ESK "Flash" Updates for 396/996

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFsponge

Hello all-

My apologies if this has been addressed in a recent thread. I skimmed as much as I could and didn't see a similar discussion...

Will there be an update available in the near future to allow the 396/996 models to track an EDACS system with ESK enabled? This is of keen interest for us in the Denver area as the city is trying to get it turned on before the Democrat National Convention arrives in August.

There is a very extensive thread in the Colorado Forum called "Denver encrypted by June" (and I know ESK is not encryption. I started that thread, incorrectly titled it, and am unable to edit the title) that describes many different ways of dealing with ESK. But to keep in simple in this thread, I'm just looking for a self-contained-within-the-radio answer in the Uniden world.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

W2SJW

Database Admin
I honestly don't think that it's going to be possible. I always thought that ESK was designed to stop people with illegitimate radios from getting on a specific EDACS system (I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the radio gets the current ESK code when it affiliates as it's powered on, like the way encryption keys on Moto trunk systems get updated if the system is set for OTAR).

That form of operation just isn't possible with a receiver-only device. If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know myself!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
PSR-500/600 have the ability to monitor ESK systems.

mike_webb59

The latest version of Trunker software (eTrunker) can detect ESK. I know of no other way other than a legitimate affiliated radio to be able to monitor a system with ESK.

As you figured out, it's more of an offset bit, but the electronic HP needed to run through an algorithm to determine the ESK isn't available in a scanner. But a computer can easily handle that operation several times a second.

PSR Scanners have a built-in discriminator tap to use with programs like eTrunker. The 396T needs to have a tap modification to work with eTrunker, but I think it can be used as a voice receiver in a eTrunker setup. One can acquire and tap a less expensive scanner.

Check the Etrunker/software threads or EDACS Wiki for more information.

HTH, Mike

DonS

mike_webb59 said:
The latest version of Trunker software (eTrunker) can detect ESK. I know of no other way other than a legitimate affiliated radio to be able to monitor a system with ESK.

As you figured out, it's more of an offset bit, but the electronic HP needed to run through an algorithm to determine the ESK isn't available in a scanner.
As has been mentioned here and in other threads, the GRE PSR-500 and PSR-600 have no problem correctly tracking an EDACS system where ESK is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.