ESK turned on 8/22/08 7:30 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
FYI, ESK was in the plans well before the DNC was announced coming to Denver.

utlchris

Nothing is fullproff..... Just another layer of security on the system.
And as ABQ says it was in the works prior to the DNC and was pushed out just prior to it

That makes sense, but I think I just saw the "key" fly by a few seconds ago, and with a keyspace of only 255 possibilities it is pretty trivial to get on the system. It just means that to attack the system it takes a little bit more money to purchase the correct radio and an hour to brute force the key by hand--it doesn't really change the situation, just the hardware required for the attack.

Besides, an someone could always wait for an authorized user to key up and overpower the input signal to the repeater.

I guess if you look at the number of ESK capable radios in the hands of people that would want to cause problems it does buy some protection for a short while. It would make sense that they would change it at the last minute before the DNC without any public announcement--pretty genius actually, seeing as it really is the only way to make it effective for preventing tampering is to use the element of surprise while people scramble to get new hardware. It makes you wonder if they had a credible threat of someone using interference to disrupt their response during the DNC.

Last edited:

SlamX

I just got my new BC246T in May as a birthday present so I am really bumbed. It's now just about totally useless. Will be awhile before I can affor $500 for a new scanner.

Anyone know which states don't use ESK but the EADS. I'll try to sell it I guess.

I live in the heart of Denver and really can't get Aurora or Arvada very much.

utlchris

SlamX, There is always the update in November.
BC246T/BCT15 11/20/2008 http://www.uniden.com/my/UUpdate825.htm

I just got my new BC246T in May as a birthday present so I am really bumbed. It's now just about totally useless. Will be awhile before I can affor $500 for a new scanner.

Anyone know which states don't use ESK but the EADS. I'll try to sell it I guess.

I live in the heart of Denver and really can't get Aurora or Arvada very much.

Scan-Denver

If I'm reading the reply to SlamX correctly, the Uniden firmware update won't help any scanner to receive Denver except for the 396 and 996.

utlchris

SlamX should be good to go with Denver ESK after the upgrade in November. He should be able to monitor Denver, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and West Metro and any other agency that might go ESK.

However no luck with the State P25 system.

If I'm reading the reply to SlamX correctly, the Uniden firmware update won't help any scanner to receive Denver except for the 396 and 996.

utlchris

Even on his Uniden 246T ??

OK sorry to get anyone’s hopes up. I did see the update page and all the models listed. However, did not pay real close attention to this line......

EDACS ESK Support: We’ll be adding ESK support to both the BCD396T and the BCD996T.

So, my error and I apologize.

Scan-Denver

OK sorry to get anyone’s hopes up. I did see the update page and all the models listed. However, did not pay real close attention to this line......

EDACS ESK Support: We’ll be adding ESK support to both the BCD396T and the BCD996T.

So, my error and I apologize.
No worries Chris, I got trumped up on that one also. I was thinking there was info recently released that I hadn't seen yet.

rckydenver

I did..and 160 is correct for Denver also, and it does work (the firmware change allows trunktracking).

I downloaded the firmware last night, and i actually went threw the 0-160#'s for Denver and soon i put in the 160 in it work, I think it was DGrove who said that 160 was for WheatRidge and put that one in right away and it work right off..Earlier this AM i just found on the Uniden forum by UPMan that 160 is a default setting for EDACS radios. Everything is working great on my end..

Last edited:

SlamX

I am looking at getting the PSR-500 scanner. Is it working ok with all the Denver metro area using ESK?

Thanks

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Even on his Uniden 246T ??

If they can get it to work on their analog scanners I cannot see why not. Sales of their analog trunking scanner line would definitely jump in ESK regions instead of sales going to the competition.

So far it appears that only the high end P25 digital scanners from both companies are apparently capable whether it has anything to do with using the DVSI chip/firmware to accomplish this is not clear at this point.

I have asked here in the Colorado Forum and the Uniden forum in regards to their first FLASHABLE P25 Digital scanners (the 296D and 796D) adding ESK functionality with the flash update planned for the 1st quarter of next year and UPMan has not responded to the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.