Equitable Gas EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

patacuda

I am new to the trunking thing and i have figured out the motorola part of it but i am still having trouble with the LTR and EDACS system types. I am trying in particular to get the Equitable Gas EDACS system to work. I believe i have all the lcn# correct but when i try to scan it all it does is stop on the control channel. i belive im close to the source because the percentage decoded is high 90-97% . I am using a pro 164 and have both the standard and 800mhz tuned antenna i have tried both but to no avail. any help would be greatly appreciated. i tried the lcn# from radioreference.com and the wpascanner website with the same response once again please help thank you.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am new to the trunking thing and i have figured out the motorola part of it but i am still having trouble with the LTR and EDACS system types. I am trying in particular to get the Equitable Gas EDACS system to work. I believe i have all the lcn# correct but when i try to scan it all it does is stop on the control channel. i belive im close to the source because the percentage decoded is high 90-97% . I am using a pro 164 and have both the standard and 800mhz tuned antenna i have tried both but to no avail. any help would be greatly appreciated. i tried the lcn# from radioreference.com and the wpascanner website with the same response once again please help thank you.

I'm not intimately familiar with programming a PRO-164. However, it doesn't sound like you have the proper mode set. For EDACS programming you need to set the mode of each EDACS frequency to ED (short for EDACS).

Assuming you are programming the Primary Pittsburgh site, you have LCNs 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Those should be programmed in a single bank in specific order. for instance, if you are in Bank 9 (900 through 999), then you should program the frequencies listed for LCNs 2,5,6,7,8 and 9 into channels 902, 905, 906, 907, 908 and 909.

The MODE on each of those channels shoudl be set to ED (for EDACS).

You should then run the scanner in OPEN mode (to catch all talkgroup activity) until you can verify that you are receiving everything on the trunked system properly.

NOTE: You can only have one trunked system per bank - so make sure you choose a bank that doesn't already have a trunked system programmed into it, and make sure that the channels are "free" in that bank for the LCNs you need.

Just guessing.. but I would try something like this (assuming bank 9 is free to use)

PGM, 902, PGM
TRUNK
Press MODE until you see ED show up for that channel
PGM
Then enter the frequency: 855.3875

Then press PGM (or the up arrow), whichever advanced you up to channel 905
Press MODE until you see ED show up for that channel
PGM
Then enter the frequency: 856.3375

Repeater for LCNs 6,7,8,9 in channels 906, 907, 908, 909

To set the bank to open mode:

a. Press FUNC, then the up or down arrow until you get to bank 9
b. Then press FUNC and then ./DELAY (BANK OPEN or BANK CLOSED will appear)

Then scan that bank and see if it scans properly.

I'm not familiar with how to turn on/off specific banks, but I suspect that if you just want to test Bank 9, you would press SCAN and then you would enable bank 9 by pressing 9 and disable the other banks by pressing the appropriate number from 0-8.

What you had described is typically something you would encounter if the bank weren't designated as a trunked bank or the frequencies for a trunked system didnt have the correct mode set and/or the LCNs were not programmed in the proper order.

Hope this helps.

Mike

patacuda

Thank you for the help i didnt have the bank designation right. the other question i have is can you monitor 2 or more trunked systems of the same type in the same bank or do you have have to use separate banks for each trunked systems also if you have conventional and trunked in the same bank is the scanner only monitoring one or the other or do you have to lock out one set to hear the other ex- to listen to conventional do i have to lock out the trunk frequencies and vice versa sorry for dumb questions but they dont answer them in the owners manual.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thank you for the help i didnt have the bank designation right. the other question i have is can you monitor 2 or more trunked systems of the same type in the same bank or do you have have to use separate banks for each trunked systems also if you have conventional and trunked in the same bank is the scanner only monitoring one or the other or do you have to lock out one set to hear the other ex- to listen to conventional do i have to lock out the trunk frequencies and vice versa sorry for dumb questions but they dont answer them in the owners manual.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that I said I didn't own a scanner like yours. I can't speak from firsthand experience. But I _believe_ that if you have conventional and trunked frequencies in the same bank, it will scan _both_ the trunked system _and_ the conventional frequencies if that bank is enabled. I believe the manual specifically states that it will scan trunked _and_ conventional in the same bank.

I also believe that you can _only_ have one trunked system per bank in that scanner.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.