erasing chain search on my 898t

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcam406

i have a question.i tried to do a talkgroup IDsearch on my 898t,but after following the directions in the Uniden manual(which is basically useless),all i get is previously entered frequency searches.i looked in the manual to see if there was instructions to erase them,but nothing.anyone have any ideas? thx

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
are u looking to erase just the id's or the whole memory...If you want to set the scanner back to defaults i belive it is 2+9+manual, that gives a hard reset..

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have a 898xlt, but in your question first you mention "talkgroups", then you mention freqys in the "chain-search"...OK, in the chain -searchs (10) when in the chain-search press"HOLD", then press on the key pad one of the bank "letters" (A-J) and it will start "blinking", then you can input a new search in that letter of the chain, ex: 150.00 -Enter, then 151.00-Enter, then press search again....Now, if you asking about "Search-TRUNKING you have to stop the scanner during its search of "talkgroups", press manual then you will be in the sub-trunking banks, go to a talkgroup and press"0"-Enter and it will "CLEAR" that talkgroup...It did sound like you want my first procedure....

bigcam406

me thinks i need to do a hard reset in order to get rid of the chain search frequencies,thx for your help fellas,much appreciated.

bigcam406

well i tried to do a hard reset and it wouldnt work.anyone else have any suggestions? sorry to be a pain,but like i said,the manual isnt worth wiping your rearend with.thx!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You must hold down buttons 2, 9, and manual , then at the same time turn "ON" the scanner....You need three hands but the "chain-search" resets i told you about in the above post works great...I have changed my search's many times that way....

bigcam406

ok,the key was to turn it on..........while holding,tyvm sir,that helps immensly!!! i dont understand why none of this info is in the manual amongst other things,i guess they wanted to keep us in the dark about this stuff. thx again

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Your correct, the manual is total GARBAGE, i have a early model BC245 and the radios are much the same, if you can find the manual for the Uniden BCT8 thats a better manual and it also applies to the 898....

bigcam406

thx for your help.it cleared everything.now my problem is searching for active talkgroups,when i follow the manuals instructions,all i get is "error" on my display. i tried last night for a few hours dikkin around with it but no avail. any suggestions? thx in advance.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what trunk system your trying to listen to...To install a Motorola Type11 trunk system "hold down the "TRUNK" button for two beeps, then choose one of the blinking banks A-J, turn the rotary knob to EZ-800 press "E", turn knob and when you see"Prog F press "E" , then enter the freqys for your system pressing "E" after each entry, then "press "SEARCH" and the scanner will search for all talkgroups in the system.....

bigcam406

well, i did what u said last nite,everything went according to plan......except when the scanner searched and found a talkgroup,all that came up on the display was 6 dashes and there wasnt any audio,but the signal meter was showing strength on the particular talk groups that were not displayed.any thoughts? and sorry to be a pain.......thx

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
make sure the Attuneator is not on, this will block it..That is the ATT button in the top left on ur scanner when u receive a transmission and if it shows all bars then push that button to see if that works...Also is it a digital system your trying to listen too?? If so this scanner cannot pick that up..Don't worry ur not being a pain...That6s what these forums are for is for help,guidance that sort of stuff...See if that works for ya

bigcam406

the attenuator wasnt on hawkeye,and the system im trying to search the talkgroups on isnt digital,so thats why im kinda stumped. i must be missing something,or im not doing something to view those particular talkgroups.either way i still think the talkgroup numbers should of showed themselves on the display irregardless,as the manual even states that even if you havnt programmed a trunking system in (which i havnt) the scanner will find talkgroup id's.just curious,what do the id's look like (digit wise) as im trying to monitor Toronto Police Service. thx for your help.

bigcam406

as for the question about what the talkgroup id's look like,i did a search and found out what i needed.but i still dont know why they wont appear and no audio as well when searching for these particular talkgroup id's......

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
OK Bigcam406, i see your location on my "Atlas", your a little ways from Toronto , also, i looked at the Toronto Trunk Motorola System, there are four (4) "sites", each site must be programmed in to seperate banks with freqys and the "blue" and "red" Control Channels...You cannot put all sites in one bank...Ater you program each site in different banks you should see the ID's (talkgroups) when you press "SEARCH", don't press "scan" until you record some of the talk groups in the sub-banks....The "red and "blue CC's have a engine noise sound and if you do NOT hear that sound when you go to these freqys in manual mode after programming your TOO far away from the Toronto systems....

bigcam406

thx for the reply roninjoliet. everything you said to do i have done when it comes to programming the control channels in seperate banks.i did that fri nite,and like i stated earlier,nuttin. but i'll try again later tonite.as far as reception,it is very good considering the distance,as i listen to the TPS in conventional mode and the signals are coming through loud and clear.im also picking up police from Rochester,Buffalo,and New York State troopers out of Buffalo.again,many thx for your help,it is truely appreciated.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just to double check things when you programmed the freq , did you choose the right mode? make sure that it is trunking , should be no reason other then that why u can't hear anything unless possibly the radio is faulty...Also try messing with the squelch maybe it might be set to high...Like ronin sd when you have the CC (control channel) plugged in see if you can hear it, if so then you should be able to pick up the system ur listening too...As for the talk group id's the scanner has to have some in it in order for ya to scan them...I tried what you did when i first set mine up and couldn't get anything, as soon as i plugged the cc and alternates then i could scan the talkgroup id's with no probs...But try those things out and see what happens...If its not too much trouble post back with ur results..

bigcam406

im going to try again tonite hawkeye,thx,i'll let you know.as for searching the talkgroup id's,it says in the manual that you dont have to have any programmed,but as im finding out,what is printed and what is reality are 2 different things with this 898t.again,thx for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.