Equipment recommendations please

Status
Not open for further replies.

altonj

I've been a member here for a few years, dropping in from time to time to read and learn, see what's new. I'm considering a somewhat major purchase in the near future with a self imposed budget of approx $1k and I'm looking for opinions/recommendations on what to buy.

Details:
- I am fascinated with communications technology, less so with the actual content of the communication. But, when I hear a siren it is interesting to tune in for a couple of minutes and find out what's going on.
- I live in Haldimand county, southern Ontario Canada.
- I have a little Grundig Satellit 750 that I've had some fun with the past few years but it is fairly limited.
- My 16x12 shed at the back of the property is just about complete.

I keep looking at traditional scanners with interest but also at the Winradio products, that scope display is pretty sexy. And it just seems to me that a visual representation of the RF reality would be a big help in lessening the learning curve and a boost in locating and selecting specific signals.

Hope I've provided enough information to allow those with the knowledge and experience to offer a comfortable opinion/recommendation.

Regards,
Jim

DPD1

I don't know what type of systems are being used in your area. That's what it really comes down to. Overall, you would probably be best off with the Uniden 996xt or newer 536HP. Especially if there's P25 type systems in use there, or will be in the future.

altonj

Thanks Dave,

If I understand... there are a number of APCO 25 voice channels on a Motorola Smartzone system up here that covers a lot of Public Safety sector. And I'm reading that more and more P25 technology is being installed.

Regards,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.