Escondido PD scanner silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_G_D

Hmm, interesting...maybe...or still could mean zip...

Also heard yesterday, EPD Tac 1 had some chase or some such all in the clear. Probably for mutual aid monitoring, or could be they just didn't have tac tied with enc.

-Mike

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Doesn’t it seem rather odd that these newer digital communication systems that are already in place (as well as those that are planned to come online in the future) that are all paid for by taxpayer dollars should be considered off limits as far as listening to even the general dispatch frequencies go? I understand the necessity for these agencies to encrypt TAC, SWAT and WARRANT frequencies when the situation arises but this is overkill on their part. The airwaves belong to the general public unless we’re talking about business usage and those businesses have a reasonable expectation of privacy and cough up a substantial amount of scratch to use the communication infrastructure. But law enforcement is the public‘s business and there aught to be a reasonable expectation that not everything they do should be hidden from the general public. If they want privacy, let them switch to TAC or use a cell phone. And as for the case described above regarding Washington State and Oregon State Police: Why wasn’t that pursuit conducted on a TAC frequency? If it had, the perp wouldn’t have been able to listen in on every move law enforcement made! A blanket approach such as across the board communication encryption is so typical of a government ‘solution‘ and will inevitably yield the same type of result. In an age where the very image of law enforcement is desperate for some positive light, full encryption is about as stupid a move as they could possibly make.

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
So, for whatever it's worth, this morning I've noticed I hear one side in the clear on Esc. dispatch.

Might be a fluke like a forgot-to-hit-the-switch type deal or ??

I have to listen closer but it seems like it was the dispatcher in the clear with the field units still encrypted.

Just fyi.

-Mike
I used to hear the opposite on Inquiry channel, dispatcher encrypted and field units were in the clear. This was before Dispatch 1 went encrypted. I guess they were testing their systems.

Mike_G_D

Just want to say - let's be careful and keep this thread just about what we're hearing and speculation about same; we don't want to turn this into a debate about encryption and get the thread shut down.

To that end - I am definitely still hearing on EPD dispatch dispatcher in the clear and units encrypted.

And thanks, sparker1962, for that observation. Now that I think about it I seem to recall hearing that on Esc. Inquiry as well.

-Mike

musician2111

I have a feeling that with all of the anti-LE protesting that is occurring nationwide, more LE agencies will want to encrypt all of their comms, especially the Primary Dispatch channels, on a permanent basis.

The threat of the ambush is real. The threat that someone will create a fake call for service, in order to generate a situation where the ambush can take place is made even more possible and tactically successful by being able to listen in on who is coming, from how far out, when they arrive, from what direction, etc.

If that was your husband or wife in the patrol car, you care only that they come home at the end of their shift. And if that means "transparency" takes a back seat, oh well.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I emailed Chief Varso at EPD and he confirmed that the encryption is the last step in a series of radio upgrades begun two years ago. He mentioned criminals monitoring radio frequencies as well as the broadcast of personal information over the air as some reasons for the decision to encrypt. Sadly, the encryption is permanent.

Alain

So, having hit this brick wall, tell me [if you know], how will print, radio and tv media receive their "breaking news" information [evesdropping tow truck drivers too], now that the ESC PD feed is silent?

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
Fire frequencies are still available that could signal certain emergency events such as vehicle accidents, fires, shootings, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.