro 2052 in 2000 and now the PRo Pro-92 and Pro 97 in 2006.
I live in Amelia County, VA.
My amateur radio callsign is KD4ADV

I rarely hear voice comms from trains that pass thru Amelia.
Maybe "dark territory"
The only time I have ever heard any are when they are at the Maplewood Landfill near Jetersville.
Sometimes when passing thru the Burkeville area in Nottoway County, I hear them on 161.190 MHz FM.
Other than that, I still catch the EOT Devices on 161.115 MHz FM.
It sounds like DTMF tones. I don't know if sound is the same today as it was when I first heard them.

I often hear CSX voice comms in Chesterfield County, Virginia on 161.100, 161.520. 160.230 and 161.590 MHz FM.

Sean, de WD4HDC..I did a quick look at the RR Database for the FCC listings for NS in Amelia County. There are two base freqs listed in Jetersville. 160.38 & 161.19. This may help you some. I don't know how much rail traffic goes thru there, so radio traffic may or may not be present most of the time. NS in my neck of the woods (NE WV) uses 160.44
as the road channel. They do call the signals (including the mileposts or name of their location.)

Hope this helps, 73s

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
That part of the NS line (the Richmond District) is dark territory. So unless they are dropping off cars at the landfill or if they are getting a warrant from the dispatcher, you won't hear too much. I believe where you live there are 3-4 trains a day. A local up to Richmond, then back, and the trash train that goes to the landfill.

JESSERABBIT

sean_kd4adv said:
The most active frequency that I have been hearing, especially when I am going west on Hwy 360 through Nottoway and Burkeville is 161.190.
Haven't heard any traffic on 160.380.
I actually found these on a Railfan site where they have PDF files of Both CSX and NS routes. The frequencies are at the top.
Here is where I found them.
http://members.trainorders.com/varailfan/guides/index.html

That Trainorders site is really good. Thank you for posting the info.

gcgrotz

Hey everybody, thanks for the VA info. I'm up in C'ville and there is a pretty good group of railfans here. We have the very busy NS line and the old CSX line (now operated by Buckungham Branch) with mostly empty coal cars passing through. Lots of rail and radio traffic.

Just one question: I gave up on the EOT freq 161.115, I don't think I've ever heard a thing on it, even when trains are stopping here because of the CSX diamond. I've even scanned with the Close Call turned on and nothing heard. Any ideas on that?

If any of you come up here for some picture taking sometime, send me a PM and I'll meet ya by the Amtrak station if I'm around.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I believe that NS is beginning to switch their EOTD's to the UHF Freqs. (452.9375 and 457.9375). Rarely do I ever hear the squak of an NS FRED on 161.115 anymore.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Two observations on the NS EOT's: First, the line running through Amelia may still use a caboose on the locals, and I don't know if that would have an effect on EOT use.

Second, I listened to the NS Piedmont Div. line from Barboursville (just North of Charlottesville) the other day, and noted nothing on 161.115 when the double-stack passed by.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
The locals on the Richmond District do use cabooses still, however, they put EOTD's on the end of them anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.