Error rate adjustment on digital Freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsch6373

How do I adjust the error rate for a digital freq within a conventional system? I have the freq and NAC entered but sometimes the signal drops out (have no priority settings enabled) and I miss part of the transmission. This is on the 396XT. Changing the setting on the 'T' was much easier than on the XT. I have the audio set for digital (that's how I was able to enter the NAC - Thanks, UpMan!) but now the problem with the reception. Would cloudy weather account for the wide range of figures I see when I monitor the error rate? While I don't know where the repeater tower is located, the town I'm monitoring is within 3 miles of my location.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Apart from changing settings, the other thing to try is a better antenna. Digital is much more sensitive to distortion and dropping when you have a weak signal than analog

73 Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Press the HOLD button while powering up the radio. You'll see the display color cycle, then go to Menu/Setting, P25 Adjust Level, and change from 50 to a 100-200 range to try to keep the decode more stable. Keep in mind the default is 50, you'll need to experiment to see what number works well for your system.

Tsch6373

I'm using an antenna tuned for UHF, also various others including RS 800. I haven't had much of a problem receiving this particular freq before but I had a 'T' going at the same time as this 'XT' and I noticed that when the drop-out ocurred on the XT, the T was still receiving the signal.

I will try adjusting the error rate per your instructions. Thank you both for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.