Erie county Sheriff - SP Collins cars ??

lkas

i have no issues picking up P25 Erie county sheriff cars as well as SP patrols dispatched by the county. However, I never seem to hear the SP Collins cars radio id 3AXX. My sds-100 appears to pickup the signal full and the p25 lights up but i never hear the audio. I then hear dispatch acknlowdging their transmission. I even removed the NAC thinking there was a issue with that with no luck. I can hear every other car in the county no matter if it is SP or county. Any suggestions?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Is there something wrong with your hang times? I have zero issues hearing them with my 436 and other stuff. I recently went through my scanner, which the zone was scanning P25, NXDN and analog, trimmed out the "fat", set the hang times to next to nothing, and I stopped missing as many transmissions. I realized how much I was missing the way it was set originally after monitoring a few channels on two sources at once.

lkas

Is there something wrong with your hang times? I have zero issues hearing them with my 436 and other stuff. I recently went through my scanner, which the zone was scanning P25, NXDN and analog, trimmed out the "fat", set the hang times to next to nothing, and I stopped missing as many transmissions. I realized how much I was missing the way it was set originally after monitoring a few channels on two sources at once.
are you referring to the "hold time"? I have that set on 4 seconds. This also occurs when i am not scanning and just have the sheriff channel on manual hold

lkas

are you referring to the "hold time"? I have that set on 4 seconds. This also occurs when i am not scanning and just have the sheriff channel on manual hold
i had the hold time set for 2 seconds, i adjusted that too 1 second. We shall see

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Interesting... I've only had "issues" when scanning, bouncing between bands and various digital formats, never when held on a specific channel though. The hold time wouldn't/shouldn't effect your results if your manually on that frequency.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i have no issues picking up P25 Erie county sheriff cars as well as SP patrols dispatched by the county. However, I never seem to hear the SP Collins cars radio id 3AXX.

3AXX translates to, Troop A, Zone 3

What freqs are you actually scanning ? Conventional or a P25 trunked system? You said you tried removing the Nac. Was that on this?
460.0750 EC Sheriff Patrol Dispatch F86 NAC

If you go to the NYSP Troop A website, it says they serve Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming counties. It also lists stations in zone 3.

StationsAddressPhone
Jamestown3081 N. Main St. Ext., Jamestown, NY 14701716-665-3113
Fredonia10274 Route 60, Fredonia, NY 14063716-679-1521
Collins13670 Route 62 PO Box 430, Collins, NY 14034716-941-9300
ElleryChautauqua Lake Rest Area, I86 Bemus Point, NY 14712716-665-3113

If you go to the NYSP page here in the database for Troop A, it lists these,

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
155.50500 KED907 B110.9 PLTroop A BaseBase to Mobile FMN Law Dispatch
155.53500 KA6004 M127.3 PLA1 MobileZone 1 Mobile to Base FMN Law Dispatch
155.53500 KA6004 M146.2 PLA2 MobileZone 2 Mobile to Base FMN Law Dispatch
155.53500 KA6004 M167.9 PLA3 MobileZone 3 Mobile to Base FMN Law Dispatch
155.53500 KA6004 M192.8 PLA4 MobileZone 4 Mobile to Base FMN Law Dispatch
155.53500 KA6004 M110.9 PLA Non-NYSPNon-NYSP Mobile to Base FMN Law Dispatch

You could try putting these in
155.535 167.9 Zone 3 Mobile to Base
155.505 110.9 Base to Mobile
The conventional system can have a hold (hang / delay) time but set the hold on the 2 individual freqs to zero or you will miss parts of the conversation.

Above those freqs in the database, it also states that Troop A zone 3 also operates on the Chautauqua County Public Safety System most likely talk group 8001 with a note saying, " Numerous law enforcement agencies, including State Police units, are dispatched on TG 8001 "

I have zero issues hearing them with my 436 and other stuff.

You must have one hell of an antenna to be picking up anything from New York from your location of Merica. Thats between Haiti and Puerto Rico Lol

lkas

What freqs are you actually scanning ? Conventional or a P25 trunked system? You said you tried removing the Nac. Was that on this?

If you go to the NYSP Troop A website, it says they serve Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming counties. It also lists stations in zone 3.

StationsAddressPhone
Jamestown3081 N. Main St. Ext., Jamestown, NY 14701716-665-3113
Fredonia10274 Route 60, Fredonia, NY 14063716-679-1521
Collins13670 Route 62 PO Box 430, Collins, NY 14034716-941-9300
ElleryChautauqua Lake Rest Area, I86 Bemus Point, NY 14712716-665-3113

If you go to the NYSP page here in the database for Troop A, it lists these,

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
155.50500KED907B110.9 PLTroop A BaseBase to MobileFMNLaw Dispatch
155.53500KA6004M127.3 PLA1 MobileZone 1 Mobile to BaseFMNLaw Dispatch
155.53500KA6004M146.2 PLA2 MobileZone 2 Mobile to BaseFMNLaw Dispatch
155.53500KA6004M167.9 PLA3 MobileZone 3 Mobile to BaseFMNLaw Dispatch
155.53500KA6004M192.8 PLA4 MobileZone 4 Mobile to BaseFMNLaw Dispatch
155.53500KA6004M110.9 PLA Non-NYSPNon-NYSP Mobile to BaseFMNLaw Dispatch

The conventional system can have a hold (hang / delay) time but set the hold on the 2 individual freqs to zero or you will miss parts of the conversation.

Above those freqs in the database, it also states that Troop A zone 3 also operates on the Chautauqua County Public Safety System most likely talk group 8001 with a note saying, " Numerous law enforcement agencies, including State Police units, are dispatched on TG 8001 "

You must have one hell of an antenna to be picking up anything from New York from your location of Merica. Thats between Haiti and Puerto Rico Lol

I have it set on conventional P25 Erie county sheriff . The NAC i had was F86. I can hear all county and SP cars except for Zone 3 collins cars. I can hear the county cars that are covering collins. Dispatch will call 3Axx and my sds100 shows a full signal after dispatch calls but has no audio. A few seconds later i hear dispatch acknowledge the 3AXX car so i know dispatch is hear them I removed the NAC and set it to search but that did not work. I adjusted the squelch from my normal 2 to 0 with no luck. It is weird but i do not know why this does this. Every other car no matter where in the county or what agency it belongs to i can hear. Just not SP Collins cars

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The first thing to find out is where zone 3 Collins units are transmitting. I do not see anything anywhere saying they operate on the conventional P25 Erie County Sheriff freq 460.0750. That freq is licensed to Erie County Sheriff. Only way SP would be able to transmit on that freq is if they were issued radios by the Erie County Sheriff office.

Collins is toward the southern part of Erie county. Where are you?

lkas

The first thing to find out is where zone 3 Collins units are transmitting. I do not see anything anywhere saying they operate on the conventional P25 Erie County Sheriff freq 460.0750. That freq is licensed to Erie County Sheriff. Only way SP would be able to transmit on that freq is if they were issued radios by the Erie County Sheriff office.

Collins is toward the southern part of Erie county. Where are you?
i am in cheektowaga. The Erie county sheriff dispatches state police in the county. The SP cars have county radios installed in them

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i am in .

Collins is close to 30 miles south of you (Cheektowaga). Is it possible you are just out of range to receive them? Can you receive anyone else on 460.0750 that are transmitting that far away? What kind of antenna are you using?

lkas

Collins is close to 30 miles south of you (Cheektowaga). Is it possible you are just out of range to receive them? Can you receive anyone else on 460.0750 that are transmitting that far away? What kind of antenna are you using?
i have a omni x outdoor antenna. I can hear every other county dispatched car from grand island to collins including the sheriff cars when the are in collins or springville. I also have no issues picking up niagara, orleans, genesee , wyoming, and chautauqua counties as well.

ak716

Premium Subscriber

Well,

NYSP in Erie County (Collins included) primarily operates on ECSO's P25 conventional simulcast system. Cheektowaga, his location, being out of range while being well within the primary area intended for this well built out conventional simulcast system isn't even a remote possibility. Especially if he's hearing everything else on that frequency. There is next to no traffic on the NYSP Troop A channels in Erie and Niagara Co, other than minimal "company" business.

NYSP DOES have the various ECSO frequencies properly programmed in their NYSP issued radios (predominantly APX8000's, which ECSO does not regularly issue out to their patrol units). Its nothing new. Its been that way for years. They are NOT county issued radios. Only the various county agencies and a small amount of specific grant recipients have county issued radios. He's probably having some sort of scanner issue still to be determined. So, if that's the case they need "issued radios by the Erie County Sheriffs Office", how is it that multiple other local, state and federal agencies have their agency issued radios with ECSO programmed in them, regularly, lawfully operate on it? MOU? Asking for a friend.....;)

The Zone 3 cars switch over to Chautauqua Co's TRS when they go into Chautauqua Co, and Zone 3 cars switch back onto ECSO Ch 1 when taking calls in Erie County, and regardless, Chautauqua Co had nothing to do with this thread.

The only other non-scanner issue explanation I can think of for your issue, which various units throughout the county who operate on ECSO's Ch 1 experience this is, they accidently toggled over to Ch 2. ECSO dispatchers normally have multiple channels they are transmitting on (Ch 1 and Ch 2 normally) at the same time, however, are obviously two different frequencies and are not patched. It is common to hear ECSO call a unit on Ch 1, while multi-selected, and hear that unit answer on Ch 2 instead. They will generally give out that call to them, and tell them to switch back to Ch 1, as they are on Ch 2 instead.

k2hz

Database Admin
Well,

NYSP in Erie County (Collins included) primarily operates on ECSO's P25 conventional simulcast system. Cheektowaga, his location, being out of range while being well within the primary area intended for this well built out conventional simulcast system isn't even a remote possibility. Especially if he's hearing everything else on that frequency. There is next to no traffic on the NYSP Troop A channels in Erie and Niagara Co, other than minimal "company" business.

NYSP DOES have the various ECSO frequencies properly programmed in their NYSP issued radios (predominantly APX8000's, which ECSO does not regularly issue out to their patrol units). Its nothing new. Its been that way for years. They are NOT county issued radios. Only the various county agencies and a small amount of specific grant recipients have county issued radios. He's probably having some sort of scanner issue still to be determined. So, if that's the case they need "issued radios by the Erie County Sheriffs Office", how is it that multiple other local, state and federal agencies have their agency issued radios with ECSO programmed in them, regularly, lawfully operate on it? MOU? Asking for a friend.....;)

The Zone 3 cars switch over to Chautauqua Co's TRS when they go into Chautauqua Co, and Zone 3 cars switch back onto ECSO Ch 1 when taking calls in Erie County, and regardless, Chautauqua Co had nothing to do with this thread.

The only other non-scanner issue explanation I can think of for your issue, which various units throughout the county who operate on ECSO's Ch 1 experience this is, they accidently toggled over to Ch 2. ECSO dispatchers normally have multiple channels they are transmitting on (Ch 1 and Ch 2 normally) at the same time, however, are obviously two different frequencies and are not patched. It is common to hear ECSO call a unit on Ch 1, while multi-selected, and hear that unit answer on Ch 2 instead. They will generally give out that call to them, and tell them to switch back to Ch 1, as they are on Ch 2 instead.
That makes sense, Andy. Since the OP is obviously hearing all activity on the repeater, not hearing certain units has nothing to do with his location or his scanner settings. I refrained from commenting since I am not close enough to be familiar with that system but it seemed logical the SP car transmissions were not being repeated on the frequency he is monitoring. The cars answering on a different channel also monitored by the dispatcher is a probable explaination.

Your original suggestion of scan "hang" time could be a solution for monitoring if the SP cars operate on CH2 and both channels are scanned. SP tends to have their radios scanning to hear both County and State so the SP car could be hearing calls on CH1 and not realize they are answering on CH2. The dispatcher still hears them and so no apparent problem unless the dispatcher makes an issue of it.

NYAirOne

i have a omni x outdoor antenna. I can hear every other county dispatched car from grand island to collins including the sheriff cars when the are in collins or springville. I also have no issues picking up niagara, orleans, genesee , wyoming, and chautauqua counties as well.

Your picking up the Nia Co P25 system in Cheektowaga?? What part are you in? Im in south Cheektowaga near Lancaster/Depew area with a discone antenna at about 30ft and i can't get a lock on the Nia Co system??

lkas

i am near union Road at Losson rd. I have the omni X antenna mounted outside on roof of 2 story house. With just that antenna and the cable i have no issues getting niagara cty P25 loud and clear. What scanner are u using?

NYAirOne

i am near union Road at Losson rd. I have the omni X antenna mounted outside on roof of 2 story house. With just that antenna and the cable i have no issues getting niagara cty P25 loud and clear. What scanner are u using?

I have Uniden 996XTs and 996P2 radios. What height is your antenna at? How do you like the OmniX? I had been thinking about getting one of those before. I just got a new Diamond discone to replace my old radio shack one that's about 15 yrs old almost.

lkas

I have Uniden 996XTs and 996P2 radios. What height is your antenna at? How do you like the OmniX? I had been thinking about getting one of those before. I just got a new Diamond discone to replace my old radio shack one that's about 15 yrs old almost.
My antenna is about 25-30 ft up. It is a very small antenna overall so i mounted it to the peak of the roof of the 2nd story. It works very good. It does pick up 800 mhz genesee/orleans but not too good. I added a remtronix 8 inch rubber 800mhz antenna in line with it now both orleans and gensee counties come in strong. If i just use the omni X i can get everything in erie county, niagara cty p25, wyoming and Chat cty P28 with no issues. I also get the canada 700 mhz fire system. I did not want a large discone on the roof so i went with the omni X. It does cost more money but for what i want it was well worth it. The niagara p25 systems comes in strong with no issues

ak716

Premium Subscriber
I'm able to get it with my SDR's crystal clear in the southtowns, discone on a 1 story roof surrounded by trees. 436 with a Diamond inside the house is eh on most days. I demo'd a Unication G2, and for the heck of it, threw it in there and was getting it outside of my house with zero issues, intermittent coverage inside with the little nubby antenna. But, my Chautauqua, Catt and Genesee Co reception is hit or miss even on the discone.

lkas

I'm able to get it with my SDR's crystal clear in the southtowns, discone on a 1 story roof surrounded by trees. 436 with a Diamond inside the house is eh on most days. I demo'd a Unication G2, and for the heck of it, threw it in there and was getting it outside of my house with zero issues, intermittent coverage inside with the little nubby antenna. But, my Chautauqua, Catt and Genesee Co reception is hit or miss even on the discone.
Your Chautauqua cty reception surprises me. Even before i got the omni X i had a Diamond rubber portable antenna that i put on my roof. I used old RG6 directv line that was there to feed it into the house. Even with that antenna Chautauqua cty came blasting in full signal and RSSI -60. I have not heard of anyone that can get Catt Cty reguarly around here. It is the one Dept that i have tried over and over to pickup with no luck. The weird part of my Erie cty issue is every other dept/car/portable come in full is signal. When dispatch calls the SP Collins cars i hear that. When they respond the scanner shows "p25" and full signal just no audio. A couple seconds later i will hear the county 5-south collins car on the air loud and clear. I guess we all have our reception issues.