• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

ERNESTO: Let's Try This Again, FEMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's gonna make U.S. landfall in less than 1 week. We know it's coming. There's no excuse this time. What is the government doing RIGHT NOW ? :confused:

If they aren't loading supplies, gathering personnel, fueling trucks, etc. AS WE SPEAK, then they're just as slack as they were last year.

Companies like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. need to be good corporate citizens and start beefing up their staffing and invenetories NOW, not later, but RIGHT NOW. :evil::evil:

By the time it hits the Gulf Coast, there should already be emergency response teams and National Guard troops complete with rifles, food, water, medical supplies, etc. STAGED within 150 - 200 miles or less ready to move in.

That's right. I said RIFLES . IN ADVANCE, as in START DOING STUFF RIGHT
NOW.

And did I forget to say WHEN all of this should be happening ? :roll:

Right now! :mad::evil::roll::(:evil:

GM

Premium Subscriber
As with anything in Government, if it makes sense, it will not be done that way until it's too late to do so & after much un-needed blame & political discussion!

Last edited:

rdale

Johnny - serious keyboard issues...

Anyways we think it'll hit the US somewhere between Key West and Houston in about a week. No idea if it'll be a cluster of showers or Cat 5 hurricane. So it makes no sense to pre-position all those resources.

No sense at all...

garys

Premium Subscriber
JohnnyGalaga said:
It's gonna make U.S. landfall in less than 1 week. We know it's coming. There's no excuse this time. What is the government doing RIGHT NOW ? :confused:

We don't really know much as hurricanes seem particularly hard to track. We KNEW less than 72 hours before landfall that Katrina was going to whack the s*** out of Florida, not Louisiana. How do I know? I was in New Orleans Thursday night having dinner with a bunch of businessmen from FL. They were leaving the conference we were at early because they had to get home to prepare for the storm. Less than 24 hours after that, Katrina changed course.

Oh, it's not the responsibility of the LOCAL and STATE governments to make the initial response to any sort of natural disaster. Everyone at the STATE and LOCAL level is aware of that.

Gary

Trunkster2002

The Government should perform Governmental duties. If it does get near the US. Whatever Cities near landfall SHOULD EVACUATE! Don't depend on stupid Mayor's with RACIST views or Governors that does not have a clue. The US Government has never had a SUPERMAN to swoop in and save the day. So simply EVACUATE!

rdale

Not sure that Nagin's racism (he hates blacks?) affected the lack of planning by his staff / EMA... If your told to evacuate a family of 6, don't have a car, and your city doesn't provide transportation - how do you get out?

Why is it that even before reading some responses, the LACK of KEYBOARD conTROL and Capital letters where they Aren't needed, periods where they shouldn't be, and overuse of apostrophes gives gives you an idea what the content will be ;> ?

red8

I just heard on the local news in Baton Rouge that her majesty Governor Blancstare has ordered getting schoolbusses ready for the
New Orleans area. I've have not heard anything from his honor Mayor
Chocolate City Ray Nagin. He has been too busy putting his foot in his
mouth again with the 60 Minutes film crew. I also saw on the local
weather that the computer models are showing several different paths it could take, depednding on a ridge of high pressure that is over the area. The weatherman showed that the storm can make
landfall anywhere from Cameron,La over to the Florida panhandle.
He also showed that if it continues the projected path it to the north
it could reach category 3 before landfall in the above area. Believe
me I went through Katrina last year and according to one of the computer models it shows Ernesto basically taking the route that
Katrina took last year. If I find out any more info I will let everybody
know. As it stands right now your guess is as good as mine.

red8

PS
I am ashamed to be from the same state that Governor Blanco and
Ray Nagin are from. People need to get off their you know whats and
get ready. This country was founded on hard work, not people sitting
on their fat you know whats expecting hand outs

Go-24

I guess the OP agrees with the price of gas going up the very second this storm was identified. LOL

Dont you think it would be wise to know whats going on before you do anything? Hell I am going fishing next week, I better go ahead and get my lifevest on right now. Hell for that matter we might as well prepare for armegeddon RIGHT NOW.

CLB

The way I look at it, is they can do like we've been doing in Charleston since BEFORE Katrina.

We've been stocking up on MRE's, fuel for generators and vans/ aircraft, batteries, water....TRAINING FOR IT WITH STATE EOC FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF AUGUST FOR WHEN IT HAPPENS. We've come out of this with triple redundancy, countless newly trained people, high and tight, greasy side down operations.

I DARE a f*cking hurricane to hit SC now. (/end tired of training for it rant haha)

That, and they can swallow their pride and leave. It's not the storm that's dangerous...it's what the damn thing is blowing around that is.

fnnm1062

longtime member
If I may ask a question, why has all of a sudden this become a big issue, as far as the government and major disasters? Just because New Orleans was unfortunately hit last year, what about past major disasters that have occured with little or no outcry as to where was the government. For example: Hurricane Andrew, Snowstorms & blizzards of the Midwest and Northeast, Wildfires out west, etc.... I dont see any of these residents complaining that the government should have done more. My thoughts on this are that you knowingly move into an area and need to be prepared or adapt to those weather conditions> Now I understand he heavily hit area of New Orleans was not of upper class or even middle class but if a hurricane was coming I would be finding a way to leave town. I know this may draw criticsm, but I felt I need to post my 2 cents. Oh and by the way, I am prepared if I happen to get dumped on come winter this year.

rdale

"Hurricane Andrew"

Seriously? Our government was shown to be an absolute disaster in that case, not bringing in supplies / manpower / food / water / etc. Still used as a case study in EM courses. That brought about MAJOR changes in EM and may have helped Bush to lose Florida in the '92 elections.

Unfortunately those lessons are forgotten with time. Sort of like you forgetting that people suffered a GREAT DEAL due to the lack of FEMA help.

"Now I understand he heavily hit area of New Orleans was not of upper class or even middle class but if a hurricane was coming I would be finding a way to leave town"

If you don't have a car, don't know someone with a car, and the city doesn't provide a way for you to get 300 miles inland - exactly how would you and your 85-y/o grandmother and toddler grandchildren get there?

BMT

Rumor Control has it Fl. will activate the state EOC tomorrow. ;-))

BMT

Status
Not open for further replies.