Escondido PD scanner silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
When was the lasrt time anyone heard Escondido PD unencrypted? Since last week, I don't recall hearing anything from them, and all night, they have been encrypted on Dispatch 1 for all traffic since I've been locked in. :cry:

Paul

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Very concerning... I have always felt that the vast majority of those that monitor and enjoy this hobby, are law abiding citizens. I could not be more pro law enforcement, but admit I am troubled and disappointed in regard to this secrecy and non-transparency.

Hopefully Escondido will reconsider this decision.

Mike_G_D

I noticed over the last few days increasing encrypted traffic on Escondido's dispatch but until late yesterday only partially. I say "partially" in that I could usually hear the dispatcher in the clear while some of the mobiles were encrypted. But then yesterday, unsure exactly when, I started to hear full encryption on the EPD dispatch channel with no clear voice.

I seem to recall that Escondido had occasionally encrypted before under special occasions - I am not aware of any "special occasions" occurring in Escondido at this time, however.

-Mike

tomjones666

Escondido PD probably encrypted the feed to protect while they release the bodycam footage of the officer involved shooting last month (I doubt it though). They have until August 3rd to release the footage per California law.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
We did see El Cajon PD and La Mesa PD encrypt briefly immediately following the George Floyd protests and looting. La Mesa came back almost immediately after when things calmed down and El Cajon came back a couple weeks later. Maybe (perhaps wishful thinking) Escondido will do something similar.

StevenS

Hi Don and all,

I am guessing my question would be most likely for Don and is just a general procedural question relating to encrypting dispatch traffic.
Now that we've seen this twice in recent months, when an agency in our county decides to encrypt their traffic for whatever reason, and for whatever length of time, do they need to inform anyone at any level in the county about that decision, or can they elect to do this at will?

I was just curious if any county administrative personnel, board of supervisors, or any other office or personnel besides the department encrypting really ever weighs in on these decisions, or is it left to the discretion of the department to do this as they see fit? I think I recall (but may be misremembering) you mentioning in a thread somewhere over the years that the LE radios are all programmed for encryption, but it is up to department to make that call for themselves. Just curious how that works in general.

Thanks,
Steve

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure they don't need to notify anyone...the RCS programs the selectable secure keys for interop and their respective agency, then the agency can flip the switch on a radio by radio basis...Esco is coming up on their radio reprogramming phase with the RCS to remove old RCS programming, at which time they would have the option to slave all their talkgroups to full time encryption. When El Cajon went encrypted last month, ASTREA didn't know what was happening, and it caused issues. They ended up running calls with ASTREA or outside agency K9's on LE South Tac 1, so at least with Escondido, any really major incidents will be patched to a clear mutual aid channel assuming a chopter or outside agency/K9 must assist.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Hi Don and all,

I am guessing my question would be most likely for Don and is just a general procedural question relating to encrypting dispatch traffic.
Now that we've seen this twice in recent months, when an agency in our county decides to encrypt their traffic for whatever reason, and for whatever length of time, do they need to inform anyone at any level in the county about that decision, or can they elect to do this at will?

I was just curious if any county administrative personnel, board of supervisors, or any other office or personnel besides the department encrypting really ever weighs in on these decisions, or is it left to the discretion of the department to do this as they see fit? I think I recall (but may be misremembering) you mentioning in a thread somewhere over the years that the LE radios are all programmed for encryption, but it is up to department to make that call for themselves. Just curious how that works in general.

Thanks,
Steve

It is up to the Department involved.

StevenS

Thanks Paul and Don. I guess we'll see what happens next, in terms of if this is temporary or permanent.
Thanks again guys.

Steve

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have heard from several sources, one within the department, that this is planned to be permanent. As a member of the news media, this makes my job more difficult. When El Cajon went encrypted, I had to use Medcom as a fallback to get details on traffic accident and ADW calls. It's not ideal, but better than nothing...by nothing I mean "Orange County".

Paul

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
With Escondido going to full encryption this should not be a big surprise as more surrounding departments will follow in time. The system upgrade is most likely complete and now its time to fine tune each department with talkgroups and their Motorola Codeplugs and start added encryption.

With what has been seen in LA area as well as OC and Riverside County and SBDCO this is going to be permanent.

Paysonscanner

#thefirstdomino

Paul

There is a book titled "The First Domino." I recommend it as a thoroughly researched book on the Vietnam War. Yes, if Escondido encrypts others will likely follow. It hasn't hit any of the rural areas I'm familiar with. Rural areas in the west, for the most part, have had interoperability on VHF-High for about 50 years now, especially since the 1980's when PROM and EPROM radios started to be purchased by agencies, which increased the frequency capacity of radios.

Mike_G_D

So, for whatever it's worth, this morning I've noticed I hear one side in the clear on Esc. dispatch.

Might be a fluke like a forgot-to-hit-the-switch type deal or ??

I have to listen closer but it seems like it was the dispatcher in the clear with the field units still encrypted.

Just fyi.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.