Erie County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
UID is the radio number. There were people from all of the end user agencies in the city out and about testing transmission and reception from ALL over the city. I logged over 800 hits on just one site with a like number on the other, most duplicates. To date I have logged 67 TGs and 162 radios with a few new radios showing up most days.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Lots of testing today, I have only been around radio for couple of hours today so haven’t heard everything! I see they have been testing since about 9am. So lots of hits. I see only TGID 101 and 104 active. I am wondering what UID number is, maybe radio I’d number? I also heard a couple of their head people there quit on Friday so maybe things are not going to smoothly?
I could only listen a little after 3. Heard nothing. Was the testing by the agencies themselves, or just the standard counting? I think the UID number is the actual individual radio ID.

Tue. is MPD and MPS during the day, and testing of volunteer fire depts. in the evening.

I hope Mike M. did'nt leave. I emailed him last week and have heard nothing back. He was always good bout responding.

terryho

Feed Provider
I only heard audio testing, and nothing from individual depts. Mike M shouldn’t be effected, these were people at 911 center. My son will be going for training soon and I can see if he can get a list of TGID , and some of the other info they will be getting!

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
I could only listen a little after 3. Heard nothing. Was the testing by the agencies themselves, or just the standard counting? I think the UID number is the actual individual radio ID.

Tue. is MPD and MPS during the day, and testing of volunteer fire depts. in the evening.

I hope Mike M. did'nt leave. I emailed him last week and have heard nothing back. He was always good bout responding.

The field units were giving their location, i.e. 14th & State. If you can't monitor during the day use the tools available on the radio. Start recording in the morning and review the results in the evening.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
The field units were giving their location, i.e. 14th & State. If you can't monitor during the day use the tools available on the radio. Start recording in the morning and review the results in the evening.
I was going to use record tomorrow, but I'm a little confused. It says you can only replay up to 240 seconds. How do I set it to record all day?

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
240 Sec per transmission. It will record as many transmissions as SD card space permits.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Testing coming in loud and clear today - sounds good. TG's 101 and 104 active in Wesleyville and west Millcreek.

I noticed in the RR database that the the TGID's for Testing are shown as 1, 2, 3, etc. These were coming up as Unknown on my scanners. I changed them in my Favorite List to TG 101, 102, 103, 104, etc. Now they show up on the scanners as their correct name (Radio Testing). Looks like we're close to having a nice, new system!

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
TGs 1, 2 etc are radio service TGs. What you are hearing today will be operational TGs when things go live. The radios being used in the field today may or may not reflect the actual TGs of the user. Although of the TGs I have probable ID for from previous transmissions, 101 EFD and 104 MPS and possibly ECI.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I assume the testing this week is using all the towers? If they all are coming in good for me, does that mean I'm not getting simulcast distortion? I may need to by another scanner or two, and I'd like to make sure my 436 and 536 are doing a good job.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed any simulcast distortion with any of my radios with this system, and I am surrounded my five Metro towers. What I do see is a noticeable time difference, a small fraction of a second, when receiving the same transmission from site 1 and site 2. If you are thinking about a new scanner take a look at the SDS100 & 200, mainly for the increased date displayed. The rumored SDS 500 could be interesting if it featured a touch screen like the HP2. Great for mobile use.

terryho

Feed Provider
Got to see the new portables first hand today, nice. My son is out testing locations here in west county and says there are some coverage issues, from locations not far from receiving sites. The distances he was from the sites, there shouldn't be any problem, so hope they get things resolved since the purpose of having a new system was to improve coverage.RADIO2.jpg

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
What I do see is a noticeable time difference, a small fraction of a second, when receiving the same transmission from site 1 and site 2.
I have discovered that the problem is not the system but that the SDS200 takes a fraction of a second longer to process the signal than a X36.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
John Grappy just sent out several Powerpoint files used in training. Looks real interesting. Lots of TG info too.

terryho

Feed Provider
I have not received anything from John. Been waiting for my son to attend training but he says it is next Wednesday. If you can send me it I would appreciate it.
It will be nice to have the system all programmed in our radios and ready to go when they are up and running. I suspect they have some work to do as there seems to be a lot of areas with bad coverage they will have to address before the system is signed off. In listening to radio traffic on TGID 101 and 104 I noticed some loss of data at times, kinda funny I would sometimes hear complete transmissions and Dispatch would report breaking up and visa versa. I was looking at error rate on signal and most of time it was 0 but would go way up sometimes and lost audio. Maybe there is some sweet spot on P25 settings we have to set? Will have to see when they are more active.

terryho

Feed Provider
Still think we need talk group numbers to program.....tried entering letter number combos and that doesn't work...….looks like sheriff dept is also encrypted with law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.