ERICA trs / Clemars9/ border patrol mut. Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

It was interesting to finally hear local police patched with border patrol on CLEMARS 9 (800mhz) p.l. 156.7. There was an incident and this patch was the only way CBP and local Police could coordinate. I thought i would share, enc. forces mutual aid allied agencies to use CLEMARS.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Riverside County has a county wide CLEMARS system, and County wide ITAC systems. The purpose is for mutual aid. The system was designed with the intent of being able to either patch an external agency into the trunked system, or all parties could switch to either CLEMARS 9 or one of the ITAC channels. They also have VHF systems and UHF, so they can deal with external agencies operating on those bands.

It has nothing to do with encryption. This is one of many ways interoperability can be accomplished. RSO's current mutual aid radio systems date back almost a decade before encryption came along, and the predecessors to those systems date back over 20 years.

The hardware is nothing new... maybe actually using it is.

scottyhetzel

Interesting zz, i just understood if your on encryption and your ally is not you got a problem. I been monitoring clemars for years and never heard much traffic other than the morse code of the repeater. Maybe its just a cawinky dink.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Interesting zz, i just understood if your on encryption and your ally is not you got a problem.

No. It's really not a problem. The encrypted party simply turns off encryption, or moves to a frequency or talk-group that is not encrypted, whatever the mutual aid or interoperability plan calls for.

Encryption would only be a problem if an allied agency wants to casually listen in and doesn't have access to the key - same problem scanner listeners have. But it's not tearing at the fabric of interoperability.

I been monitoring clemars for years and never heard much traffic other than the morse code of the repeater. Maybe its just a cawinky dink.

That's probably all it is. RSO's CLEMARS stuff dates back to the original EDACS installation back in the early 90s. It was all replaced and upgraded in the mid 2000's.

scottyhetzel

Riverside County has a county wide CLEMARS system, and County wide ITAC systems. The purpose is for mutual aid. The system was designed with the intent of being able to either patch an external agency into the trunked system, or all parties could switch to either CLEMARS 9 or one of the ITAC channels. They also have VHF systems and UHF, so they can deal with external agencies operating on those bands.

It has nothing to do with encryption. This is one of many ways interoperability can be accomplished. RSO's current mutual aid radio systems date back almost a decade before encryption came along, and the predecessors to those systems date back over 20 years.

The hardware is nothing new... maybe actually using it is.

I added i-call freq. to my scan list and I am now getting a I-CALL Repeater morse code here in the desert. No p.l. being sent. Thanks for the tip...

Status
Not open for further replies.