error Messages on DSDPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hi, folks. DSDPlus via my WS 1080 discriminator output works great on my ten year old Aspire laptop with the "Line In" in addition to the microphone port. Bought a new Lenovo. No "Line In", just the microphone port, and it would not take any audio from my WS 1080. Checked around and found out that I needed an external sound card. Bought one; it has separate inputs for Line In and microphone. Nothing via the Line In but the microphone port accepts the audio signal into the laptop and the signal gets processed, but I consistently get error codes. 1 - Is that why I'm not hearing anything ? 2 - Does this have to do with an incorrect configuration of the com port into which I have the sound card connected ? 3 - Any other ideas? Much appreciated, folks.

M105

Initial thought is check the levels, Microphone boost, kbps rate, mono/stereo. If the computer has a built in microphone mute or disable it as room sounds creeping into the audio will mess you up. Also check any "smartaudio" filtering/mixing etc. that might be running.

racingfan360

I'd say the error codes are most likely to be as a result of feeding the signal in via the microphone socket......it's pretty much guaranteed this will give you problems. I doubt it's a COM port error, though you possibly have an issue with the driver for your soundcard if the line-in isn't working?

Try to focus on getting the line-in feed working (check driver/volume control/set to maximum quality decode levels/check that both Windows and DSD+ is selecting this input as the default recording and input device etc). Failing that i might try a new soundcard: I recommend this startech model:

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/External-USB-Sound-Card~ICUSBAUDIOMH

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
IMO don't even think about buying a new sound card, if you get rtl sdr dongles the sound card/audio problems totally go away.

moonbounce

I have the same setup minus the ws 1080 and had to use a special adaptor to plug into my mic input, the adaptr has the mic in and headphone in which you plug into the mike input. That is on a lenovo t420.

I was unable to get detectable audio into the microphone input of some USB audio dongles until I realized that the microphone inputs were three-conductors. The tip is the audio input, and the ring is a bias voltage for the microphone. I had to make adapter pigtails which left the ring connection of the microphone jack non-connected, the audio from my scanner to the tip contact, and the shell of the microphone jack to the shell of my scanner audio cable.

I found that inserting a two-conductor plug into a computer microphone jack gave mixed results. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Using one of these pigtails with the ring/mike bias contact disconnected always worked for the inputs I tried. It took waaaay too long for me to figure this out :-(

slicerwizard

Nothing via the Line In but the microphone port accepts the audio signal into the laptop and the signal gets processed, but I consistently get error codes.
The signal from the scanner is likely designed to feed a line input, which would make it too strong for a mic input.

1 - Is that why I'm not hearing anything ?
That would be my guess.

2 - Does this have to do with an incorrect configuration of the com port into which I have the sound card connected ?
The sound card connects to a COM port? Never heard of that before.

3 - Any other ideas? Much appreciated, folks.
If you record the raw audio of a strong local signal and upload that audio somewhere, we could give you definitive answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.