• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Evac Tone in Astro Personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

paloozapro

Howdy folks.

I'm building a codeplug for a local group which uses XTS5000's.

Their wants include an astro conventional system, as well as the ability to trigger the evac tone as an all stop (safety stop / evac) for their team. They are using an astro talk group, conventionally, without encryption.

Its pretty straight forward to do this for a non-astro (analog) conventional system, but not an astro personality. I've read through the help files, and the only quotable bit is below, which doesn't tell me what I'd like to know. I've also hunted and pecked at google and around here, to no avail.

"Enables the Evacuation Tone (a high/low sound) to be heard on the transmitting radio and on any radio that is able to receive the tone instruction. The tone begins and is transmitted when the PTT button and the "orange button" are simultaneously pressed. This evacuation tone instruction is transmitted to the radio’s entire talkgroup (for the current channel); the type of talkgroup is dependent on the radio’s current call mode. Once the tone begins to sound, if the orange button is released the tone continues to alarm until the PTT button is released.

AppliesOnly

(When the radio’s current Conventional channel has its Tx Voice/Signal Type set to "Non-ASTRO", and
when the current channel is operating in "Clear" mode (not Secure Encrypted)).
Or
(When the radio’s current Trunking channel has its Protocol Type field set to "Type II", and
when the Trunking Personality Tx Voice/Signal Type field is set to "Analog", and
when the current channel is operating in "Clear" mode (not Secure Encrypted))."

I know this is possible with a console, but they're not interested or able to run a more advanced setup than what they're currently using / developing.

If anyone has any input, even if its as simple as "not possible without a console", it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Howdy folks.

I'm building a codeplug for a local group which uses XTS5000's.

Their wants include an astro conventional system, as well as the ability to trigger the evac tone as an all stop (safety stop / evac) for their team. They are using an astro talk group, conventionally, without encryption.

Its pretty straight forward to do this for a non-astro (analog) conventional system, but not an astro personality. I've read through the help files, and the only quotable bit is below, which doesn't tell me what I'd like to know. I've also hunted and pecked at google and around here, to no avail.

"Enables the Evacuation Tone (a high/low sound) to be heard on the transmitting radio and on any radio that is able to receive the tone instruction. The tone begins and is transmitted when the PTT button and the "orange button" are simultaneously pressed. This evacuation tone instruction is transmitted to the radio’s entire talkgroup (for the current channel); the type of talkgroup is dependent on the radio’s current call mode. Once the tone begins to sound, if the orange button is released the tone continues to alarm until the PTT button is released.

AppliesOnly

(When the radio’s current Conventional channel has its Tx Voice/Signal Type set to "Non-ASTRO", and
when the current channel is operating in "Clear" mode (not Secure Encrypted)).
Or
(When the radio’s current Trunking channel has its Protocol Type field set to "Type II", and
when the Trunking Personality Tx Voice/Signal Type field is set to "Analog", and
when the current channel is operating in "Clear" mode (not Secure Encrypted))."

I know this is possible with a console, but they're not interested or able to run a more advanced setup than what they're currently using / developing.

If anyone has any input, even if its as simple as "not possible without a console", it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.
From the looks of what you posted from the help files it seems that the evacuation tone is only available in analog mode. I have never really played with it or had much use for it on my end let me look into it a little further or maybe some one will beat me to the punch. But I think it's only available over p25 on the APX series radios. From what I read from the help section of the Astro25 CPS is that evac tones are only capable of working on a analog channel. If they must be p25 they will have to figure out another way to send a tone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The most reliable way to get a tone across the air, is to have it supplied by dispatch. Then the format is irrelevant.

Sent via Tapatalk

rescueman433

Evac

The quick fix that I have pulled this off is to set up the digital personality with mixed mode receive as well as the site equipment to mixed mode. Program an analog evac channel near the working channel and activate it via analog.

Not the best setup but the only way I have been able to pull this off on a digital conventional channel.

Good luck. Let me know if you find another "in the field way".

paloozapro

From the looks of what you posted from the help files it seems that the evacuation tone is only available in analog mode. I have never really played with it or had much use for it on my end let me look into it a little further or maybe some one will beat me to the punch. But I think it's only available over p25 on the APX series radios. From what I read from the help section of the Astro25 CPS is that evac tones are only capable of working on a analog channel. If they must be p25 they will have to figure out another way to send a tone.

That was my take away as well. There is one APX, but that will not be the solve they were looking for. Thanks for the input!

The most reliable way to get a tone across the air, is to have it supplied by dispatch. Then the format is irrelevant.

Sent via Tapatalk

This organization does not have a dispatch, nor a console to transmit tones, but thanks for the input.

The quick fix that I have pulled this off is to set up the digital personality with mixed mode receive as well as the site equipment to mixed mode. Program an analog evac channel near the working channel and activate it via analog.

Not the best setup but the only way I have been able to pull this off on a digital conventional channel.

Good luck. Let me know if you find another "in the field way".

Hmm, interesting idea. We're trying to move away from analog, and in turn from mixed mode for a few reasons, but this might be the reason to entertain mixed mode moving forward. The training blurb on how to use the tone will be fun... I can see it already. Thanks rescueman433!

K4RMN

Having tested the evac tone on an XTS5000 myself, I agree with the idea pitched. Make the ASTRO personality mixed-mode receive, have a duplicate personality as non-ASTRO transmit // analog only, and pass the evac tone over that. Radios should respond to it.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Evac Tones cannot be sent in Astro/Digital mode, it CAN be done on Conventional or Trunked but it has to be Analog (non-Astro/mixed-mode).

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Evac Tones cannot be sent in Astro/Digital mode, it CAN be done on Conventional or Trunked but it has to be Analog (non-Astro/mixed-mode).

To update, R16.01.00 supposedly allows for Evacuation Tones on APX radios in Astro personalities.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
To update, R16.01.00 supposedly allows for Evacuation Tones on APX radios in Astro personalities.
Yeah but the OP already stated they are only using 1 apx and the rest of the radios are Astro25 series. It looks like if he wants a digital evac tone he's going to have to buy some apx's.

Status
Not open for further replies.