Evaluation policy at usascan.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Quote from usascan.com: "You must be 100% satisfied with your Bearcat scanner when you order from CEI. All Bearcat scanners purchased directly from CEI are sold for your evaluation and testing for 61 days before you decide to keep it. (excluding extra special CEI E-Values)"

I know many of you have bought radio equipment from CEI, and I was just wondering,
Has anyone taken advantage of their evaluation policy?

Was there a scanner that you didn't like or didn't want afterall that you returned?

How did that go?

electricsheep

I wouldn't know. The last scanner I bought from them was a BC245 due to their stance on not selling any digital scanners to people in Canada. I will continue to buy from other American retailers that have no problems whatsoever in selling to Canadians...

bonus1331

I bought a 796 and returned it within the 61 day policy. They were good about the return and I received a credit quickly.
HOWEVER, they do not reimburse for the shipping costs that they quote at the time of sale.
So for example, if you paid $549.99 which includes their quoted shipping rate of $30.00; then you only receive a refund of $519.99.
Plus, obviously you are also out the shipping you paid to return the item.
I have bought all my scanners through them and have like the service and speed.
But, it is almost like paying a "re-stocking fee" if you return something.

Obvioulsy, I would assume none of this would apply if you has to return something because there was a defect.

I returned the 796 and ended up getting something else down the line.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"I wouldn't know."

If everyone that didn't know an answer to the question posted "I don't know" this forum would fill up fast!

electricsheep

rdale said:
"I wouldn't know."

If everyone that didn't know an answer to the question posted "I don't know" this forum would fill up fast!

I think it was meant more in the vein of we would like to know but unfortunately they have chosen to not sell to this vast market... The price I got on the first of my BC245s there was good, but going through the problems of them insisting that we must obtain a "digital scanner license" to import it into Canada (no such license exists, and is not available from Industry Canada, believe me, I have tried), is just not worth saving a couple of bucks over ordering from somewhere like scannersunlimited.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
bonus1331 said:
I bought a 796 and returned it within the 61 day policy. They were good about the return and I received a credit quickly.
HOWEVER, they do not reimburse for the shipping costs that they quote at the time of sale.
So for example, if you paid $549.99 which includes their quoted shipping rate of $30.00; then you only receive a refund of $519.99.
Plus, obviously you are also out the shipping you paid to return the item.
I have bought all my scanners through them and have like the service and speed.
But, it is almost like paying a "re-stocking fee" if you return something.

Obvioulsy, I would assume none of this would apply if you has to return something because there was a defect.

I returned the 796 and ended up getting something else down the line.
Good to hear that worked out for you. The reason I ask is because I'm considering buying a BCD396T from CEI but kinda weary about how well it will work for me. I mean, my God, the opinions of this scanner are ridicolously varied, from one end of the spectrum straight to the other end.

But it's good to know that you could get most of your money back if it really doesn't meet your expectations.
(I assume what you return has to be in perfect condition.)

Now that credit you got wasn't a store credit, right?? You got a complete refund of your money??

SkipLincoln

Premium Subscriber
I've found CEI to be one of the best internet sellers I've had the pleasure to deal with. The Chairman and CEO is a Firefighter and EMT (and obviously a user of this type of equipment) himself. I suspect he wants you to feel comfortable with your purchase unlike some other retailers who forget about you immediately when the ordered item is shipped or worse, don't respond to your actual order!

When you purchase a scanner from Radio Shack and don't like it, there is an actual person to discuss your concerns with and ultimately refund your money. CEI maintains that same position and extends the timeframe to sixty days. Radio Shack does not refund the cost of your travel to the store and internet retailers don't generally refund shipping charges.

Sorry for the rant, you may be able to tell that I am upset by a different retailer who can't seem to ship a simple product, does not respond to e-mail and takes voice mail by phone.

There are folks on this board who have loyalty to specific vendors when purchasing scanners and equipment. Those vendors have earned that loyalty and mine goes to CEI.

End of rant (sorry), good luck. Oh, by the way, I love my 396 and my 996 will arrive (from CEI) day after tomorrow!

Skip

safetyobc

Just out of curiosity, what do they do with the returns? Re-Sale them as new? i don't see a used list on their site? Do they send them back to Uniden?

Just curious.

matt

Ken WB8LIT

safetyobc said:
Just out of curiosity, what do they do with the returns? Re-Sale them as new? i don't see a used list on their site? Do they send them back to Uniden?

Just curious.

matt
Dave:

As a Master Distributor under contract with Uniden, retruned client products are returned to Uniden for future sale in the Uniden store at www.uniden.com

Ken Ascher WB8LIT
Chairman & CEO
Communications Electronics Inc.
Emergency Operations Center
www.usascan.com

Status
Not open for further replies.