equipment to hear digital type SW signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

Other then a SW radio and PC what software or other equipment is needed to hear these odd sounds on SW?

Not just CW but all the other non-ham radio digital type modes,are they easy to decipher?

I have an old MFJ Multi-Mode Data Controller but it never did much except for ham radio digital type modes and some utility.

Also what voice mode do I hear that I can't get in either LSB or USB ,but it sounds like voice,that is muffled and squeaky sounding?
How about the strange buzz / horn sounding noise bust I hear that takes up many frequencies ,heard down around 4-5Mhz or sometimes higher up?

thanks,

alok

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Welcome, Alok.

You're actually asking several more questions than what you realize. For decoding digital stuff on HF, see this wiki article for an introduction (note that anything in blue is a link, here or in our wiki)

HF Digital Decoding - The RadioReference Wiki

I'm unsure about this 'voice mode that sounds muffled' - a few freqs to demonstrate what you are hearing is in order. And that signal around 4-5 mhz that takes up many frequencies is, no doubt, CODAR - look it up in WikiPedia for a definition. It's a royal pain - one sits typically around 4800 khz or so, and absolutely ruins things several khz in either direction. Makes hearing XERTA Mexico, among other stations, a real challenge.

You might tell us what receiver you are using. 73 Mike

a29zuk

Also what voice mode do I hear that I can't get in either LSB or USB ,but it sounds like voice,that is muffled and squeaky sounding?

alok

This could be a double sideband transmission. You would need a receiver to reinsert a carrier into the signal to be able to listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.