Erie County Sheriff missed transmissions??

lkas

Premium Subscriber
I have a weird problem that I have been playing with for years. When I programmed my SDS-100 with erie cty sheriff 460.075 via conventional it seems to pick eveything up. When i program the freq for a P25 one frequency system using TGID 1 I can hear 90% of the transmissions. I seem to not hear cars in the south end of the county and most recently the state police in clarence. The radio shows "P25" and the signal meter is full with 5 bars but there is no audio. I have tried removing the NAC of F86 and adjusting the filters. I have also played with the squelch from level 0-5 with negative results. Anyone have any idea why i can hear dispatch and other units but not everyone?
On a side note i programmed 2 favorite lists. One using the P25 on frequency and one conventional. I am just scanning those 2 systems. The scanning seems very slow for just 2 frequencies being scanned.. I set the hold time on the P25 to zero and the channel delay to zero as well. I like monitoring it via P25 one frequency because the shows the unit id numbers which i have programmed. Any suggestion on a fix to speed up the scanning or why in P25 one freq mode the audio is not coming thru for all units?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The "One Frequency Trunk" is a lousy hack that has sucked since day 1. It's no surprise that you're getting less than ideal results from that. Yeah sure it's cool to see the subscriber IDs, but at the end of the day what is more important? Seeing the IDs or actually catching near 100% of the transmissions? KISS.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
The "One Frequency Trunk" is a lousy hack that has sucked since day 1. It's no surprise that you're getting less than ideal results from that. Yeah sure it's cool to see the subscriber IDs, but at the end of the day what is more important? Seeing the IDs or actually catching near 100% of the transmissions? KISS.
That's why I added the conventional freq as well. Just wondering if there was anything else i could do for improvement. I did notice on P25 one freq mode that when i get a signal and P25 icon is on there is a transmission but no audio. However, after a second it moves on and conventional picks up which has the audio broadcast. There are so many settings and filters on this radio you can play for weeks to try and improve reception.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The clue here is that you're hearing it near perfect in plain old conventional mode, vs missing stuff in OFT mode. It's likely not having anything to do with the filters, especially if they are the same for both. OFT sucks, so either switch to straight conventional for this frequency, or lower your expectations when using OFT.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
JUST A UPDATE.... I have the talkgroup set a 1 which receives dispatch, county units and most troopers. I added talkgroup 65535 and now that group pickups the rest of the units (mainly troopers) that I could not hear before. I have set the channel delay to zero and so far so good. Just a tip for anyone else