Equipment Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if I should post here or in the SDR forum. I am looking for some suggestions on equipment. I currently run a few rtl sdr's and an old radio shack PRO-170. I currently live in Baltimore County and are unable to have any external antennas. (or at least any that are mounted on the roof). I listen to a little bit of everything (P25, business, ADSB, and mil air)

As a recent college grad I do not have a ton of money to upgrade my existing equipment but are currently wondering if:
>I should spend the money in a better antenna then the dipole given with the RTL
>or to buy a RSP1A?

Remember I cannot have any big outdoor antennas. While I would love to get a SDS100 to replace my PRO-170 , I just do not have the money.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Are you on the ground floor, can get coax outside, and do you listen to HF? If so a loop-on-ground is almost invisible. Doesn't help you on VHF, but maybe you could aim a yagi out the window if there's a site within LOS?

Last edited:

firebal

Premium Subscriber
While I am not on the ground floor I could get coax outside. I do not currently listen to HF but I would like to. And I have not seen the need for a yagi yet. I actually do a decent job of picking up my P25 sites.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Also wondering if the RSPA1 would give me a noticeable increase in spectrum bandwidth from me currently using 3 rtl sdrs at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.