EPS wants to replace all police radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
The Edmonton Police Service is looking for 9 million dollars to replace all radios in the upcoming 2012 budget year. Mayor Steve Mandel took at jab at city or EPS officials over the issue aired by CTV Edmonton at 6 last night. He was being told the radios need to be replaced for fear of failure. THe mayor did not seem to be buying that as on official said all the radios could fail.

It's well know EPS wants to encrypt even dispatch comms the result of unauthorized feeds on the internet. The questionable RR feed has been taken down but there is still yeg911. Interesting to want to replace all radios despite the provincial system just a few years away.

Calgary would have a better chance pulling this off due to a failing system but I think Edmonton should allocate the funds for reducing the homocide rate rather than hiding dispatch communications.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
A CBC story covers a bit more. I don't think the province regulates Edmonton to join the system.

Meantime, during budget deliberations Tuesday, Edmonton Police Commission chair Arlene Yakeley said provincial changes to the way police radios are regulated are one of the reasons EPS wants to replaces its radio supply.

Mayor slams prison costs | Edmonton | News | Edmonton Sun

Last edited:

scannerboy01

It really doesn't make sense that EPS would want to buy new radios unless they are P25 digital compatible. If EPS does buy radios that aren't P25 digital, they are wasting taxpayer money on radios that won't work in a few years.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It really doesn't make sense that EPS would want to buy new radios unless they are P25 digital compatible. If EPS does buy radios that aren't P25 digital, they are wasting taxpayer money on radios that won't work in a few years.

While it is true that the smartest idea is to get P25 compatible hardware, I have to point out something regarding "radios that won't work in a few years" - the province has always said AFRRCS is not mandatory to join. IMO it'd be dumb NOT to get in on it - because of the cost savings from not having to own your own infrastructure and maintain multiple patches to other agencies' equipment - but nobody will be forced to join the provincewide network.

Encryption is of course standard with a P25 system and will be in use in some respect(s) on AFRRCS. For the sake of those of you in Edmonton, I hope that cooler heads up there prevail and general patrol remains in the clear.

blackbird

Premium Subscriber
Info From City Budget Documents

The replacement of EPS radios is discussed in the City's 2012-2014 Proposed Capital Budget, Capital Project Profiles, at pages 614-615. This can be found at City of Edmonton :: Home > city government > budget & taxes > budget 2012 > proposed capital budget 2012-2014 > open the PDF for Capital Project Profiles.

Regarding justification and interoperability:

"The Edmonton public safety radio network was installed in 1995 and the last evergreening of the radios themselves was in 2001. The EPS radios are now past the minimum life cycle of 7 years and will reach the maximum of 10 years in 2011. They are in need of replacement. Further, EPS radios are not compatible with the upcoming Alberta First Responders Radio Communication System. The EPS will need to replace all portable, mobile, base station and suitcase radios to ensure compatibility with and enable a move to that new provincial radio system. The EPS is recommending any new end user radios purchased will be compliant with
both the new provincial radio system (P25 standard) and the existing PSPSRS (EDACS standard) radio network. These dual mode radios will allow the EPS compatibility with the provincial radio network while maintaining the capability to communicate with municipal departments. Current plans anticipate this
investment in 2012. The new radios are expected to have a 7 to 10 year life span."

In the same item it is stated that: "Equipment purchased will be compliant with the new Provincial Radio Systme for emergency responders expected to be operational in 2014 and will also be able to operate on the current civic radio system."

Jay911

Feed Provider
I gather that means there's such a thing as a radio that does EDACS and P25 in the same case. Kind of an odd combination if you ask me, but whatever.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That Also confirms that the city wants to move to the new provincial system as well.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link. The entire police budget was an interesting read. It seems the year 2015 is the year for changes after belt tightening. It appears EPS won't go to AFRRCS until 2015. Air 1 is to be traded in and a replacement obtained also in 2015. The new North West Division will be created, also in that year and comms will require 7 dispatch consoles.

The radio replacement will involve 1,289 portables, 604 mobiles and 36 base stations. It appears suitcase radios will be included in mobiles.

I also wonder which model radio will cover both the old EDACS system and the new P25 system.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
I suppose it's possible that some cities will stick to their 800 frequencies. It's technologically possible but it doesn't follow the mandate/designs of the system.

I dunno if the Harris Unity does EDACS. I suppose it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.