ERNESTO: Let's Try This Again, FEMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Wow, what a difference 10 hours makes. Last night I was looking at the 5 day prediction and it was heading straight for us in Alabama and now it's looping back into Florida. I can say I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

Living here on the coast, these tropical systems are a way of life. Most of them are no big deal. We loose power for a day or less in most cases but Katrina hit a very dense urban area and caused allot of problems.

Having been through many of these, I have to interject. YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You can't wait for the government to come in and help. Yes, I think they they were ill prepared last year but it was just as much the victims fault if not theirs. You know it's coming. Leave or prepare. I already have enough gas for a week for my generator, plenty of food and water. I don't expect a thing from my governement except to keep civil order. Looting stops at my property line.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
"Last night I was looking at the 5 day prediction and it was heading straight for us in Alabama and now it's looping back into Florida."

Never look at the line in the middle - use the bubble. Florida was in the bubble yesterday.

Mozilla

Ernesto

Well its Sunday morning and EOCS across Florida and also other groups are already meeting and seeting some plans into motion. You can bet the Keys will order an evacuation at some level ( Work is also being done on US1 so Card Sound is gonna be crowded as the shutdown is between Key Largo and Florida City. ) Currently its looking like Tampa north thru the Panhandle.. for the highest probability. Gulf temps are ideal for fast redevelopment and some strenghtening when it comes off of Cuba into the gulf.
Fortunately it looks like Florida( one of the better prepared states) wil be taking this one.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
rdale said:
"Last night I was looking at the 5 day prediction and it was heading straight for us in Alabama and now it's looping back into Florida."

Never look at the line in the middle - use the bubble. Florida was in the bubble yesterday.
Well, those of us that live on the coast use it as a direction finder. It shifts, it moves, but if it's pointed at us, panic ensues. LOL

I was at walmart last night and the door greater was showing it to everyone with us being in the middle of the strike path. At least it helps flush the tourists out of here.

elk2370bruce

Should be a Hurricane Nagin. Lots of wind and an equal opportunity offender. While we think and plan globally, ALL emergencies occur LOCALLY. If local efforts are either non-existent or totally inadequate, mutual aid arrives too late for best effectiveness. The further away the assistance is, the longer it takes to alert, deploy, and begin help. Lay a goodly part of the blame on local, parish, and state officials. Let's see whether the hard lessons of last year have sunk in with Hizzoner and her majesty the governor or will it be business as usual. As Yogi Berra said, "Its De Ja Vu all over again". To succeed this time, they will need elected leaders who care about something beyond themselves and their own press relations.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
trace1 said:
Well, at least for now, it’s been downgraded to a Tropical Storm...

That too could change once it hits the Gulf of Mexico. I do know that some federal disaster teams are being moved south in case.

Gary

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
garys said:
Racism doesn't just apply to blacks. Look up the definition.

Gary
Since the post was about poor blacks in New Orleans being ignored, and the person ignoring is Mayor Nagin, then he's accusing Nagin of being anti-black.

red8

I know I saw on the Weather Channel this morning that the storm
had taken a northerly turn and had aimed itself at Florida. I have an
aunt and uncle that live in West Palm Beach, they're both pretty old
and to tell the truth I'm a little concerned about them. My aunt has
alzheimers and my uncle has a real bad heart. And another thing the people down in New Orleans that stayed home think the Government
owes them. There are jobs galore in both New Orleans and in the
Baton Rouge Metro area that are paying well .But they want to moan
groan, gripe and complain and not do anything to make the situation
any better.

jeffrey420

JohnnyGalaga said:
It's gonna make U.S. landfall in less than 1 week. We know it's coming. There's no excuse this time. What is the government doing RIGHT NOW ? :confused:

If they aren't loading supplies, gathering personnel, fueling trucks, etc. AS WE SPEAK, then they're just as slack as they were last year.

Companies like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. need to be good corporate citizens and start beefing up their staffing and invenetories NOW, not later, but RIGHT NOW. :evil::evil:

By the time it hits the Gulf Coast, there should already be emergency response teams and National Guard troops complete with rifles, food, water, medical supplies, etc. STAGED within 150 - 200 miles or less ready to move in.

That's right. I said RIFLES . IN ADVANCE, as in START DOING STUFF RIGHT
NOW.

And did I forget to say WHEN all of this should be happening ? :roll:

Right now! :mad::evil::roll::(:evil:

What are you doing about it Johnny?

red8

I saw him on 60 Minutes tonight and the people of this nation really got to see what goes on down here. This is the Banana Republic in action. Things in this state have always been handled in this manner
for as long as I have been living here. I mean him and Governor Blancstare had some busses to transport the people from the SuperDome, However they were shown on TV sitting in a flooded
parking lot. These busses could have been used from the gitgo to
assist , but did they do it?.Not Just No, But Hell No !!!!!!
I am speaking from experience of living here in Louisiana for almost
40 years

bigdaddyduke

I don't live in an area prone to disasters. We don't flood, no tornados, hurricaines don't happen here. Our biggest risk is the "big one" (earthquake). This being said I take it upon myself to be prepared to be on my own for at least 72 hours with no support from anyone.

If I lived in area where natural disasters were more common I would expect to be independant for much longer. Why is it that many feel that it the responsibility of the government to rescue/help/support people in a disaster. There are so many other 'things' that take should take priority such as rebuilding infrastructure, law enforcement, etc. Am I alone in this thinking?

I guess I am looking to understand why people feel that they do not need to take responsibility for themselves???

Sorry for the rant - It is late and I can't sleep...

PortCop

bigdaddyduke said:
I guess I am looking to understand why people feel that they do not need to take responsibility for themselves???

Sorry for the rant - It is late and I can't sleep...
Because we've become a lazy helpless and clueless society, and it's only going to get worse. Hell, they get lost and need directions as they hold a printout from Google Maps telling them how to get where they are going. They don't even change flat tires anymore. They'd rather wait an hour for a tow truck to come change it for them. It's just easier to have people do things for them. And don't forget the certain faction of society that feels they are "owed" everything but that's another story.

Sorry for my rant - It's early and I couldn't sleep

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Here we are, two days after the first frantic post and we still don't know what or where to stage these "emergency response teams and National Guard troops complete with rifles, food, water, medical supplies, etc." Which Government Johnny and where should their National Guard forces have been staged two days ago? Sounds more like - do it anyway...right or wrong.

Last edited:

N4CYA

I just hope my sister & her husband make it through Hurricane Ernesto thats all I ask for.

K9GTJ

kingpin said:
...Having been through many of these, I have to interject. YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You can't wait for the government to come in and help. Yes, I think they they were ill prepared last year but it was just as much the victims fault if not theirs. You know it's coming. Leave or prepare. I already have enough gas for a week for my generator, plenty of food and water. I don't expect a thing from my governement except to keep civil order. Looting stops at my property line.
How dare you suggest personal responsibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.